Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham

chetkincaid

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
Albert Belle was pretty disappointing.

Viciedo was only disappointing if you didn't look at his minor league stats. He's never shown himself to be an impact player, at any level.

How was Albert Belle disappointing?

His average stat line in his 6 full seasons with Cleveland: .300/.377/.594, 39HRs, 36 2B, 118 RBI

His average stat line in his 2 full seasons with White Sox: .301/.368/.571, 40 HRs, 46 2B, 134 RBI

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
How was Albert Belle disappointing?

His average stat line in his 6 full seasons with Cleveland: .300/.377/.594, 39HRs, 36 2B, 118 RBI

His average stat line in his 2 full seasons with White Sox: .301/.368/.571, 40 HRs, 46 2B, 134 RBI

I didn't get that either unless Andy meant Joey was disappointing as a human being? Joey was an asshole, but he could hit.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
Take a look at C. Sanchez' split stats. He has been terrific batting left handed, vs. RHP: AVG .325 OBP .381 SLG .444

Do you think maybe he should try giving up switch hitting? He's hitting more than 100 points higher, when batting left handed.

I personally favor Beckham's successor to be the one who provides outstanding defense, with decent offense.

Sanchez has the defensive skills, and so far, has demonstrated pretty good offense, especially for his age.

obsessed, you are, with people of lefthandedness. You arent Ned Flanders, by chance?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
I think the results in the Belle era were disappointing, but that guy was an absolute wrecking ball in a sox uniform, especially during his hit streak

In Belle's last 2 seasons with Cleveland he hit 50 and 48 homers while hitting over .300. In fact, in his last 3 seasons with Cleveland he posted OPS+ of 194, 177, and 158. In two seasons with White Sox he had a 116 and 172. IIRC, Belle's first season in Chicago, with all the expectations around that team, he got off to a slow start and while he put up good numbers, they weren't to the point of what he did the two / three previous years. He then went on a complete and utter terror and IIRC had two different years where he had big 2nd halfs with us. In reality his 2nd season he was a total monster, it was the initial season, where we were paper favorites to win the world series, where Belle and pretty much our entire rotation didn't live up to the high expectations. This is going off of memory but that team had the makings of a dynasty and it never happened and fell apart pretty quickly after.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
obsessed, you are, with people of lefthandedness. You arent Ned Flanders, by chance?

You're funny. No, I'm not obsessed with "lefthandedness". I'm simply pointing out that Sanchez is hitting over 100 points higher as a left handed batter.

Does that not suggest to you that he might not be the switch hitter, he apparently aspires to be? If it were me, and I were hitting .325 from the left side, and only .222 from the right side,

I might be inclined to see if I could do a little better vs. lefties, by just staying on the left side of the plate. I have no idea how he has done in his brief career, prior to this season, but that is

a pretty dramatic split, wouldn't you say?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
You're funny. No, I'm not obsessed with "lefthandedness". I'm simply pointing out that Sanchez is hitting over 100 points higher as a left handed batter.

Does that not suggest to you that he might not be the switch hitter, he apparently aspires to be? If it were me, and I were hitting .325 from the left side, and only .222 from the right side,

I might be inclined to see if I could do a little better vs. lefties, by just staying on the left side of the plate. I have no idea how he has done in his brief career, prior to this season, but that is

a pretty dramatic split, wouldn't you say?

Remember what happened when Jose Valentin tried to stay on one side of the plate? There is one thing you arent taking into account here, Sanchez never faces lefties when he hits from the left side of the plate. His BA from the right side of the plate may be bad, but he could be a black hole facing lefties from the left side of the plate because he simply hasnt done it in his career.

Just telling a guy to go do something like that isnt as simple as it sounds.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
You're funny. No, I'm not obsessed with "lefthandedness".

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Since the Sox don't play the Tigers until just before the All Star break, perhaps they could wait until then to find that left handed, middle of the order bat.

Sizemore would be ideal, if he were anywhere near as productive as he was when he was in his mid twenties.

He was especially good against RHP. Voila!!!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
Apparently, even a few of the Sox players are as concerned about the lack of left handed hitters on their roster, as some of us are:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Sizemore could really help.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Yes, I acknowledged that Sizemore is not expected to be ready to play until around June. I also stated, in an earlier post, that since the Sox don't play the Tigers until just before the All Star break, they might be able to wait for him. The point of this latest post was to simply refer to the article which reaffirms the fact that the Sox still need another, middle of the order, left handed bat. When players are openly discussing it, it is at the least, a perceived short coming. They may qualify their remarks, and offer rationalizations, but it is obviously on their minds, and well it should be. The article states precisely what I have been arguing; That the Tigers, as well as the rest of the Central Division, have a lot of tough right handed pitchers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Here is our projected starting lineup versus RHP for 2012, with last years stats:

2012 Stats (AVG, OBP, SLG)

CF de Aza .338 .409 .541

C A. J. P. .283 .319 .393

1B Konerko .303 .389 .535

DH A. Dunn .187 .310 .336

LF Viciedo

RF A. Rios .204 .250 .328

SS Ramirez .269 .324 .407

2B Beckham .242 .307 .356

3B B. Morel .246 .290 .349

The most glaring deficiency is the lack of left handed power bats. It's the same problem that has plagued this team since the departure of Thome.

