Hawk

Dick Allen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should he really be driving home alone for two hours late at night?

I don't know if age affects his driving ability, but when I was 18-25 I did the same drive home from Sox games dozens of times. He's pretty close to a Toll Road Exit so it's a pretty easy drive.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
I don't know if age affects his driving ability, but when I was 18-25 I did the same drive home from Sox games dozens of times. He's pretty close to a Toll Road Exit so it's a pretty easy drive.

Yeah but did you drink as much as Hawk does in the booth and then make that drive?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)

There's a big difference between 18-25 and 73. His age is what I was referring to.

Yeah but did you drink as much as Hawk does in the booth and then make that drive?

I guess I just always assumed that he has a driver. The article doesn't really say one way or the other.

But no, when I was making that drive I wasn't drinking.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
That's true since hawk is actually entertaining

I meant as far as cutting back his schedule. And Hawk was entertaining. Now he's unbearable. I really can't believe how many people who seemingly have listened to him for 20+ years (30 years for me), think he's still fun to listen to, or think he's on his game. That's your opinion, and that's fine. But I think he's terrible now.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
I meant as far as cutting back his schedule. And Hawk was entertaining. Now he's unbearable. I really can't believe how many people who seemingly have listened to him for 20+ years (30 years for me), think he's still fun to listen to, or think he's on his game. That's your opinion, and that's fine. But I think he's terrible now.

I think Hawk is entertaining as hell when things are going good. When things are going bad he becomes unbearable.

Any time I think Hawk is terrible, all I need to do is surf around my MLB audio subscription. That just makes me want to stab my ears out.

Honestly, we are really, really luck with the TV and radio crews that we have in all sports. Chicago has some incredible talent broadcasting their local teams. It is a great time to be consuming Chicago sports in terms of the crews giving us the games.

Damnit. I've always hoped that hawk would crash and burn in one final blow up that would cause a fantastic media storm and then he could just sit back and smoke a big cigar while laughing at reporters.

Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away? - High Fidelity

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
Any time I think Hawk is terrible, all I need to do is surf around my MLB audio subscription. That just makes me want to stab my ears out.

Honestly, we are really, really luck with the TV and radio crews that we have in all sports. Chicago has some incredible talent broadcasting their local teams. It is a great time to be consuming Chicago sports in terms of the crews giving us the games.

Again, your opinion.

I don't doubt when listening to other crews, some of them are dull or stupid. But once a new PBP guy comes in, chances are we'll get used to it, because the focus is the White Sox.

My hope is when Hawk retires, the replacement will be a professional broadcaster on par with John Rooney or Wayne Hagin, with a former player as a color guy. And believe me, there will be sadness once Hawk leaves. That's about 90% of my Sox viewing life, but he's really bad now---again, my opinion.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Again, your opinion.

I don't doubt when listening to other crews, some of them are dull or stupid. But once a new PBP guy comes in, chances are we'll get used to it, because the focus is the White Sox.

My hope is when Hawk retires, the replacement will be a professional broadcaster on par with John Rooney or Wayne Hagin, with a former player as a color guy. And believe me, there will be sadness once Hawk leaves. That's about 90% of my Sox viewing life, but he's really bad now---again, my opinion.

I have a sinking feeling the replacement will be Mike Huff. I can hope for Wimpy again, but somehow I doubt he wants to do that full time again.

He is terrible now, there's no doubt about it. At some point, all things must come to an end. This is the best idea to start to phase this out. Pretty soon, no road games. Then move on entirely.

Like you said, get a real PBP guy in there, and we'll be good. I don't need someone that always yells catchphrases and is a giant homer for it to be "exciting."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)

Yep. Hawk for all his flaws doesn't put you to sleep like pretty much every other crew out there.

People hear what they want to hear when it comes to Hawk. For one thing, the TWTW stuff. If it is sabermetrics that values working counts and getting walks, guess who has been humming that since way before sabermetrics was even a word?

White Sox fans have learned more about baseball listening to Hawk then Cubs fans have listening to good ole' Len. But Len does tell you what you need to put on your IPod.

There are a lot of things about the game that people don't even think twice about, call things certain things, look for certain things, that even the Hawk haters don't even realize and probably will never admit, they got from him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
If I'm not mistaken, Steve Stone's contract is up at the end of this year. He almost walked away a couple of years ago. I wonder what the plans are for him to re-up and continue on. I certainly hope he does!

I think he is signed through next season.