Updated MLB Free Agent Power Rankings List (9/2)

caulfield12

Who from the Top 3-10 do you most want?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one to pay for 3-4 years and $40-80 million

• Big Game James Shields
    • Hanley Ramirez
    • Pablo Sandoval
    • Victor Martinez
    • Yasmani Tomas
    • Melky Cabrera
    • Russell Martin
    • Nelson Cruz
    • Kenta Maeda
    • Rasmus/Markakis/Morse (choose one) and one reliever (see below)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015-free-agent-power-rankings

You likely won’t find a reliever cracking the top 10, but closers David Robertson, Francisco Rodriguez, Casey Janssen and Rafael Soriano have been excellent, while Luke Gregerson and Andrew Miller have been lights out in a setup capacity.

Erwin Santana, Hammel, Peavy, McCarthy, Masterson, Liriano, De La Rosa and Beckett all possible names for the 3-4 slot while waiting on the arrival of Rodon.

Mike Morse, Asdrubal Cabrera (for SS), JJ Hardy (once again, if Alexei is traded) and Markakis are the other interesting names.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Caulfield is the king of making polls where you "choose one" and one of the options has multiple players.

This is the Soxtalk equivalent to Hawk's "He's the best 2-strike, in the bottom half of an inning, bases empty, with an infield shift, inside fastball - hitter I've ever seen, Stone Pony..."

Wow that's a s***ty FA market if those are the top ten.

Russell Martin is definitely interesting depending on the price.

Maybe Melky Cabrera or Victor Martinez but both have drawbacks.

Would definitely be interested in having Brandon McCarthy back.

Not sure whether or not Texas is thinking about picking up Rios' option, but that dude is absolutely destroying lefties. If you had Rios in LF and Gillaspie at 3B and used Semien to start at 3B vs all LHP and occasionally in LF vs RHP, that could be one hell of a dual platoon there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Just say no to James Shields, guys. He's beginning his decline. He's 33, velocity and strikeouts are down. This is EXACTLY the type of guy you do NOT want to win the bidding on. Do not pay a guy for what he WAS.

Absolutely! Shields looks like a nice option now but not for the entire 3-4 year deal he will likely get.

I see Panda has two votes now, who is the other besides myself?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
I'm not really on board with committing a significant amount of free agent dollars to a guy with an OBP of .341 in 2013 and .331 in 2014.

Now he has a .368 OBP vs RHP, but then that doesn't really help if you're trying to platoon him with Gillaspie.

Not really saying to platoon them but against lefties they could just bat him a little lower in the lineup

I went Martinez. He just seems like a guy who can produce for at least 3 more years. I'm sure he'll probably want 4 so try and frontload the deal so the 4th year isn't that bad. (I think that's a thing in baseball, I know it happens in football but we don't hear about it much in baseball).

I'd like to see Semien get some time in LF a few times this month to see if he can hang out there.

1. Eaton

2. Semien

3. Abreu

4. Martinez

5. Garcia

6. Gillaspie

7. Ramirez

8. Flowers

9. Johnson/Sanchez

Sign an impact bullpen arm and work the trade market for some more bullpen help.....If they can somehow move Danks without paying an arm and a leg then relocate that into another arm to go with Sale-Q-Rodon-Noesi. If Bassitt shows some signs down the stretch perhaps he can be that #5 and they can relocate Danks $ into yet another pen arm or 2.

Not really saying to platoon them but against lefties they could just bat him a little lower in the lineup

Yeah, but Sandoval is a total black hole vs LHP. OPS under 600. He might as well just bat lefty full time. Not a good fit for a team who already has a lefty hitting 3B.

I think Shields fits great on this team, but if the bidding gets up to $25M per year, which it likely will, the SOX won't be in on him.

Maeda and Markakis would both be great. As would Cruz or Martinez. There are options, but they won't be cheap. I think the SOX are most likely to pick up a big, overpaid, bat via trade, and either sign Shields or Maeda, and hopefully a few bullpen arms. Also would love to see Bonifacio on this team next year.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
How about Markakis, Martin, Maeda?

Way too much money. That's going to push the payroll back up to $100 million, at least.

Then you STILL haven't done anything to address the bullpen issues, and you're praying for miracles if you think that current group of players is going to be at least average as a pen right now. Petricka and Putnam would have to repeat, and Webb's looking to be headed for more seasoning back in the minors. Maybe Guerra, but I'd hate to rely on Cleto coming into next year as a "reliable" part of the pen. Bassit seems like he could be a great long man, but then you're still short the two or three most important parts of your pen...and best lefty/righty setup guys and closer.

Hawk's belaboring the point too much these days, but all those blown games do mount up and tend to demoralize the team after a point. The reverse, is, of course, true...like that 2005 and first half 2008 pens that were lockdown and the team felt like, just get a 1 run lead to the 7th and it's automatic, kind of like the Royals have right now.

Edited by caulfield12