Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham

chetkincaid

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Considering it's a PTBNL or cash, I'm thinking it's a low level prospect that they'll decide on later, or they just take the money...which I can't even think of what the amount would be.

We got enough of those. Take the cash.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
Held on too long and ended up giving him away.

Would have liked to seen a trade for someone else's failed top prospect.

The utter, and inexplicable, lack of a sense of urgency to deal in July under the vain notion that this team was still in it, will retard this rebuild.

You have to assume some other team wanted him. They have enough failed prospects. The fact the Angels got him via wavers says a lot. We even over value our crappy players.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 04:29 AM)
I wonder if a -31.3 wRC (weighted runs created) value against Major League fastballs over his 6 seasons with the #WhiteSox had anything to do with Beckham being traded. They sent a great message today, you can't hit or progress, you can't stay here.

*If you can't hit after 5 seasons of opportunity

Love to see Sanchez getting a chance. I may be a bit biased as he's probably the best hitter for average out of the three and he's nearly two years younger but I've liked him since I saw him turn a 100 mph fastball for a double in the futures game. Just a pure hitter.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 04:40 AM)
Love to see Sanchez getting a chance. I may be a bit biased as he's probably the best hitter for average out of the three and he's nearly two years younger but I've liked him since I saw him turn a 100 mph fastball for a double in the futures game. Just a pure hitter.

Pure hitter? Sanchez? Hmm...

Remember, this is the White Sox we're talking about. With all the struggles Alcantara and Baez are having (and those were Top 10 and Top 85-100 guys in all of the minors), with what happened to Semien, with Leury Garcia performing exactly as expected offensively, most of us are going to be Doubting Thomases with our hitting prospects (and I don't want to hear about Alexei and Abreu, because they didn't spend time in our system) until ONE at least shows he perform at average major league level.

For those down on Micah Johnson, he's not ready yet. That said, he also wasn't 100% healthy for most of this season, and I'm surely he will be sitting out the AFL as well in an effort to get him back to full health before ST next year.

If everything plays out like expected (from the White Sox standpoint), he'll be the starter at 2B at some point next year.

That leaves Semien and Sanchez to fight it out for SS, with the loser of that battle taking on Leury Garcia and eventually Saladino for the utility spot.

Or there's that option of platooning Semien/Gillaspie at 3B, using Marcus as a PR and replacement all around the infield and in outfield as well.

It was time to move on, and they probably messed up by not moving him earlier in the season when he got off to a hot start, now essentially trading him for nothing.

I still hope he can have a good finish with the Angels, and get his career on track as he did seem like a good guy (who knows), but, as a White Sox, he was a bust and there are decent prospects right behind them.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
It was time to move on, and they probably messed up by not moving him earlier in the season when he got off to a hot start, now essentially trading him for nothing.

I still hope he can have a good finish with the Angels, and get his career on track as he did seem like a good guy (who knows), but, as a White Sox, he was a bust and there are decent prospects right behind them.

Even at that point, he wasn't going to get anything like a team's Top 10 prospect, but it could have been a decent Type B prospect or another bullpen arm.

Hahn should have known better than to think he was ever going to turn it around with the Sox when we all knew better.

Of course, an opposing GM would have had that same thought....we've seen this same story play itself out over and over again at the end of 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
I think Dunn only goes if the Sox get something intriguing back. After hearing Abreu talk about the influence Dunn has had on him he sounds like a guy who would be helpful to have around the young guys coming up.

I am probably Dunn's biggest supporter on this site, but what is the point of keeping Dunn in September? The team is out of it, there are a lot of intriguing players at AAA who need a chance to show what they have at the MLB level, they absolutely are not going to offer him a qualifying offer, and you want to try and get a guy who has the reputation of an all around good guy a chance at winning a World Series ring.

I'm not as sure as I was about Rodon signing, but I'm quite confident Dunn will be moved.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)
I am probably Dunn's biggest supporter on this site, but what is the point of keeping Dunn in September? The team is out of it, there are a lot of intriguing players at AAA who need a chance to show what they have at the MLB level, they absolutely are not going to offer him a qualifying offer, and you want to try and get a guy who has the reputation of an all around good guy a chance at winning a World Series ring.

I'm not as sure as I was about Rodon signing, but I'm quite confident Dunn will be moved.

98.333333333%?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)

Eh, I'm merely just hoping they get something intriguing for him because I too am a Dunn supporter.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Eh, I'm merely just hoping they get something intriguing for him because I too am a Dunn supporter.

We'll get a months worth of at bats for Wilkins. I've been a Dunn supporter as well but at this point you might as well just dump him of you can.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
anybody catch the Hahn interview on the score earlier? anything interesting said?

Not really.

Usual close to the vest type stuff.

He actually said people had already paid for their September tickets, like there was an expectation of seeing Adam Dunn, lol. Of course, it was measured by the usual, we have a responsibility to field a competitive team...games affecting the playoff race/s mumbo jumbo along with opening up at-bats for younger players yadda yadda.

Wouldn't commit to Rodon coming up in September.

Said it would get at least 3 starts in Charlotte. Said he was more refined/advanced than even they projected when the pick was made, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Not really.

Usual close to the vest type stuff.

He actually said people had already paid for their September tickets, like there was an expectation of seeing Adam Dunn, lol. Of course, it was measured by the usual, we have a responsibility to field a competitive team...games affecting the playoff race/s mumbo jumbo along with opening up at-bats for younger players yadda yadda.

Wouldn't commit to Rodon coming up in September.

Said it would get at least 3 starts in Charlotte. Said he was more refined/advanced than even they projected when the pick was made, etc.

Pretty conservative stuff, ok.

Thanks!