Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham

chetkincaid

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad he's gone obviously. He was a terrible hitter, simply awful. If he does have any hitting talent, hopefully another organization's voice will help him develop into a good hitter.

Right now, his career is in serious jeopardy now that his original team has given up on him.

If he somehow becomes a star, good for him. But he had to go. He was a horrific hitter as a member of the White Sox.

I really hope they give Semien the rest of the season at 2b. While he didn't have gaudy numbers, he looked like a pro at the plate and wasn't afraid of hitting in a big situation. So many guys who come up in this organization look scared in the batters box, Marcus didn't. I think he can be a solid hitter given the opportunity.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
I really hope they give Semien the rest of the season at 2b. While he didn't have gaudy numbers, he looked like a pro at the plate and wasn't afraid of hitting in a big situation. So many guys who come up in this organization look scared in the batters box, Marcus didn't. I think he can be a solid hitter given the opportunity.

Marcus did pass the eye test cause he had a handful of huge hits. But overall, his hitting numbers sucked as I recall.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Why can't Rondon play in Birmingham or the AFL?

You really want to jump him 3 levels in one season when he's just beginning to prove he won't have the bat blown out of his hand by a dominant pitcher?

I don't even think it's three weeks left, more like 2 unless your team's in the playoffs/post-season.

Rondon needs left where he is. Next year he can move to AA.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m

Micah Johnson, your big league future is coming very soon

So he doesn't know they just shut him down for the year with a hamstring? If anything, it's Sanchez's job to lose coming into spring. Looks like they don't see Marcus as an everyday infielder at this point.

WTF has Johnson done to justify the hype? He stole a bunch of bases in A ball? From all reports his defense is shaky at best and his batting stats don't shout "certain MLB starter" far from it, they suggest "needs more time in the minors".

edit: not saying Micah shouldn't be a rated prospect but the idea that he is somehow locked in to a MLB job in '15 is ludicrous. Look at his struggles in AAA.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
Held on too long and ended up giving him away.

Would have liked to seen a trade for someone else's failed top prospect.

The utter, and inexplicable, lack of a sense of urgency to deal in July under the vain notion that this team was still in it, will retard this rebuild.

I love how you keep pounding this as if you know that Hahn had no urgency to deal any players. Gordon was like 0 for 40 in the middle of July, it isn't as if he was looking like a great player to trade for. This team sucked at the worst possible time and Hahn couldn't move anyone. Urgency has nothing to do with it, contention had nothing to do with it

Interesting comments from Merkin. Would seem to indicate Semien is on the outs vs. Micah and that Micah will be next years starter. All of this seems premature cause I would expect a pretty intense competition during ST, but I would agree that next years starting 2B is in the minors right now.

Hahn: trade was about creating opportunity for young players. Carlos Sanchez gets the call tomorrow. Marcus Semien after rosters expand.

Sanchez it is. Fine be me. We got a decent look at Semien earlier in the season, now let's see what Sanchez brings to the table. The real battle will be in ST.

I have made no bones about not being a supporter of a trade of Gordon Beckham. But, I realistically thought that over the winter we might see him dealt. But, this return for a #1 draft pick with a gold glove future ... a PTBNL or cash .... That is simply ridiculous

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
I have made no bones about not being a supporter of a trade of Gordon Beckham. But, I realistically thought that over the winter we might see him dealt. But, this return for a #1 draft pick with a gold glove future ... a PTBNL or cash .... That is simply ridiculous

You just don't get it, he's a good not great defender at 2B that can't hit. That's not very valuable, especially not for +$5M.

We don't know who the PTBNL is yet. But I don't expect it to meaningful. Bottom line is sox have at least two guys who could be the long term 2B in the minors at a fraction of the cost. The time was now - and I've always liked Gordon.

Edited by ChiSox59

Sox were going to non tender him there was no trade in the winter because Sox would not of offered arbitration.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
You just don't get it, he's a good not great defender at 2B that can't hit. That's not very valuable, especially not for +$5M.

No kidding. HE'S AWFUL. Anyone holding onto the "1st round draft pick" has lost touch with reality. The Sox did a very good job to get ANYTHING for him.

And, most importantly, they have freed up a 30 game look at Sanchez.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:00 AM)

I think you are the one who doesn't get it. I am expressing my opinion and that's it. When I want yours I will tell you what it is :hawk: ;) ;) :lol: