Why the A's should trade for Adam Dunn

southsider2k5

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oakland Athletics trade for Chicago White Sox DH Adam Dunn

The Athletics’ offense has sputtered since they dealt cleanup hitter Yoenis Cespedes to the Boston Red Sox in exchange for lefty ace Jon Lester and outfielder Jonny Gomes. The A’s were hoping that Gomes in a platoon would pick up some of the lost offense, but it just hasn’t been the case. The A’s are in desperate need of an occasional three-run homer to take advantage of their exceptional pitching and defense.

Dunn can provide that. He is a free agent at season’s end, and he continues to be productive, as shown by his .350 on-base percentage and 19 home runs. The A’s would prefer a right-handed hitter, but after Josh Willingham was dealt to the Royals, the market really dried up. Perhaps the A’s could expand the deal to include Dayan Viciedo in the same transaction and platoon Dunn with Viciedo at DH.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Thanks for breaking down the paywall.

As far as I can tell, the A's already have Jaso as the lefty half of a DH platoon. I don't see it but I could be overlooking something.

He's put up a .589 OPS as a DH and an .850 OPS while catching. 140+ PA's in both, so it's becoming a real trend.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
Thanks for breaking down the paywall.

As far as I can tell, the A's already have Jaso as the lefty half of a DH platoon. I don't see it but I could be overlooking something.

They mix and match so much, it's hard to completely break it down.

Normally against RHP, they might have Crisp/Moss/Reddick in the outfield with Vogt at 1B and Jaso as C. That would leave the DH spot open, but some days Norris catches (he's a righty though) and Fuld plays center while Crisp DHs.

Having Norris/Jaso/Vogt in the lineup all at the same time may not be ideal, while Dunn can suitably replace one of them well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
That's neat somebody is suggesting the A's acquire Dunn. Although I'm sure Billy Beane has assessed the situation over and over. It would be nice to know Beane's true thoughts on Dunn.

"He is a good power hitter from the left side, he hits righties well, he hits a lot of home runs, he strikes out a lot, he walks a lot, he doesn't hit lefties very well, and he doesn't play very good defense."

I just got off the phone with Billy Beane and he said that word for word.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
"He is a good power hitter from the left side, he hits righties well, he hits a lot of home runs, he strikes out a lot, he walks a lot, he doesn't hit lefties very well, and he doesn't play very good defense."

we pay 18 mil for a guy per year who is not worth anything to another team/ even for one months salary, sad.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
we pay 18 mil for a guy per year who is not worth anything to another team/ even for one months salary, sad.

Pray tell, whom dost thou speaketh? Thy closest examplar is thee Sir Jacob Peavy of Yorkshire in year Two Thousand and Twelve.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
sorry we are only paying a pawltry 15 million for his stellar play in 2014

He's been the 3rd best full time offensive player on the White Sox, so I have no problem with what he's done for the Sox this year given the expectations put upon him. Frankly, he's performed better than most players do in the final year of their contracts.

But I suppose you'd rather the Sox spent $25 mill AAV while backloading the hell out of a contract for a guy like Josh Hamilton and had to pay him $30 million per year over the final 3 years of his career contract while he walks less often, strikes out more often, and isn't good defensively.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)

This made my evening.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Oh yes we do. Everyone knew what he meant by $18M. He meant a whole bunch of money and his point stands- it's sad.

It's funny how everyone is so angry at Dunn's $15m, but perfectly okay with Danks and his $14m as a back-end rotation option going into next year.

They're both overpaid role players, except Dunn has actually been somewhat effective at his.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 05:22 AM)
It's funny how everyone is so angry at Dunn's $15m, but perfectly okay with Danks and his $14m as a back-end rotation option going into next year.

They're both overpaid role players, except Dunn has actually been somewhat effective at his.

What do u mean? People on this board despise Danks (as a pitcher, not a human being), at least the majority do.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 01:56 AM)
What do u mean? People on this board despise Danks (as a pitcher, not a human being), at least the majority do.

There is definitely a solid number of people that want to keep Danks. Personally, I prefer Noesi over Danks at this point as a back end of the rotation guy when you factor in cost.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:56 AM)

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 01:32 AM)
There is definitely a solid number of people that want to keep Danks. Personally, I prefer Noesi over Danks at this point as a back end of the rotation guy when you factor in cost.

Not only are there many who advocate holding him as chisoxfan310 notes (I actually am one, kind of, not because I think he's good but because I don't think we can move him even for free and think he might as well be in the mix to eat innings if we have to pay him anyway), but even those who want to dump him are trying their hardest to convince themselves he may be worth something to a contender. With Dunn it's just pure vitriol -- most hate him and want him gone at all costs even though he's been a productive player for us three of the four years of his contract. Overpaid, certainly, but useful, and not even the most overpaid on the team.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 02:32 AM)

I would prefer Noesi regardless of costs.

I see Danks as #6 or 7 or bullpen if this team is a contender.