Sox @ Gigantes pt. deux

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Why don't they just do like high schools which have the policy that you must slide into home plate and not try to take out the catcher or jar the ball loose unless you can clearly score standing up without a play?

That's actually much easier lol and extremely sad that the MLB can't figure it out.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
When was the last time a broadcaster angrily and sarcastically referred to players wearing skirts? I'm going to guess 1955.

In this case it's somewhat appropriate. This implies playing sports like females. In collision sports such as hockey or lacrosse there is far less hitting because the rules dictate that hitting is less tolerated. So if the new rules dictate less hitting. It is more like the female version of these sports.

Sorry for the sarcastic humor. This game really makes me angry at the game of baseball, which I truly love to watch.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
Umpires don't write the rule book.

The problem is that there are going to be 30-50 different interpretations of the same rule...it's way way too subjective, as the Posey play illustrates.

What will they do next? Make a circle around the plate area and force the catcher to wait outside of it for a throw to be delivered to home from the outfield or infield?

Or just make EVERY play at home a force out/tap the plate play where there is never going to be any tag or contact at all?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
In this case it's somewhat appropriate. This implies playing sports like females. In collision sports such as hockey or lacrosse there is far less hitting because the rules dictate that hitting is less tolerated. So if the new rules dictate less hitting. It is more like the female version of these sports.

Sorry for the sarcastic humor. This game really makes me angry at the game of baseball, which I truly love to watch.

Ah, like how they wear skirts in softball

Screwed by the umpires. What happened to common sense? One simple question should be asked. Would he still be out if the catcher had provided a "proper running lane"? The answer was clearly yes.

This coupled with the time it took to make the crap call. 4 mins 55 secs plus the Ventura Tantrum time, then 1 minute to correct the error on putting the runner on third base.

This rule needs sorted. I'm all for catcher's safety but this is ridiculous.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
I'm tired of Hawk embarrassing the Sox it's time to move on. Stone is excellent and Hawk drags him down. I've defended hawk for years, that time is over.

I wonder if they might consider making Wimpy a more regular part of a rotation. That would be the best.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
I'm tired of Hawk embarrassing the Sox it's time to move on. Stone is excellent and Hawk drags him down. I've defended hawk for years, that time is over.

The sad thing is that his comments might become more of a focal point in the media instead of the actual stupid rule he was upset about.

Catchers automatically block the plate with a runner on 3rd. That has been put in their heads from day 1. One thing they could do is extend the area you can hit the plate with sort of like they do in softball.

They will change the rule. Maybe even this play inspires the change. It looked to me like the umpire was embarrassed calling him safe and not because of a call reversal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
He was referring to collisions. No one has a sense of humor anymore.

My man, nobody has a better sense of humor than me.

When a character on Mad Men says something akin to that, it's funny because the writer has constructed it such that the target of the humor is the misogynist male character making the point.

If you're younger than 70, it's really weird to hear a guy on tv angrily saying something, the upshot of which is "women are f***ing p*****s."

If Hawk had a chance to think, he wouldn't have said what he did, but when he gets all angry he has little control of what's coming out of his mouth. It's like there's a catcher in a skirt blocking his ability to see that this might not be the best thing to say right now.

Edited by Vance Law

Belisario should be cut. We have some others in relief roles that shouldn't be up with the big club, but it's too late now and we are stuck with what we got for the rest of the year. Just going to have to accept it for what t is in 2014 and hope next year is better

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 12:26 AM)
Belisario should be cut. We have some others in relief roles that shouldn't be up with the big club, but it's too late now and we are stuck with what we got for the rest of the year. Just going to have to accept it for what t is in 2014 and hope next year is better

Yes, he's the latest who needs to be shown the proverbial door.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
Absolutely, I have no idea why he keeps pitching in the spots he does. Webb has been much better this year, at least give him some high leverage spots.

Ugh. Webb is as bad as the rest of them. I kind of know what you are saying since Bella is the flavor is so bad he makes you want to pick up a bat, but re-think your position please. Webb is horrific as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:30 PM)
13 runs in last 8 games for the Sox. The play at home will overshadow the fact the offense has gone ice cold. I posted this in the Abreu thread, but it will be interesting to see if he even hits 40 homers now.

You've said it before. You've pointed out that Sox really don't have many elite hitters at all. Less than a handful of good hitters and the rest mediocre to poor. So we shouldn't be surprised. Get to work with a better master plan, Mr. Hahn. Avi Garcia come on down!!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Why don't they just do like high schools which have the policy that you must slide into home plate and not try to take out the catcher or jar the ball loose unless you can clearly score standing up without a play?

It's not a HS rule that you must slide into any base, including the plate, ever. If you do slide, it must be a legal slide. And no malicious contact with the catcher.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
I think the ruling last night was more wrong than the ruling today. That said, the rule needs to change. Just my opinion, but the only thing they should outlaw is a runner "blowing up" a catcher. Get there in time or be out.

No, both warranted safe calls. Zero way last night's call should have been an out.

"Get there in time or be out" doesn't make sense. You can't have a catcher blocking the plate without the ball if the runner has arrived, you need to call obstruction at some point. Is that "in time?"

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
It's not a HS rule that you must slide into any base, including the plate, ever. If you do slide, it must be a legal slide. And no malicious contact with the catcher.

No, both warranted safe calls. Zero way last night's call should have been an out.

"Get there in time or be out" doesn't make sense. You can't have a catcher blocking the plate without the ball if the runner has arrived, you need to call obstruction at some point. Is that "in time?"

I am confused, earlier you said the call was brutal, now he was safe?