De Aza Traded to Orioles

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
The thing you ignore, which is odd since you seem to be very concerned with JR's bank account, is De Aza also makes $4.5 million more than Avi. But let's revisit when Avi is hot and De Aza is cold.

Price of a win on the open market is about $7m, making him fine value. Avi on the other hand is not even good value at the league minimum.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
It is the typical De Aza pattern. He performs when he moves on to the new team, and then slowly slides back into his garbage self. The guy already got DFA'd once this year. He did the same thing when he came to the Sox, and when he went to Baltimore.

He'll soon fall apart. Again.

Garbage:

bEQLdi1.png

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ADA isn't garbage. He just isn't especially good, either. Teams like the Orioles and Athletics have been surprising pundits over the past several years simply by making sure every position has AT LEAST an ADA instead of some complete meltdown player. Meanwhile, teams like the Brewers and Rockies continually disappoint despite having several elite players because they tolerate using the corpse of Alex Gonzalez as a first baseman.

Obviously the Sox believed in Avi, even if I disagree. It was an upside play that hasn't panned out. If you give them the benefit of the doubt in assuming Avi was a good prospect, the move was entirely defensible -- but it was never some obvious slam dunk decision and this example is one that illustrates why.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
I generally agreed with you until the last line. Avi's been so bad this year that "The White Sox would be better with De Aza right now" is unarguably true.

Long term would they be better with him? Well, Avi's been so bad that if the White Sox want to really field a competitive roster next year he needs replaced. If they're ok rebuilding, he can have another year or two to see if he can turn into something useful. He might well just be a guy we waste 4 years on without ever getting anything positive.

Depends on your view. If you think purely this year and ignore salary, then I agree, De Aza has been better. That said, he was a dumpster fire in Baltimore to start the season and long-term I don't know if the answer holds true or not. Thinking down the line, as down as I am on Avi, I still think he has more upside and promise and thus I think given where we stand today as a team (e.g., out of the race and looking towards next year), i'd rather have Avi on my roster (and the extra cash) then De Aza.

All this said, I always liked and appreciate De Aza. He was a far better player then Sox fans gave him credit for.

When the Sox lose this board gets fun!

De Aza would be the savior to this team?? The same one that got DFA'ed?? The same player I've watched over the past 3-4 years?? He was the epitome of this team -- bad defense, bad base running, selfish hitter who went for power and struck out a ton, was very hot and cold at the plate ... am I missing something?

He's an older version of what Viciedo and Garcia are. The only difference is Garcia is cheaper, younger, and hopefully, with some right direction may be able to turn himself into something good. Or may turn into Viciedo or De Aza.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
wut who is saying De Aza would be the savior

Fine. Not savior. Talk about nitpicking a post. It's sunny out.

"Who said it's sunny out -- there's a cloud over there"

Any argument for De Aza is a dumb argument. How about that?

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
When the Sox lose this board gets fun!

De Aza would be the savior to this team?? The same one that got DFA'ed?? The same player I've watched over the past 3-4 years?? He was the epitome of this team -- bad defense, bad base running, selfish hitter who went for power and struck out a ton, was very hot and cold at the plate ... am I missing something?

He's an older version of what Viciedo and Garcia are. The only difference is Garcia is cheaper, younger, and hopefully, with some right direction may be able to turn himself into something good. Or may turn into Viciedo or De Aza.

This is literally different to the facts. De Aza is a career positive-rated baserunner and defender. To believe he is bad at those things, you have to believe that the stats get it badly wrong on him every single year. Alternatively, you, and others, have evaluated those things based on a few memorable incidents that stuck in your mind but weren't really a good summary of his skills at those things. I prefer the latter explanation.

A selfish hitter who struck out a ton? I mean, they're just words. What do they even mean? He's a career .268/.329/.407, exactly major league average.

If you believe the defence of De Aza and the defence of Garcia are equivalent then I don't even know what to say to you.

