Buehrle apologizes for tipping cap

southsider2k5

I love Mark. Such a class act.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0817-story.html

IN a perfect world, Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski all would have gone out in White Sox uniforms.

But perfect endings are rare in baseball, so Buehrle had to settle for a couple of standing ovations Saturday night in his return to U.S. Cellular Field.

Buerhle took a shutout into the sixth inning and left with two on and one out with a 3-1 lead, waving and tipping his cap to the crowd after another big ovation.

The Sox tied it 3-3 but the Blue Jays came back to win 6-3, and Buehrle said the warmth of the reception surprised him.

"I was kind of thinking it would be good, but what they did, coming off the field every time I ran out and hearing people cheering," he said.

"Walking out of the dugout, it was exceptional. I actually texted Konerko and apologized, hoping no one was (ticked) on the team that I tipped my hat walking off the field. I don't know what the rule is as far as being a visitor and tipping your hat."

Buehrle was charged with three runs over his 5 1/3 innings and Matt Lindstrom got the loss in relief of John Danks.

"I feel a little guilty," said Konerko, who will retire as a White Sox on Sept. 28. "He deserved the same thing, and I think he wanted that, too.

"It's not like it was his doing to explore other teams and sign with the Marlins. Knowing him, that's a situation where the business of the game makes a player go somewhere else."

The crowd clearly was excited to go down memory lane with Buehrle, the former Sox starter allowed to leave as a free agent after 2011.

Konerko said hitting against Buehrle wasn't something he looked forward to.

"I'll do it, but I don't like it," he said. "Just seeing him in a different uniform, it never made sense to me. It's doesn't look right. It'll never look right if he's not in a White Sox uniform. That's just the way it is."

Buehrle said pitching to Konerko and his old friends "felt a lot crazier being (at the Cell)" than in Toronto.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to it," he said, adding Danks would buy the drinks afterward.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
He'll go down as one of my favorite Sox players of all-time. Always an awesome guy on/off the field.

that was class by Mark, I am glad his teammates had class as well for this act.

good job by the fans

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
He'll go down as one of my favorite Sox players of all-time. Always an awesome guy on/off the field.

Definitely one of my favorites of all time and obviously one of my favorites of the century, put him up there with Frank, Jenks, AJ, PK, wonder how much publicity Mark would have gotten if he wasn't on the Second Team in the Second City, in my opinion, one of the best starters of the 00's along with CC, Oswalt, Halladay, Johan, that cowd of aces (off topic but baseball was more enjoyable in that 00's era that now in my opinion, just so much talent, and I'm not talking about roids guys either, just more exciting times, maybe because the White Sox are rebuilding now but I don't know, those Boston teams were some of the best teams in any sport of all time, really hope this game doesn't slowly die, need some more Manny's and Ichiro's and PK's and Buerhle's instead of these ignorant hustle shows like Puig and even Harper)

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
Definitely one of my favorites of all time and obviously one of my favorites of the century, put him up there with Frank, Jenks, AJ, PK, wonder how much publicity Mark would have gotten if he wasn't on the Second Team in the Second City, in my opinion, one of the best starters of the 00's along with CC, Oswalt, Halladay, Johan, that cowd of aces (off topic but baseball was more enjoyable in that 00's era that now in my opinion, just so much talent, and I'm not talking about roids guys either, just more exciting times, maybe because the White Sox are rebuilding now but I don't know, those Boston teams were some of the best teams in any sport of all time, really hope this game doesn't slowly die, need some more Manny's and Ichiro's and PK's and Buerhle's instead of these ignorant hustle shows like Puig and even Harper)

At least 50-75% or more of the players today aren't using steroids.

From that era, the only hitters who are going to make the Hall of Fame are Thomas, Griffey, Jr., Jeter and Omar Vizquel.

Ichiro and David Ortiz are going to be questionable for different reasons, although Ichiro definitely deserves it if you consider his entire body of work career-wise. Then Pujols, who has a ton of questions surrounding him as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)

From that era, the only hitters who are going to make the Hall of Fame are Thomas, Griffey, Jr., Jeter and Omar Vizquel.

Ichiro and David Ortiz are going to be questionable for different reasons, although Ichiro definitely deserves it if you consider his entire body of work career-wise. Then Pujols, who has a ton of questions surrounding him as well.

There's a lot more than that that will get in. Chipper Jones, Biggio and Thome are locks. Bagwell, Piazza, Edgar Martinez and Vlad Guerrero should all get in as well at some point.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
There's a lot more than that that will get in. Chipper Jones, Biggio and Thome are locks. Bagwell, Piazza, Edgar Martinez and Vlad Guerrero should all get in as well at some point.

