8/19 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
He'll strike out the first nine, then they all just give up.

I saw Mark Prior do this in a spring game against the white sox. He struck out the first nine guys in a lineup including Durham, Thomas and Ventura. It was the single best pitching performance I have ever seen live.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
I saw Mark Prior do this in a spring game against the white sox. He struck out the first nine guys in a lineup including Durham, Thomas and Ventura. It was the single best pitching performance I have ever seen live.

As a fan of pitching, it really is sad what happened to Prior. He was so fun to watch. Of all the pitchers I've seen, Prior in his prime, was one of the best. Nobody tops Pedro for me though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Forget him as a prospect, that K-rate will not work at the MLB level.

Good point.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
As a fan of pitching, it really is sad what happened to Prior. He was so fun to watch. Of all the pitchers I've seen, Prior in his prime, was one of the best. Nobody tops Pedro for me though.

At a time when I absolutely despised the Cubs I was still a fan of Prior's.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Good point.

At a time when I absolutely despised the Cubs I was still a fan of Prior's.

Man, that Big 3 they had in 2003 of Big Z, Prior and Wood was something. Loved Zambrano the most. As much as a headcase as he was, I loved his energy, watching him bat and go absolutely nuts running the bases with no regard for his body.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)
9 strikes, 14 pitches. Ground out and two swinging strikeouts.

wow. He's electric. If you watch the game against Cuba he was MLB ready in that game and that was a year ago. Looks like his stuff is back. Time now to build endurance he could have quite the role as long man in the Sox pen in Sept, sorta the old traditional fire man role.

Just to curb things a bit. There is a difference between 3 inning games / outings and a typical start. Guys seeing your more times, etc. You can excel out of the pen quicker and easier then you can out of the rotation. Even if he is lights out in the pen in September, there could be many reasons to have him start next year in the minors to continue to actually work on secondary pitches, etc, so that he's capable of excelling deep into games, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
Just to curb things a bit. There is a difference between 3 inning games / outings and a typical start. Guys seeing your more times, etc. You can excel out of the pen quicker and easier then you can out of the rotation. Even if he is lights out in the pen in September, there could be many reasons to have him start next year in the minors to continue to actually work on secondary pitches, etc, so that he's capable of excelling deep into games, etc.

If the plan is to start him in the minors next year the Sox shouldn't be calling him up in September this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
If the plan is to start him in the minors next year the Sox shouldn't be calling him up in September this year.

I would agree with that and to that matter, I don't really like the idea of bringing him up to the majors this year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
I would agree with that and to that matter, I don't really like the idea of bringing him up to the majors this year.

Nor do I. I'm wondering if it was a handshake agreement during negotiations. If so, I sure hope they delay his call-up next season to account for this year. I'm not prepared to lose an extra year of team control for a possible TOR pitcher who has Boras as an agent. I'd like to assume Hahn is more shrewd than that.