Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham

chetkincaid

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised one bit its Sanchez getting the call. Johnson is shutdown, Semien has struggled at Charlotte ( has hit better July/Aug) and Saladino is done for the year so who else would it be? Sanchez brings a switch hitting bat to a lineup that can use a lefty bat that's not named Garcia.

Maybe the Sox feel Sanchez future is at 2B with Semien at SS.

As for Merkin's comments on Johnson, I have no clue what that man is thinking! :huh:

Anyway. I wish nothing but the best for Beckham but thank gawd he's no longer with the White Sox.

Semien has been fine at Charlotte overall, and has been crushing it the past month. He's ready. So what do we do? We call up the utility guy...

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
Just another Brian Anderson.

peace dude. maybe someday you'll live up to your potential.

Gordon started out way better than BA ever did.

Like was mentioned earlier - he has talent. However, we gave him every chance to realize it. Even if he becomes a Hall of Famer, the Sox gave him every opportunity to succeed and are not wrong to cut ties.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:28 PM)
I agree. Semien's pitch recognition skills are superb, yet the "athletes" are rated more highly by the organization. Typical Sox.

I could be wrong but I think that Semian is very close to super 2 status. This move could have something to do with that, maybe everything to do with it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:34 PM)
Gordon started out way better than BA ever did.

Like was mentioned earlier - he has talent. However, we gave him every chance to realize it. Even if he becomes a Hall of Famer, the Sox gave him every opportunity to succeed and are not wrong to cut ties.

what talent does beckham have? He has one tool at the MLB level -- arm.

That's it. No power, no average, no OBP, not much speed or natural baserunning ablity and not much range in the field either. I guess you could say he has soft hands but that doesn't do him much good on balls he doesn't get to.

He was never that high of an upside guy in retrospect -- he was a player that matured early physically and despite all pre draft indications -- he does not have a MLB level mental makeup. He's tinkered his swing into utility infielder levels.

People are saying he has talent based on what, (not saying you are) his 1st round pick status? His 200 fluke PA his rookie year? Hawk Harrelson's mancrush?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
Semien has been fine at Charlotte overall, and has been crushing it the past month. He's ready. So what do we do? We call up the utility guy...

I don't think it's fair to label Sanchez as merely a utility guy. The utility label could just as easily be applied to Semien.

Sanchez is young, had a good bounce back season in AAA, and showed by far the most pop of his career. Perhaps there's more power potential there than initially thought; his body is filling out now afterall. I think he can be an above average starter at 2B and perhaps average at SS.

Not to discount Semien at all, but we got a look at him earlier in the season. Now let's see what Sanchez has before they battle it out in ST.

Besides, Semien will be up in a little over a week anyway.

Edited by Señor Ding-Dong

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 02:41 AM)
what talent does beckham have? He has one tool at the MLB level -- arm.

That's it. No power, no average, no OBP, not much speed or natural baserunning ablity and not much range in the field either. I guess you could say he has soft hands but that doesn't do him much good on balls he doesn't get to.

He was never that high of an upside guy in retrospect -- he was a player that matured early physically and despite all pre draft indications -- he does not have a MLB level mental makeup. He's tinkered his swing into utility infielder levels.

People are saying he has talent based on what, (not saying you are) his 1st round pick status? His 200 fluke PA his rookie year? Hawk Harrelson's mancrush?

Good post, but I think the reason some people believe Beckham has talent (and still might become a good hitter) is his college performance and draft status. The problem, some believe, is his horrific style of hitting -- with that terrible hitch. Sometimes it looks like he's all wrists up there; I'm surprised his wrists don't simply break in two. Can he reinvent himself? Is there talent there ready to come out with proper coaching/listening? Or is he a miserable stiff with no hope? Like the rest of you I hope he makes it big somewhere, preferably the NL.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
I don't think it's fair to label Sanchez as merely a utility guy. The utility label could just as easily be applied to Semien.

Sanchez is young, had a good bounce back season in AAA, and showed by far the most pop of his career. Perhaps there's more power potential there than initially thought; his body is filling out now afterall. I think he can be an above average starter at 2B and perhaps average at SS.

