Ferguson Riots

Brian

The case of the young black man being gunned down in a Walmart for having a bb gun that he picked up off the shelf was posted previously in this thread.

The grand jury just came back with no indictments.

http://gawker.com/no-indictments-against-o...hoot-1638642197

Ohio happens to be an open carry state.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
The case of the young black man being gunned down in a Walmart for having a bb gun that he picked up off the shelf was posted previously in this thread.

The grand jury just came back with no indictments.

http://gawker.com/no-indictments-against-o...hoot-1638642197

Ohio happens to be an open carry state.

While I realize that cops have a dangerous job, and they were told that there was a possible active shooter, from the video that was released, it looks like they just shot first. You see the guy's head turn and then he is down. Also, the person who called in the shooter to 911 has been accused by many of 'swatting' the guy. If I was the family of the dead guy I would be trying that avenue of relief by going after him.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
While I realize that cops have a dangerous job, and they were told that there was a possible active shooter, from the video that was released, it looks like they just shot first. You see the guy's head turn and then he is down. Also, the person who called in the shooter to 911 has been accused by many of 'swatting' the guy. If I was the family of the dead guy I would be trying that avenue of relief by going after him.

Didn't watch the video, but do you expect the police to allow him to shoot first?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)
Didn't watch the video, but do you expect the police to allow him to shoot first?

Shoot what? It was a toy gun and it wasn't even aimed. You would think an officer would have enough training to not just immediately shoot and kill someone, because some guy lied and made a 911 call. This guy has already killed someone before and is the only one in his department to do so.

Edited by Iguchicago

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)

I said they were in a tough position but I would hope that the cop would have been able to tell that it was a toy gun before blasting away. There is still much not released or known. Did the gun have the required orange tip on it? What interaction, if any, did the cop that appears in the top left have before the shooting? Are there other angles? And I would so like to hear the person who reported it under oath. I truly believe that the dead guy was swatted by the 911 caller.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
I said they were in a tough position but I would hope that the cop would have been able to tell that it was a toy gun before blasting away.

Not to mention that the guy is just casually standing in a back aisle looking at fish food. There's not a single indication that he's a threat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
And wouldn't they have noticed when they entered the store that nobody was...panicking?

Vince Pope, attorney for the officers involved in the shooting, released a statement following the decision:

"I believe the grand jury's decision, it's absolutely the right decision, that the officers acted well within their training."

It seems like there's always an excuse of "this is how they're trained to respond." Similar in the Kajieme Powell shooting, though at least he actually had a real weapon. Maybe the problem here is the way that police are trained to do their job.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
His first move was to start putting the gun on the ground.

It wasn't a reported active shooter, either. The 911 caller said he was pointing the gun around and loading it, but didn't say that he had fired any shots.

So what would have happened had somebody in the store run and tackled the guy with the toy gun who hadn't done anything with it and the guy with the gun cracked his head open on a shelf and died? I'm thinking the guy who tackled him would be in jail for a long time. The cop kills the guy with the toy gun and???? Hmmmm.

Policeman shot during burglary in Ferguson

A Ferguson, Mo., police officer was shot Saturday night, St. Louis County law enforcement officials confirmed to CBS affiliate KMOV.

Officials say the officer was shot in the arm while on routine patrol and interrupted a burglary in progress at a business. KMOV reports the officer is expected to be okay. But police say the suspect, a slender African-American man with dreadlocks, fled on foot and is still at large. Police have closed roads in the area as they search for the suspect.

The officer's condition was not released, but he was removed from the scene and taken to an area hospital.

Police set up a staging area near West Florissant and Stein, close to the area where protests took place last month after the shooting death of Mike Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old by Ferguson policeman Darren Wilson.

Some unrest had erupted Friday after Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson released a videotaped apology to Brown's parents for the shooting.

The city has been the scene of major unrest since the Aug. 9 shooting of Brown. Dozens were arrested after days of demonstrations and clashes between protesters and police.

When it's finally announce no charges will be fired against the police officer, what's going to happen in Ferguson?

Still there are disputes almost every night with the cops/protestors. I found it interesting the police chief apologized for keeping Mike Brown's body in the middle of the road for so long. It's disgusting that a few weeks after the fact they acknowledge how big and disgraceful a f***-up that was. So many cops should lose their jobs over this tragedy.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
When it's finally announce no charges will be fired against the heinous cop, what's going to happen in Ferguson?

Still there are disputes almost every night with the cops/protestors. I found it interesting the police chief apologized for keeping Mike Brown's body in the middle of the road for so long. It's disgusting that a few weeks after the fact they acknowledge how big and disgraceful a f***-up that was. So many cops should lose their jobs over this tragedy.

You're a joke, greg.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 4, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
You're a joke, greg.

I can't have an opinion that excessive force was used and that a life could and should have been spared? Take out heinous and call him "overaggressive" then. OK I fixed it and removed all adjectives.

Edited by greg775

They are protesting at Busch Stadium tonight. Some fans were yelling at the protestors. I'm all for free speech but I think they should not be protesting at a ballgame. You're just asking to piss people off.

I mean, if you have to show up, fine, but don't do a lot of chanting and marching around the stadium. Again, it's just asking for trouble IMO.

No big deal, but I think it's the wrong time for a protest. Most baseball fans have nothing to do with this and can't really do much about it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:42 AM)
They are protesting at Busch Stadium tonight. Some fans were yelling at the protestors. I'm all for free speech but I think they should not be protesting at a ballgame. You're just asking to piss people off.

I mean, if you have to show up, fine, but don't do a lot of chanting and marching around the stadium. Again, it's just asking for trouble IMO.

No big deal, but I think it's the wrong time for a protest. Most baseball fans have nothing to do with this and can't really do much about it.

Baseball fans can't vote?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)

http://deadspin.com/cardinals-fans-get-ugl...este-1643282285

Eh, considering most of those fans are coming from St. Louis county and the history of st. louis, I think that's a pretty good spot to maintain awareness. Certainly those fans gladly took the bait.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

jesus christ, post-racial america

We start off with a bang. At about the 22-second mark, an old white Cardinals fan begins telling the protesters—all of whom appear to be black—that they need to get jobs. He looks right in the camera, proudly, and says, "That's right! If they'd be working, we wouldn't have this problem!"

At 8:10 one of the Cardinals fans calls one of the protesters a "crack head" and tells him he needs to go see a dentist.

At about 10:25 a small blonde lady starts yelling at the protesters: "We're the ones who gave all y'all the freedoms that you have!"

At about 12:14 an older female Cardinals fan begins telling the man holding the camera, who claims he is a former Marine, that she doesn't believe he is a veteran. The conversation does not go well for her.

At 16:07, another Cardinals fan begins yelling at the protesters, telling them that they need to get jobs.

At 16:43, a female Cardinals fan begins chanting "Africa! Africa! Africa!" at the protesters.

At 17:10 a Cardinals fans tells the protesters that they need to remove their hats and pull up their pants.