Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham

chetkincaid

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I have made no bones about not being a supporter of a trade of Gordon Beckham. But, I realistically thought that over the winter we might see him dealt. But, this return for a #1 draft pick with a gold glove future ... a PTBNL or cash .... That is simply ridiculous

Considering that he cleared waivers and the team with the best record in mlb got him means no one else wanted him.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Held on too long and ended up giving him away.

Would have liked to seen a trade for someone else's failed top prospect.

The utter, and inexplicable, lack of a sense of urgency to deal in July under the vain notion that this team was still in it, will retard this rebuild.

this I agree with 100%

Not surprised one bit its Sanchez getting the call. Johnson is shutdown, Semien has struggled at Charlotte ( has hit better July/Aug) and Saladino is done for the year so who else would it be? Sanchez brings a switch hitting bat to a lineup that can use a lefty bat that's not named Garcia.

Maybe the Sox feel Sanchez future is at 2B with Semien at SS.

As for Merkin's comments on Johnson, I have no clue what that man is thinking! :huh:

Anyway. I wish nothing but the best for Beckham but thank gawd he's no longer with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
Man, I'm disappointed that the Sox seem to have Sanchez and Micah ahead of Marcus on their future board. I still think Semien will be the best of the bunch.

I like Johnson a lot and would argue he has the higher ceiling, but I still think Semien has the best chance of being an an above-average 2B. He's got such a well-rounded skillset along with tremendous plate discipline. I love his bat in the two hole, because he takes a ton of pitches and gets on base at a high rate.

I'm hoping calling up Sanchez is a bit of posturing by Hahn. I honestly believe one of Semien, Sanchez, & Johnson will be trade bait if we hold onto to Alexei, and I could see Hahn using the "Carlos is our starting 2B" line this offseason to build up some leverage for him. Also, Sanchez does have the age card going for him, which probably adds to his value in the eyes of some GMs. He's definitely the guy I'm trying to move this offseason if I'm Rick Hahn.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
Man, I'm disappointed that the Sox seem to have Sanchez and Micah ahead of Marcus on their future board. I still think Semien will be the best of the bunch.

It is rather surprising, but hey're the ones with eyes on them day in and day out so I guess we'll just have to "take their word on it". Gotta be something beyond they stat lines they don't like.

In limited time this year he couldn't hit the fastball, so maybe that's a problem of his.

Or maybe it goes even further than that and the trade that Hahn brought up awhile ago that could happen in the offseason involved Marcus and they wanna "hide" him so the team doesn't change their mind. That logic is a little out there, or bizarre, but who knows.....

Or like CWS just said it could be posturing by Hahn showcasing Sanchez. Which makes much more sense than what I just said lol. I do agree that one of the 3 will be traded this offseason.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
Interesting comments from Merkin. Would seem to indicate Semien is on the outs vs. Micah and that Micah will be next years starter. All of this seems premature cause I would expect a pretty intense competition during ST, but I would agree that next years starting 2B is in the minors right now.

I still think Semien is the better overall player than Johnson. Obviously, the Sox don't see it the same way.

My rankings as far as those 3 infield prospects

1. Semien

2. Sanchez

3. Johnson

Sanchez and Semien can both play SS, while Johnson is shoddy at 2b. I think Semien can be an above average player at either 2B or SS, given his on base ability and decent power.

Edited by ron883

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
My rankings as far as those 3 infield prospects

1. Semien

2. Sanchez

3. Johnson

Sanchez and Semien can both play SS, while Johnson is shoddy at 2b. I think Semien can be an above average player at either 2B or SS, given his on base ability and decent power.

The problem is that none of Sanchez's five skills right now are above major league average. Maybe, just maybe fielding, but we'll find out soon enough when we start comparing him turning the DP and see what his range truly is...how well he makes the throw against his body where he has to turn and jump in the air and release the ball all in the same movement to get a speedy runner at 1st.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Considering that he cleared waivers and the team with the best record in mlb got him means no one else wanted him.

