Alejandro De Aza

Feeky Magee

What to do in the offseason with De Aza  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you

• Go to arb/tender a contract
    • DFA/trade for peanuts

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
If you are talking DH next year and it's between a $5 MM deal with de Aza or $500k with Wilkins, I vote for Wilkins; plus, he can spell Abreu when necessary. Outfielders will be available.

Neither De Aza or Wilkins will be DH'ing next year. That one I would bet on.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
I feel the people who are really in support of De Aza being back are the people who really put a ton of stock in stats. On paper sure he isn't bad. But when you actually watch him play and all the little things he does wrong, he doesn't really fit into what I assume Hahn and the rest of the FO are trying to build here. I think they are gonna be looking for fundamental players who can be counted on to actually catch most routine balls in LF and not get picked off at 1b when down by a couple runs in the late innings. De Aza has tools, but he isn't developing anymore and has been one of the main reasons why it looks like a circuit act on the field occassionally over the past 2 years.

A lot of these reasons are why I also feel Viciedo will be gone.

I'd rather they send him packing. Stats don't lie, however, and he's been good since June. Like Wiz said he's not "developing anymore.' So bye bye.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
Neither De Aza or Wilkins will be DH'ing next year. That one I would bet on.

It's kind of tough to predict who will be DHing next year, when we don't know the make up of the 2015 roster. Actually, I was responding to an earlier post by Chitown.

Hopefully, Wilkins will be on the roster in two weeks, and we can evaluate him at end of September. Still, at this time, I would pick Wilkins over de Aza as a DH in 2015, if that is the frame of reference outlined by Chitown.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
A great contribution here. I've never noticed that you hate De Aza...

What's your problem? It wasn't good enough for you cause I didn't get into B.S stats? I stated an opinion. Scroll bar is always an option.. ;)

Ewww and hate is such a strong word.. which I don't appreciate being put in my mouth. I do dislike him as player and that's IMHO.

Good enough now? Thanks

Edited by JoshPR

I like what I've seen from Danks since he's been up. He beat the shift twice with simple ground balls to the left side. That's pretty heady. Then there was the oppo HR to LCF . He'll be way cheaper than De Aza and his bat may be ready to play. Add in more versatile OF , probably a better runner and it's no contest, Danks come out on top.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
I like what I've seen from Danks since he's been up. He beat the shift twice with simple ground balls to the left side. That's pretty heady. Then there was the oppo HR to LCF . He'll be way cheaper than De Aza and his bat may be ready to play. Add in more versatile OF , probably a better runner and it's no contest, Danks come out on top.

Over a full season I really doubt his bat will appear "ready to play". He hit quite well in short stint in 2013 and then started off 2014 terribly.

I think he's probably an adequate backup defensive OF. He's not a platoon player, but he would work well on a roster where the manager never uses his bench, at least while he's cheap. He'll have some hot streaks but doesn't have the power to put up the strikeout numbers he puts up.

i still have a hard time figuring him out. His overall numbers the last four years have declined perhaps because we played him to much. His splits against left handers get worse and worse while he has a career OPS of .748 vz right-handers and this year is actually .772. Acceptable on the right team but I don't know if that is us. As a part time or platoon player yes but maybe not what we would have to pay at arbitration.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
His splits against left handers get worse and worse while he has a career OPS of .748 vz right-handers and this year is actually .772. Acceptable on the right team but I don't know if that is us. As a part time or platoon player yes but maybe not what we would have to pay at arbitration.

His .772 against righties is good for 13th best LF against righties this year. Better than players like Josh Hamilton, Matt Holliday, Shin Soo Choo, Yeonis Cespedes, The .353 OBP is good for 9th best.

If Viciedo was hitting lefties like he has in previous seasons, that would be a high-quality offensive platoon.

While we'd all prefer some future-star left-handed power bat out there next year, does anyone have a good suggestion of who that is? And what does it cost to get them?

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
His .772 against righties is good for 13th best LF against righties this year. Better than players like Josh Hamilton, Matt Holliday, Shin Soo Choo, Yeonis Cespedes, The .353 OBP is good for 9th best.

If Viciedo was hitting lefties like he has in previous seasons, that would be a high-quality offensive platoon.

While we'd all prefer some future-star left-handed power bat out there next year, does anyone have a good suggestion of who that is? And what does it cost to get them?

I am a fan of making a run at Melky Cabrera. I am even guessing that 4/60 to 5/75 is the type of deal we'd be talking about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:13 AM)
I am a fan of making a run at Melky Cabrera. I am even guessing that 4/60 to 5/75 is the type of deal we'd be talking about.

I'd rather wait for somebody in our system than trying to get Melky.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)

I would definitely be cool with a 4/$60M deal for Melky. At his current production it's a steal, and even with some regression it wouldn't be a bad deal.

The only issue is that he's going to cost a draft pick, but so will most quality free agents.

For five of Cabrera's eight big league seasons, he's been a 1.2 or lower WAR player.

He's even put up 2 or 3 NEGATIVE seasons, as recently as LAST YEAR.

It can't be a coincidence that all of a sudden he's playing this well right around the time when the PEDS allegations hit? He's pretty much a completely different player.

Can you say contract drive? That's almost never good news for the poor sucker team that comes in and signs a guy to a long-term deal and then gets stuck with his deal and an often diminished level of production.

Finally, I don't see JR or Hahn taking the risk of bringing in someone with his history. Tyler Flowers was one thing, this is quite another.

I would say that we would be better off hiring Toronto's hitting instructor to work with Steverson to revamp our entire minor league approach to hitting. You can't argue with the results that guys like Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Cabrera have put up in a Blue Jays uniform...even Rasmus last season.

PASS.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 06:54 AM)
For five of Cabrera's eight big league seasons, he's been a 1.2 or lower WAR player.

He's even put up 2 or 3 NEGATIVE seasons, as recently as LAST YEAR.

It can't be a coincidence that all of a sudden he's playing this well right around the time when the PEDS allegations hit? He's pretty much a completely different player.

Can you say contract drive? That's almost never good news for the poor sucker team that comes in and signs a guy to a long-term deal and then gets stuck with his deal and an often diminished level of production.

Finally, I don't see JR or Hahn taking the risk of bringing in someone with his history. Tyler Flowers was one thing, this is quite another.

I would say that we would be better off hiring Toronto's hitting instructor to work with Steverson to revamp our entire minor league approach to hitting. You can't argue with the results that guys like Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Cabrera have put up in a Blue Jays uniform...even Rasmus last season.

PASS.

And four of those seasons were his first four, all of which were with New York. Since then he's been productive in KC, San Fran, & Toronto. Don't get me wrong, the steroid issue is a concern, but most free agents today are going to be flawed to some extent or else they'll cost an insane amount of money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
The big difference is that Danks will make all of the plays that you ask him to make, and he isn't going to blow the routine plays. Spectacular? No. I'd say slightly above average.

I agree slightly above average defense, terrible offense, which makes him below average.

I just can't understand why such a limited upside player is getting playing time, when this org should be working on the future. It's like the Sox want another Dewayne Wise on this team. I hope the clowning stops soon.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
I agree slightly above average defense, terrible offense, which makes him below average.

I just can't understand why such a limited upside player is getting playing time, when this org should be working on the future. It's like the Sox want another Dewayne Wise on this team. I hope the clowning stops soon.

Who else should they be starting in CF?

The guy who said he can't play CF, or the guy hitting .160?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 03:06 AM)

in yesterday game with Balt, yeah we lost but how many of the sox players went hitless.

the sox is needing to generate offense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)

No thanks. Melky performs in contract years and that about it. That is awfully suspicious for a verified PED user.