Sox @ Gigantes pt. deux

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
I think Hawk is embarrassing himself. I'm not referring to this particular tag play

The difference between "the good old days" and today is that medical science knows a lot more about the longterm effects of concussions on the brain. There's, you know, a lot of guys committing suicide because of it.

He said (paraphrasing) "what, are they gonna turn football into a girls' game?" He said that out loud and it was broadcast on TV.

This has nothing to do with it. The rule was put in because Posey fractured his ankle on a collision. Concussion had nothing to do with it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
They need to re-write the rule right away. I don't think it's actually prevented any collisions. Instead, it's just given teams runs when they shouldn't have gotten them.

Ironic thing is there would have been a national outcry last night if Posey was ruled as blocking the plate. Aspects of instant replay have really hurt the game watching experience this year.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Hawk said he wishes he could cuss and the rule is ridiculous. Also need 4 impartial people in NY and not umpires

OK well that's where he's wrong and really stupid. First of all, umpires are impartial. He's implying that they are favoring the Giants there.

Second, you're not pulling people off the street to make these calls. You actually need former umpires there for rule interpretations - which that book is bigger than the actual rule book itself.

It's whoever the hell came up with the rule and rule interpretation that is at fault. That's in the MLB offices somewhere.

It hasn't quite reached this level, but this is reaching "toe in the crease no goal" absurdity from years ago in the NHL. It will absolutely be addressed in the offseason.

The rule itself has to be there for obstruction, but it should be a lot easier to call than this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Ironic thing is there would have been a national outcry last night if Posey was ruled as blocking the plate. Aspects of instant replay have really hurt the game watching experience this year.

For real. Early in the year, it was that stupid rule where you couldn't drop the ball on a transfer on a force out. Now this stupid rule at the plate. Whoever came up with these rules clearly didn't think them through enough.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
This has nothing to do with it. The rule was put in because Posey fractured his ankle on a collision. Concussion had nothing to do with it.

I think they used Matheny as another example of way the rule needed to be changed

Belisario is just brutal

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Replays and this blocking the plate rule are ruining the game I grew up with.

QUOTE (jdupps @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Replays and this blocking the plate rule are ruining the game I grew up with.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get the call right. Instant replay, if done right, is great for the game.

Unfortunately, the way some of these new rules are written have completely screwed it up.