Ferguson Riots

Brian

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
That's great, doesn't really help the fact that police may have executed a black teen, which has become all too common.

Maybe white people shouldn't feel defensive and instead listen to why they are so angry instead of telling them they can't be angry until some standard is met.

Try to imagine if the tools that are supposed to keep society running were instead harassing and threatening and even killing your community. Look how pissed people get at bureaucracy in here, which is justified, now imagine the IRS killing your neighbors. Probably would be more vocal.

Just look at the Ruby Ridge situation...the Branch Davidian compound/David Koresh in Waco....Unabomber...Timothy McVeigh.

In those situations, the arming of militias and posses was justified...not paying taxes or recognizing the right to tax...seceding from the US, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really an ugly mess. I do not think cops should be able to spray tear gas on people who are in their own yards. Use some common sense, police.

I mean the minute the resident tries to climb the fence to approach the police, OK. But this is excessive bulls***.

Also, the cops do appear to have committed a heinous act in killing this un-armed college kid. People have a right to be outraged.

Edited by greg775

police using tear gas and other "less than lethal" methods to break up protests again, firing tear gas canisters into people's yards.

https://twitter.com/jonswaine?original_refe...tw_p=tweetembed

edit live stream of the protests available here

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

Edited by StrangeSox

They need to clean house at the Ferguson police department. They are firing rubber bullets and gas at crowds for no reason and telling people to stop filming? This is a police state.

Obama should get his ass there and hold an immediate meeting with f***ing cops and kick some ass.

Get some people fired ASAP. I mean this is unacceptable. At the minimum, if I'm Obama I get on the phone with the police chief and tell him to get his act together NOW.

Edited by greg775

Something has to be going on that the public doesn't know about it.

Either the Ferguson PD is so concerned about hiding stuff they are acting so violent, or these "peaceful" protesters are causing more trouble than being reported. I'm not picking a side but there seems to be a puzzle piece missing in all of this. Especially given how relatively quiet the national media has been about this.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)

Either the Ferguson PD is so concerned about hiding stuff they are acting so violent, or these "peaceful" protesters are causing more trouble than being reported. I'm not picking a side but there seems to be a puzzle piece missing in all of this. Especially given how relatively quiet the national media has been about this.

Nah, police reaction to protests often follows this same script.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 04:08 AM)
msnbc reporter Trymaine Lee reporting that the police had a sniper on top of a vehicle aiming his weapon into the crowd

The national media has to be scrambling getting its people to Ferguson now. Wonder if they are using the local affiliates. Looks like this is one city in the U.S. with a lot of mean-spirited Barney Fifes running around.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)
The national media has to be scrambling getting its people to Ferguson now. Wonder if they are using the local affiliates. Looks like this is one city in the U.S. with a lot of mean-spirited Barney Fifes running around.

The st. louis county sheriff's department is running the show

When's the last time something like this happened outside of the inner city in America?

1968 Democratic convention in Chicago?

To me, it's reminiscent of the situation after Katrina in New Orleans...although on a much smaller scale.

Or the reaction to the Rodney King beating in LA...and counter-reaction, Reginald Denny, the truck driver pulled from his truck and beaten is the name that still stands out.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)

Well the protesters are very violent with the police, no doubt. But dumb of the police to pass off the media.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:26 PM)
When's the last time something like this happened outside of the inner city in America?

1968 Democratic convention in Chicago?

To me, it's reminiscent of the situation after Katrina in New Orleans...although on a much smaller scale.

Or the reaction to the Rodney King beating in LA...and counter-reaction, Reginald Denny, the truck driver pulled from his truck and beaten is the name that still stands out.

the Occupy protests around the country were almost universally met with heavy police resistance (remember the UC Davis pepper spray cop?) Any time there's a WTO or G8/G7 summit, there's a lot of protesters and a similar police response.

What's different here, imo, is that it's a single, geographic community that is protesting, not people coming in from all over like with the Occupy/WTO/G8 protests.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
Well the protesters are very violent with the police, no doubt. But dumb of the police to pass off the media.

The presence of a few non-peaceful protesters throwing some rocks or bottles does not justify the response and the demands of the police here.

They are indiscriminately tear gasing people, including the media and residential neighborhoods. They are arresting members of the media for taking pictures of the police. They have been attempting to push media out of the city all together. Their first announcement before the latest round of tear gassing was a demand that everyone turn off their video cameras. And this is all in response to a community reaching the breaking point after the police gun down an unarmed 18 year old kid, shooting him in the back and letting him rot on the pavement for hours and then refusing to explain themselves.