Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham

chetkincaid

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
Yeah, it's unfortunate seeing people say that. I always liked Beckham and wanted him to succeed, but it just wasn't meant to be for the Sox.

Another guy that comes to mind when thinking about this is Uribe too. He had turned into a pretty terrible hitter by the end of his Sox career and he's gone on to have a really nice career.

Uribe was never anything close to a good hitter. It didn't matter in 2005. You put Beckham in the 2005 lineup, his inability to hit would not be a problem. Uribe and Beckham are apples and oranges.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
Uribe was never anything close to a good hitter. It didn't matter in 2005. You put Beckham in the 2005 lineup, his inability to hit would not be a problem. Uribe and Beckham are apples and oranges.

He was a really good and even spectacular for a stretch hitter in 2004.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
That's a really cool tradition :) Will have to adopt it when I start taking my son to games. Thumbs up man.

My dad has always written who he attended the game with, and the final score. But I decided on the "memorable moments" idea instead. I'm very glad I did that.

In fact let me go grab a few and type them out......

- Kris Versteeg 100th career goal

- Brett Favre's "Last" game (this is December 31st, 2006, his first of about 3 "last" games)

- Jordan Danks first major league start

- Hector Santiago major league debut, 1 IP, 1 K

- Aaron Poreda's first major league win

- Jon Garland, CG 4-hitter

And here is the one I was looking for.....

- Gordon Beckham's first major league hit

PS: One of my tickets I can't read the back of, because it's currently framed in between a picture of me at the game, and Sammy Sosa standing on first base. The game was Mark Buehrle's no hitter. :)

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
My dad has always written who he attended the game with, and the final score. But I decided on the "memorable moments" idea instead. I'm very glad I did that.

In fact let me go grab a few and type them out......

- Kris Versteeg 100th career goal

- Brett Favre's "Last" game (this is December 31st, 2006, his first of about 3 "last" games)

- Jordan Danks first major league start

- Hector Santiago major league debut, 1 IP, 1 K

- Aaron Poreda's first major league win

- Jon Garland, CG 4-hitter

And here is the one I was looking for.....

- Gordon Beckham's first major league hit

PS: One of my tickets I can't read the back of, because it's currently framed in between a picture of me at the game, and Sammy Sosa standing on first base. The game was Mark Buehrle's no hitter. :)

Sammy Sosa standing on first base?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
He took the only walk in that game. IIRC Mark then picked him off.

Ah - the bastard. Another reason to hate him and wish him dead... Since I'm obviously that type of guy... Always ABSOLUETLY HATING AND DESTROYING anyone who's no longer on the Sox. So evil... Soooooo sooo evil!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
He took the only walk in that game. IIRC Mark then picked him off.

Yep. He was the only baserunner that game. Took a very close 3-2 pitch inside. Mark then promptly picked him off 1B. I knew it was coming, so I kept my camera on 1st. I got the pick off on camera, perfectly as Paulie applies the tag to his arm.......but a vendor had walked in to my shot. So it looked like Paulie is tagging the vendor. I was so pissed off.

Poor Gordy, yet again another night on the bench. He must be experiencing quite a few humbling moments... Which is likely what he needs. Maybe he'll get hit by a car on the way home, the bum.

Green people... Green.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
The PTBNL can't be conditional on performance. It can be conditional on number of games or number of plate appearances, but I never saw anything in this deal that indicated that was the case.

They likely gave the Sox a pool of players from whom they can choose and none of them are likely to be exciting.

The PTBNL can't be conditional on performance. It can be conditional on number of games or number of plate appearances, but I never saw anything in this deal that indicated that was the case.

I've never seen that said before. Where does this come from.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I've never seen that said before. Where does this come from.

The MLB and MLBPA will rarely allow any sort of conditions of contracts or agreements to be based on performance other than award based (SS, GG, ASG, MVP, yada yada). It's basically "if the guy suits up and plays a lot for us, we will reward you better."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
The MLB and MLBPA will rarely allow any sort of conditions of contracts or agreements to be based on performance other than award based (SS, GG, ASG, MVP, yada yada). It's basically "if the guy suits up and plays a lot for us, we will reward you better."

Well he has been playing a bit lately so....

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
I don't remember, and now that I think about it, I may have it confused with vesting options in contracts. Those have to be participation based and not performance based.

I have zero idea if it is true or not, I had just never seen it said before, either way.

I think he just meant the better Beckham plays, the more games he will see. So if there is any bearing on appearance, he could maximize our return.