Ferguson Riots

Brian

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fun part is that the Mayor of Hammond has been campaigning for governor for years now, and now that Bayh is not running officially, has all but thrown his hat into the ring for the office. This might well torpedo that run with a lot of people he was hoping to get to the polls in NWI.

http://www.gohammond.com/mayor-mcdermotts-...mr-jamal-jones/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)
Great. Next time I get pulled over, I am just going to ignore the police officer. They obviously can't do anything about it.

Here's more on this incident of police abuse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/#navtype=navbar

I'm fairly sure that police cannot demand identification. I'm also willing to believe that the passenger was legitimately concerned for his personal safety.

And even if their demands were legal, I'm still not sure how their actions come close to being justified.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
Here's more on this incident of police abuse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/#navtype=navbar

I'm fairly sure that police cannot demand identification. I'm also willing to believe that the passenger was legitimately concerned for his personal safety.

And even if their demands were legal, I'm still not sure how their actions come close to being justified.

It is about an officer being shot in the head, which is probably the main worry of the officer as the woman in the car is yelling at the police, and the guy in the car isn't cooperating.

The protestors spoke in New York and said, "Be prepared to die if you come join us in Ferguson." They are planning to go crazy when the cop is not charged. Total rioting.

Some pundits fear this one could spread and be a powderkeg for lots of riots all over the USA. This is one of those deals that could get a lot of innocent people killed in rioting over the USA.

The protestors spoke in New York and said, "Be prepared to die if you come join us in Ferguson." They are planning to go crazy when the cop is not charged. Total rioting.

Some pundits fear this one could spread and be a powderkeg for lots of riots all over the USA. This is one of those deals that could get a lot of innocent people killed in rioting over the USA.

If they are rioting they are not innocent.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
If they are rioting they are not innocent.

I meant innocent people like ones who might be driving their cars into a neighborhood that's rioting. People turning over the cars and killing the drivers, etc. I'm thinking there's a chance of all-out mayhem in the streets of many cities in anger after the cop is not charged. I mean, this thing could go either way. It could just be a Ferguson thing or could spur riots in big cities like St. Louis, etc.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/09/polic...ed-fire-on-him/

Ballistic evidence recovered from the scene indicates that the man fired three rounds at the officer before his weapon jammed, Dotson said, adding that the gun was also recovered.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that people claiming to be relatives of the victim identified him as 18-year-old Vonderrit Myers Jr. One woman, who claimed to be the victim's cousin, told the paper that the officer had mistaken a sandwich for a gun.

Apparently the sandwich fired three times at the officer before he returned fire.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
The kid fired three shots before being shot himself, but his family is insisting that the police mistook his sandwich for a gun, so the sandwich must have fired the shots.

This spread of misinformation is amazing and dangerous. I was watching ustream last night and it was really tense in St. Louis. At one point the protestors did stop traffic until the cops showed up. It could have gotten really bad had some of the protestors decided to smash the car windows or hurt the people in their cars, etc.

They were all talking about 16 rounds shot into the victim and how he was just holding a sandwich. Crazy times. And Twitter just has people frothing at the mouth printing misinformation like it's the facts.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/...is-fascinating/

I don't understand why this woman wasn't beaten and tased.

I don't really understand why she thinks the officers are doing something wrong. They're within the vicinity of the home where the alarm went off (a block is well within the searchable area since the burglar could have left), the dude is carrying around a large bag. I mean, if he ended up being the burglar wouldn't we all consider that a failure of the police? That the burglar literally walked right past them?

It all depends on what was said and done before the video started, but if they just stopped to ask the guy some questions I don't see an issue with it, black or not. Not to mention the cop is smiling, so it's not like she's was being a controlling b**** with her hand on her gun holster.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
that story isn't mainly about them harassing the black guy, it's about the response the woman receives.

That she receives or that she gives? I don't see anything wrong with how the cops handled her either, they told her why the stopped the guy, which again, seems reasonable.

I agree with the fact that it's nice to see someone tell the cops the law and not take their crap.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
That she receives or that she gives? I don't see anything wrong with how the cops handled her either, they told her why the stopped the guy, which again, seems reasonable.

I agree with the fact that it's nice to see someone tell the cops the law and not take their crap.

He's saying they didn't use any force against her because she was white. I think he would generally agree with the way the police handled the situation.

Edited by gatnom

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
that story isn't mainly about them harassing the black guy, it's about the response the woman receives.

Exactly, she completely disregards an order from an officer when she picks him up and takes him with. This is the exact same type of basic disobedience that is used as justification for a lot of force. See video above where man has given information, is talking normally with another officer, is refusing to go out of the car after having a gun pointed at him by the officer, the officers response is to break the window and tase him.

These are situations where nothing is explicitly wrong, but one is handled well and the other poorly. I can see the response now if this women was in a poor neighborhood and dragged down and injured

"She was motioning threateningly with her hands and started coming at the officer. The officer was scared and took down in self-defense"

And everyone would say "Why did she not stop when they said to?"

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Exactly, she completely disregards an order from an officer when she picks him up and takes him with. This is the exact same type of basic disobedience that is used as justification for a lot of force. See video above where man has given information, is talking normally with another officer, is refusing to go out of the car after having a gun pointed at him by the officer, the officers response is to break the window and tase him.

These are situations where nothing is explicitly wrong, but one is handled well and the other poorly. I can see the response now if this women was in a poor neighborhood and dragged down and injured

"She was motioning threateningly with her hands and started coming at the officer. The officer was scared and took down in self-defense"

And everyone would say "Why did she not stop when they said to?"

Would she have stopped if they told her to? Not justifying the obvious poor actions of other police officers, but the situations are kind of apples and oranges.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
Would she have stopped if they told her to? Not justifying the obvious poor actions of other police officers, but the situations are kind of apples and oranges.

They did tell her to stop.