Dunn is the only potential LH power hitter, and we all know how much in doubt his prospects are. A trio of left handed hitters consisting of A. J., de Aza and Dunn does not constitute much of a threat to RH pitching, and that's what a team faces most of the time.

The lack of left handed average and on base percentage hitters is almost as serious as the absence of power.

I can't believe that K.W. intends to go into the season with that lineup.

So, who is out there, and whom would he replace, even if only as a platoon player versus RHP?

Wilson Betemit is one name that comes to mind, as a platoon with Morel. He is a very good hitter from the left side, but the defense would suffer too much to make that move compelling.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
If you want to have some fun, compare this year's stats for Wilkins and Abreu. Before someone points out the obvious fact that we're comparing AAA with MLB performance, I'm not suggesting that Wilkins is a left handed version of our Cuban Phenom. Nevertheless, it is interesting to get some perspective of the numbers that Andy is compiling.

In virtually the same number of plate appearances, they have some quite similar numbers. Rather than sight specific stats, I'd simply suggest that you take a look, including the splits.

Wilkins' power is not a function of the Knights' new ball park. He has put up very similar numbers on the road. Moreover, his home runs are more often of the tape measure variety, rather than the cheap kind.

This is just his first full season at AAA, and he is continuing his career pattern of making the adjustments at each successively higher level. The fact that he is the only left handed power bat, in the entire organization that offers any hope for filling that void, validates the argument that he should be brought up, and given an opportunity to try to make the adjustment to Major League pitching. The last two months of the season could provide some better insight into whether or not the Sox need to look for a middle of the order, left handed power bat, via trade, or free agency. As several here have suggested, there is nothing to be gained by giving those at bats to a, soon to be departed, Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 16, 2013 -> 05:55 AM)
Does he bat left handed?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
I've been very intrigued by the acquisition of Dallas McPherson, ever since his signing was announced.

This guy was a "can't miss" prospect in the Angel's organization, before he hurt his back.

Now seemingly healthy, after a couple of surgeries, it may not be too late for him to realize some of his potential.

He dominated the minor leagues, with a homer every 12 at bats in 1,287 at bats in AAA, over his last 5 minor league seasons. His OPS was .966 over that time.

Moreover, he didn't do that badly in his very limited Major League playing time.

I understand that the Sox already have a bit of a log jam at 3rd base with Morel, Teahen and Vizquel, but if McPherson can stay healthy, he could be a major contributor from the left side, in the middle of the lineup.

Does anyone have any real insight into his health?

How is he defensively, when healthy?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
You can talk about contact vs. power, increasing OBP, or any other nuance of hitting. The Sox play almost half of their games against their division rivals, and they are not built to beat those teams. I’ve discussed how well the Detroit starters handled right handed hitters last year.

The simple, unavoidable truth is that the rosters of Chicago’s A. L. Central opponents are comprised almost entirely of right handed starting pitchers. The two notable exceptions being Bruce Chen and Scott Diamond, both of whom were actually more effective against right handed hitters last year. This is just one more reason that should emphasize the need for the Sox to add a middle of the order left handed bat.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
Thank you for starting this thread. A lack of a middle of the order left handed bat continues to be the most glaring flaw in the Sox organization. There isn't a single candidate at either the Major League, or Minor League level, who could realistically be expected to contribute any time soon. It's a shame that there probably isn't even a candidate to fill this void, in the upcoming Amateur Draft, and that's picking third, with likely all of the position players, from whom to choose!!

I can keep going

In Belle's last 2 seasons with Cleveland he hit 50 and 48 homers while hitting over .300. In fact, in his last 3 seasons with Cleveland he posted OPS+ of 194, 177, and 158. In two seasons with White Sox he had a 116 and 172. IIRC, Belle's first season in Chicago, with all the expectations around that team, he got off to a slow start and while he put up good numbers, they weren't to the point of what he did the two / three previous years. He then went on a complete and utter terror and IIRC had two different years where he had big 2nd halfs with us. In reality his 2nd season he was a total monster, it was the initial season, where we were paper favorites to win the world series, where Belle and pretty much our entire rotation didn't live up to the high expectations. This is going off of memory but that team had the makings of a dynasty and it never happened and fell apart pretty quickly after.

Thank you, sir. Stellar post.