The Adam Dunn Appreciation Thread

The Ultimate Champion

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Dunn and his family nothing but the best. He didn't live up to expectations but he never made excuses and he handled things well IMO.

If Dunn does retire then that ends any future discussions about the Sox trying to sign him for 2015.

Edit: I agree that Navarro is still the biggest disappointment in Sox history. I forget which sports writer it was but the guy said when the Sox went on road trips Navarro needed a U-haul to carry his ERA . :D

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
I wish Dunn and his family nothing but the best. He didn't live up to expectations but he never made excuses and he handled things well IMO.

If Dunn does retire then that ends any future discussions about the Sox trying to sign him for 2015.

Edit: I agree that Navarro is still the biggest disappointment in Sox history. I forget which sports writer it was but the guy said when the Sox went on road trips Navarro needed a U-haul to carry his ERA . :D

with Navarro I would put Todd Ritchie for Kip Wells trade.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:08 PM)
Adam had one good year with us and it wasn't even that great honestly.

It would have been nice to get some more out of him, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

I wonder what San Fran was offering.

Hope he kills it with the A's. He's a great guy but I can't honestly say I'll miss him.

I won't miss him being on the Sox, but I will miss him being in baseball. Loved seeing his monster shots in the highlights long before he ever played for the Sox.

This guy basically stole $56 million from the White Sox (and yes, I realize it was an AWFUL signing by KW). Whether he was a nice guy or a good teammate is irrelevant to me. He was sold to the fanbase as a major addition and was an epic fail. Good riddance.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
This guy basically stole $56 million from the White Sox (and yes, I realize it was an AWFUL signing by KW). Whether he was a nice guy or a good teammate is irrelevant to me. He was sold to the fanbase as a major addition and was an epic fail. Good riddance.

You expect him to give it back?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
It might even be statistically close, but Navarro is the tie breaker himself.

Bobby Bonds was an awful addition. Dan Pasqua was a joke. Claudell Washington was no good. Navarro like you said. Some of the Veeck acquisitions didn't work out. But Adam Dunn certainly is the worst ever because of that first season. Worst season in big league history, right? Nobody can hit .150.

I was a big proponent of the Adam Dunn signing. Overall, his time here was underwhelming, largely exacerbated by his 2011 season. It put a bad taste in the mouths of a large portion of the fanbase, so while strikeouts and all the good stuff that comes with a player like Dunn were expected, I think they were harder to tolerate for many because of that season's stink.

If you're drinking all night at a party, it's expected that you're going to end up sloshed towards the end of the festivities and likely wake up hungover. If you're drinking all night at a party and you also happen to be on prescription medication, you're going to end up sloshed a lot earlier and likely wake up in much worse shape. Dunn '11 is the prescription medication.

That said, this guy wasn't too far off.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 07:18 AM)
The former Texas Longhorn QB recruit may have a big name, but has hit more meaningless roundtrippers than anyone in the game. As a Cincinnati Reds fan I can tell you that the Reds were drastically better without him. He can hit the long ball, but strikes out a ton. There is a reason he has floated from team to team since leaving Cincinnati.

Unless they do a movie about Will Farrells life, Adam Dunn will be best known as the most overrated power hitter of this baseball generation.

Thats just my opinion.

Without hindsight, I'd still want the Sox to go after him when he hit free agency following the 2010 season.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
I was a big proponent of the Adam Dunn signing. Overall, his time here was underwhelming, largely exacerbated by his 2011 season. It put a bad taste in the mouths of a large portion of the fanbase, so while strikeouts and all the good stuff that comes with a player like Dunn were expected, I think they were harder to tolerate for many because of that season's stink.

If you're drinking all night at a party, it's expected that you're going to end up sloshed towards the end of the festivities and likely wake up hungover. If you're drinking all night at a party and you also happen to be on prescription medication, you're going to end up sloshed a lot earlier and likely wake up in much worse shape. Dunn '11 is the prescription medication.

That said, this guy wasn't too far off

Of course the Reds improved when Dunn left. His last six years in Cincinnati they gave up over 800 runs each season. It hasn't happened again since and the last few years they have allowed less than 600. I am sure that's all Dunns fault, it has nothing to do with the sudden improvement of the Reds pitching staff.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 02:53 AM)

That said, this guy wasn't too far off.

Without hindsight, I'd still want the Sox to go after him when he hit free agency following the 2010 season.

Some fans didn't like the trade. I applaud them for knowing. I remember being excited because everybody else was so excited. I didn't watch much NL ball at all and trusted everybody else. But I remember a few being against it. I remember my dad didn't want him and was upset from the start.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 05:51 AM)
The personal disdain people have for players like Dunn worries and disappoints me

I actually thought it was great he pitched for the Sox. That was an awesome inning and fun moment. Nothing against the guy, he just defined the team's losing years. Considering everything, for the money, he was one of the worst players in Sox history. Kudos to him for getting that contract, though. I wish him well with the money. I don't cry over Jerry's wallet, that is for sure. I am glad Dunn is a mega-millionaire and will live the next 40 years in total luxury. Everybody says he's a great great guy and I believe that and I'm happy for him.

I just hated his performance. he was a miserable hitter with some good moments.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 02:44 AM)
C'mon man. Fans don't like bad baseball players. Fans really don't like bad baseball players that eat up payroll and prevent improvement in other areas. Let's not make this more than it is.

That doesn't justify the kind of garbage slung at Dunn in this thread.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
That doesn't justify the kind of garbage slung at Dunn in this thread.

Are you kidding us? He absolutely sucked .... Worst FA signing in Sox history. Deserves all the boos and heckling this community can direct his way.