And nobody is saying De Aza would be the saviour here or anything. I just posted it as he was completely unfairly maligned as a White Sox player and we have a much worse player who has managed to trick the franchise into believing he has a bright future who gets about a tenth of the criticism.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Fine. Not savior. Talk about nitpicking a post. It's sunny out.

"Who said it's sunny out -- there's a cloud over there"

Any argument for De Aza is a dumb argument. How about that?

Still hyperbolic and wrong. For starters he's a better hitter than 90% of our team right now and no amount of baserunning mistakes changes that.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Still hyperbolic and wrong. For starters he's a better hitter than 90% of our team right now and no amount of baserunning mistakes changes that.

Okay, better than 90%. That means he's better than everybody except 2.5 players. Off the top of my head Abreu and Sale.

Oh wait, you are going to say you were only talking bats. So he's better than everybody than 1.3 players. So Abreu.

Yep. That makes sense.

I am about done with this board. I'm going to go back to just reading and rolling my eyes.

De Aza is GARBAGE! There's a reason he was traded. There is a reason he was DFA'ed --- by the Marlins and the Orioles. There's a reason he won't be on the Red Sox next year. There's a reason why next year if he makes a team he'll be released, DFA'ed, or not be resigned. And there's a reason he won't be in the MLB within 2-3 years.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
Okay, better than 90%. That means he's better than everybody except 2.5 players. Off the top of my head Abreu and Sale.

Oh wait, you are going to say you were only talking bats. So he's better than everybody than 1.3 players. So Abreu.

Yep. That makes sense.

I am about done with this board. I'm going to go back to just reading and rolling my eyes.

De Aza is GARBAGE! There's a reason he was traded. There is a reason he was DFA'ed --- by the Marlins and the Orioles. There's a reason he won't be on the Red Sox next year. There's a reason why next year if he makes a team he'll be released, DFA'ed, or not be resigned. And there's a reason he won't be in the MLB within 2-3 years.

I was through with De Aza when he was traded as well, but there was a good reason the Marlins DFA-ed him. he had a pretty bad leg injury and they werent sure he was ever going to play at the major league level again.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)

Oh wait, you are going to say you were only talking bats.

I literally used the words "he's a better hitter than..."

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
I literally used the words "he's a better hitter than..."

Exactly. That's why I followed it up with the bats part. But why don't you defend you asinine comment.

Do you stand by your statement then? The only hitter better than him is Abreu? Bottom 9, Abreu just hit a triple, tie ball game, on deck ..... and you want .... De Aza over everybody on our team. That's essentially what you just said.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Exactly. That's why I followed it up with the bats part. But why don't you defend you asinine comment.

Do you stand by your statement then? The only hitter better than him is Abreu? Bottom 9, Abreu just hit a triple, tie ball game, on deck ..... and you want .... De Aza over everybody on our team. That's essentially what you just said.

The only hitter other than Abreu who has been better than De Aza this year is Soto. And that's in a lot fewer plate appearances.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)

Why even mention Sale if you recognized I was talking about hitters?

Look at everybody's numbers. It's not that difficult a statement to defend. OPS and wRC+:

Tyler Saladino: .857, 134

Jose Abreu: .806, 121

De Aza: .767, 107

Geo Soto: .761, 109

Adam Eaton: .713, 97

And on down. Soto's in a virtual tie, so I'll take my 0.3 player credit you gave me there. Hinges on whether you believe in Saladino and his 37 plate appearances. I have a feeling you'll tell me you do.

Saladino is a nobody. I'm no casual baseball fan. I can go statistics. I can go eye test. I can go whatever you like. I think you sit down with Rick Hahn face to face and tell him you think that Soto is our best hitter outside of Abreu and keep a straight face I'll give you $50.

Shysocks: " I said right now, look at my post, I said right now"

Like I said if this is the bottom 9 tie game -- You go ahead and take Soto.

I'll take the following people:

No brainer category:

Alexei, LaRoche, Eaton, Melky

To a lesser extent:

Garcia, Saladino (right now)

The leftovers:

Rest of the team

De Aza would be in the lesser extent category.