Not to discount Semien at all, but we got a look at him earlier in the season. Now let's see what Sanchez has before they battle it out in ST.

Yes, he's still one of the youngest players in AAA at 22 and he's putting up an OPS+ of 110 with solid defense. I think he's almost criminally under rated as a prospect because (Rick Hahn voice) progress isn't always linear and he took a step back before taking a big step forward this year.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:29 AM)
Yea I'm not really sure what they are doing with Marcus it's not ideal IMO. I don't trust their evaluation of position players. At all.

Amen, brother. I kind of agree with you. I wonder if somebody decided Semien isn't all that. Buddy Bell?

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)

I agree about Semien and I love how he has improved his BB/K rate. As for Sanchez, time will tell but I do think he will be a better hitter than Garcia who is the current utility. Given Sanchez age, I'm willing to wait and see. IMO, Sanchez switch hitting ability could be another reason he got the call over Semien which isn't too big of a deal since Semien likely joins the Sox in another 10 days anyway.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)

See, I don't agree with this. Sanchez gets that tag because he has put up an empty batting average up until this year. Semien has proven he can walk a ton and slug at a decent clip. That isn't a utility player, just because he can play multiple positions. I like the Ben Zobrist comp.

Edited by ron883

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
Anyone hear any names in return? I seen Hahn's comments about evaluating but I'd imaging they've been doing that

Sometimes these trades are based on performance. If Gordon produces X or above Sox get a lousy player. If Gordon doesn't produce above X Sox get a lousier player.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
I agree. Semien's pitch recognition skills are superb, yet the "athletes" are rated more highly by the organization. Typical Sox.

Let's not pretend Micah is just some athlete.

Lets take a look at where he's started each year...

2012- Rookie ball- .273/.375/.391 74/43 K/BB

2013- A - .342/.422/.530 67/40 K/BB

2014- AA - 329/.414/.466 27/21 K/BB

Now it hasn't translated upon being called up a level, but the same could be said for Semien last year when he made the jump from AA to AAA and then again from AAA to MLB

Also wouldn't really say Sanchez is the better athlete when comparing Sanchez and Semien, though I have nothing to base that on.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
Yes, he's still one of the youngest players in AAA at 22 and he's putting up an OPS+ of 110 with solid defense. I think he's almost criminally under rated as a prospect because (Rick Hahn voice) progress isn't always linear and he took a step back before taking a big step forward this year.

I too am shocked at how quickly people discount Sanchez. I really don't get it.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
See, I don't agree with this. Sanchez gets that tag because he has put up an empty batting average up until this year. Semien has proven he can walk a ton and slug at a decent clip. That isn't a utility player, just because he can play multiple positions. I like the Ben Zobrist comp.

Just to be clear, I wasn't actually saying Semien is a utility guy. I think more of him than that.

I really would like Johnson to start next season in AAA, as I don't think he's nearly ready for the majors yet. I agree with a lot of the posts in this thread that suggest Semien is the best of the bunch. With that said, I'm excited to see if Sanchez can make a case to start at 2nd next year. When the rosters expand, they better not continue to play Alexei every single day.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
wanted Beckham to succeed.

thought he would succeed.

waited for him to succeed.

Never happened.

Could never hit the high fastball -- and never learned to lay off it.

Didn't matter whether it was Walker, Manto or Steverson, he kept flailing and missing.

Wish him the best, except against the White Sox.

I thought he was the next Paul Molitor. I was wrong.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
I really would like Johnson to start next season in AAA, as I don't think he's nearly ready for the majors yet. I agree with a lot of the posts in this thread that suggest Semien is the best of the bunch. With that said, I'm excited to see if Sanchez can make a case to start at 2nd next year. When the rosters expand, they better not continue to play Alexei every single day.

I think they will to pump up his trade value. Ramirez has and is going to have a good year. This will be back to back years around 3 fWAR and 3 bWAR. Pretty much everyone, saber guys, scouting guys, casual fans, like Alexei and there's no doubt why -- he's a talented player.

He should command a pretty good return in any trade. The risk is holding onto him too long or not long enough. Tough call but if Hahn gets bowled over obviously make the deal Ramirez is great but father time is undefeated.