Hawk

Dick Allen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
LMAO no, he just disappeared and all the sudden Stone was PBP

If I remember correctly, he said something a few times of not being able to say something correctly because he had a bad cold. My guess is when the game went in extra innings that Hawk was just feeling so under the weather, that he took off and asked Stone to finish out.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
"What a great shot that is; that's baseball." Great comment.

I was watching the cubs yesterday because of the Blue Jays starting pitcher and Len Kasper seems to almost be over the top in trying to use advanced metics to explain the game. He was trying at one point to explain how Jose Bautista was clutch but that there is no such thing as clutch he is just a very good hitter.

There seems to be this growing crowd that feels that baseball is a mathematical problem to be solved with each pitch and the game itself and score is secondary.

kasper is damn good but sometimes I was like......huh?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
I was watching the cubs yesterday because of the Blue Jays starting pitcher and Len Kasper seems to almost be over the top in trying to use advanced metics to explain the game. He was trying at one point to explain how Jose Bautista was clutch but that there is no such thing as clutch he is just a very good hitter.

There seems to be this growing crowd that feels that baseball is a mathematical problem to be solved with each pitch and the game itself and score is secondary.

Sounds like the only thing worse than preferring SABR or old school stuff is trying to simultaneously endorse both philosophies wholeheartedly

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
I hear what comes through my television speakers. And this year it's been nonsense to a level it has never reached previously.

He may have taught a lot of stuff before, now he's just a crazy man who wants to turn everything into some grandiose proclamation that doesn't make any sense. But yes, Hawk was the first one in baseball who thought the walk was a good idea.

That's the point. It's not that people didn't like Hawk before, but the time has come to move forward.

Perfect summary.

I know that Hawk said stuff about wanting to see his grand kids play ball more, but I also wonder if what happens during our off season has any bearing on his decision. I mean it 's hard enough traveling all over and being away from family, And then when that time is watching a team destroy itself game after game because of issues like a bullpen just GIVING games away. I wonder..................if he REALLY believes that the team would be a dominant threat next year...i wonder if that would factor in his decision to stay on full time or not? Could he also be waiting to see what the front office accomplishes before he makes a final decision on whether he feells that another season is worth being away form the family again? I believe that his "DRIVE" to announce is still there....but if he feels that we still wont have enough to be a major factor next year.................then that has to take some of the drive and incentive away from him doing this full time again. BUT if he feels that we will be a legitimate threat, I think that he would not want to miss out on being a center figure (the main announcer) during a season where the real thrill of winning again is alive and hungry. I may be wrong, but part of this seems to make sense.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Steve Stone is a very smart baseball guy, and when he's not being talked over by Hawk he tells the viewers some pretty interesting stuff. It's annoying when Hawk will ask Stone a question about pitching, and then as Stone answers Hawk will go off on a tangent.

At the same time, Stone hasn't abandoned some of the old school stuff.

I'm surprised how much he stresses the win and loss record of pitchers still.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)

Sometimes a .500 pitcher on a bad team is still a .500 pitcher on a good team. I know people don't think a pitching record matters but guys have won 15 or more on teams with a losing record. Some players bring confidence to a team with their presence. I thought Jack McDowell was that kind of guy. So is Chris Sale.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
Sometimes a .500 pitcher on a bad team is still a .500 pitcher on a good team. I know people don't think a pitching record matters but guys have won 15 or more on teams with a losing record. Some players bring confidence to a team with their presence. I thought Jack McDowell was that kind of guy. So is Chris Sale.

Halladay with the Jays, Greinke for a season or two with the Royals.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)

Chris Sale was 11 - 14 last year.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)

People don't think a pitching record matters because, well, pitching record doesn't matter. Especially when there are 100 more better stats to evaluate past performance and predict future performance.

If he brings so much confidence, why do the Sox struggle to score runs/hold leads in some of his starts? Why did he have a losing record last year? Not enough TWTW?

Sale is good at throwing the baseball past people. It does not have any impact on the offense or the bullpen. Baseball is an individual game.