The Angels initially claimed Beckham off waivers, MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
The problem is that none of Sanchez's five skills right now are above major league average. Maybe, just maybe fielding, but we'll find out soon enough when we start comparing him turning the DP and see what his range truly is...how well he makes the throw against his body where he has to turn and jump in the air and release the ball all in the same movement to get a speedy runner at 1st.

His fielding at 2b is supposed to be slightly above average. He is also a better hitter than Johnson while being a year younger. He is 16 for 20 in SB attempt. He has to have at least above average speed. What makes Johnson better?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
The Angels initially claimed Beckham off waivers, MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports

So basically, every team in the AL except for maybe the Athletics (depending when he was actually placed on waivers) passed on him...and he didn't make it to the NL.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
wanted Beckham to succeed.

thought he would succeed.

waited for him to succeed.

Never happened.

Could never hit the high fastball -- and never learned to lay off it.

Didn't matter whether it was Walker, Manto or Steverson, he kept flailing and missing.

Wish him the best, except against the White Sox.

Could not have been said any better.

I wanted Beckham to succeed really bad. He was so fun to watch against the Cubs when he got called up. Future looked bright, but he just never lived up to the hype. Glad the Sox made the smart move and freed up a spot to test Sanchez/Semien (maybe Johnson?). Now if only Dunn could be traded/DFA'd/euthanized so that DH spot can be used for the same. Wilkins really deserves a look.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:31 PM)
His fielding at 2b is supposed to be slightly above average. He is also a better hitter than Johnson while being a year younger. He is 16 for 20 in SB attempt. He has to have at least above average speed. What makes Johnson better?

That's debatable.

Yes, he's been better in AAA this year but overall I'd say Micah has been the better hitter. Dude hit .329/.414/.466 in AA this year. Sanchez is repeating AAA for the 3rd year.

I love Micahs upside and have no issue with him seemingly being the lead dog.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
So I'm guessing Angels ptbnl is on their 40 man? Any guesses?

Considering it's a PTBNL or cash, I'm thinking it's a low level prospect that they'll decide on later, or they just take the money...which I can't even think of what the amount would be.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
Not surprised one bit its Sanchez getting the call. Johnson is shutdown, Semien has struggled at Charlotte ( has hit better July/Aug) and Saladino is done for the year so who else would it be? Sanchez brings a switch hitting bat to a lineup that can use a lefty bat that's not named Garcia.

Maybe the Sox feel Sanchez future is at 2B with Semien at SS.

As for Merkin's comments on Johnson, I have no clue what that man is thinking! :huh:

Anyway. I wish nothing but the best for Beckham but thank gawd he's no longer with the White Sox.

What? Micah is an exciting young player who hit .294 in AAA while playing through hamstring issues. Let him heal this offseason and get ready to battle for 2B

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Considering it's a PTBNL or cash, I'm thinking it's a low level prospect that they'll decide on later, or they just take the money...which I can't even think of what the amount would be.

Well I imagine it's the full amount so like 700k or we would have dumped him for it. I imagine Hahn said if you're worried about paying him you can try to entice us with a prospect. Given it's a small amount of cash for the Angels and it being Beckham, likely no one great but maybe we can get a lotto ticket.

Luis Da Sandman What's next, Sox trade Chris Sale? Yes, players needed to be moved, Beckham was not one of them!!!

Like · Reply · 12 · 1 hr

Mary K Scheidel-Marion Why not Sale? These are the guys that gave up Addison Reed. Eaton is ok but not worth that move. But they keep Belasorryass.

Like · 2 · 1 hr

Luis Da Sandman Another move I am upset about!!! Addison Reed was clutch!!! Hate to say it, but we are starting to act like the northside!!!

Like · 1 · 1 hr

Pat Whalen If you're going to be a fan get your facts straight. Addison Reed was not traded for Adam Eaton. He was traded for Matt Davidson who is hitting .200 at AAA Charlotte.

Like · 3 · 51 mins

Luis Da Sandman I never said Addison Reed was traded for Adam Eaton!!!

Like · 30 mins

Pat Whalen Mary K did.

Like · 26 mins

Ryan Dahl There are guys in the minors ready behind him. Why would you keep a guy in arbitration making around $4 million a year who can't hit?

Oh White Sox Facebook... lol