Bagwell and Piazza may have difficulty due to the PED rumors.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)

Believe me I'm majorly against PEDs, killed the sport, but the early 00's up until about 10-12 were some great times for baseball, BOS-NYY games were nationally must watches, something that ESPN must learn doesn't interest us anymore, I also think Manny will be HOF no doubt and Ortiz and definitely Pujols, Jeter, and Griffey, I think the likes of Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa, Sheffield, etc will never see the HOF however, which I agree with

The days of talented all time great hitters like Manny, Griffey, Ortiz, Thome, Jeter, are better than Trout, Puig, and Harper, (Yes I know Manny was suspended, and Ortiz cheated but not as severe as Bonds and Clemens) anyone agree with me?

Anyone notice how young the MLB got too over the last 2 years, all the All-Stars are in there early to mid 20's

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
So they didn't sing "Na Na Na"?

Nope, the stadium speakers didn't play it and it would have been drowned out by the cheers anyway. It was a really cool moment.

I was part of the large group that gathered around the visiting bullpen to watch him warm up pregame, but my wife and I staked it out early and got the best spot.

When he jogged to the outfield and everyone was standing and clapping, Navarro (his catcher) also gave him a round of applause; that was amusing. And Mark acknowledged the crowd when he entered the bullpen, but he didn't look up even a little the rest of the warmup or even hint that he was gonna sign the myriad of things people wanted signed. It was minutes before a start, after all.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Bagwell and Piazza may have difficulty due to the PED rumors.

I think they're both close enough that they will eventually get there. The PED rumors aren't affecting them nearly as much as Clemons and Bonds as both were well ahead of them on this year's ballot. Piazza went from 57.8% to 62.2% this year even with the loaded class so I think he is well on his way. Bagwell has gone from 41.7% to as high as 59.6% in his 4 years. This year he dropped slightly but it was clearly due to the loaded ballot. Piazza is pretty much a lock and the only thing that will hurt Bagwell at this point is the new 10 year rule.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
Believe me I'm majorly against PEDs, killed the sport, but the early 00's up until about 10-12 were some great times for baseball, BOS-NYY games were nationally must watches, something that ESPN must learn doesn't interest us anymore, I also think Manny will be HOF no doubt and Ortiz and definitely Pujols, Jeter, and Griffey, I think the likes of Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa, Sheffield, etc will never see the HOF however, which I agree with

The days of talented all time great hitters like Manny, Griffey, Ortiz, Thome, Jeter, are better than Trout, Puig, and Harper, (Yes I know Manny was suspended, and Ortiz cheated but not as severe as Bonds and Clemens) anyone agree with me?

Anyone notice how young the MLB got too over the last 2 years, all the All-Stars are in there early to mid 20's

Zero chance Manny gets in. He was busted twice and is one positive test away from a permanent ban. Ortiz has a shot because everybody just likes to forget about his failed test it seems.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Zero chance Manny gets in. He was busted twice and is one positive test away from a permanent ban. Ortiz has a shot because everybody just likes to forget about his failed test it seems.

If you're right that's a shame, obviously his own fault, but definitely one of the scariest hitters ever, Sheffield is in that same boat

it was a fantastic atmosphere there on Saturday. There's no need for him to apologize. He's one the best pitchers/players in Sox history, why would any player get upset about that? All of the standing ovations were awesome. I did notice there was no "Na na na" when he was taken out. Classy night all around.

Buehrle had an opportunity that offseason to go to the Nationals with a no trade clause, but was apparently swayed by Loria's supposed commitment to Miami.

In an interview with Levine/Rozner on Hit & Run on Sunday morning, he seems to still be carrying a lot of bitterness towards Loria. He bought a house there in Miami, only to end up across the border in Canada without his family or beloved dogs.

If he doesn't get back to the World Series, I'm sure that will sting quite a bit, knowing he could have been with a potential powerhouse team with a great bullpen at the end of his career.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
No they didn't. Sox fans are a class act just like Buerhle and Konerko

That's what I was thinking, how classy the people are who go to games.

I wish Mark would come back. He still has several good years left with his rubber arm and style. How many years left on his current contract? Please come back! Like Paulie said he should be finishing his career on the South Side.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
That's what I was thinking, how classy the people are who go to games.

I wish Mark would come back. He still has several good years left with his rubber arm and style. How many years left on his current contract? Please come back! Like Paulie said he should be finishing his career on the South Side.

Only $19 million next year.

He's already admitted to hitting a wall and seems to be experiencing some physical/wear & tear issues for the first time in his career.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
Only $19 million next year.

He's already admitted to hitting a wall and seems to be experiencing some physical/wear & tear issues for the first time in his career.

So after next season, Sox could get him for 4-5 million a year for 2 years?