9/5 at Indians

flavum

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox lose 2-1 offense sucks again.................Tank really sucked in the top of the 10th. Ventura amateur hour again in the 10th. Sox fans deserve a lot better than what he is giving since day 1.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Teams almost never walk the batter if it's someone on first base with 1 out.

Why would that be if it is so much better for them? The timing of the complaints was interesting again. Waiting until after the inning is over. But Soxtslk got what they wanted, the Charlotte Knights playing major league baseball. It is hard to win when you score 1 run.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 03:22 AM)
Why would that be if it is so much better for them? The timing of the complaints was interesting again. Waiting until after the inning is over. But Soxtslk got what they wanted, the Charlotte Knights playing major league baseball. It is hard to win when you score 1 run.

For starters, there haven't been many Jose Abreu's. Something Hahn is go.ng to have to address is getting someone behind Abreu that will make teams think twice about intentionally walking him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
If it is so much better to not bunt and have the runner at 1st, wouldn't a genius manager like yourself, just walk Abreu anyway ?

No I wouldn't. Neither would most mangers. But if one wants to, let them. But to be in that position, L Garcia would have had to make an out. maybe he actually gets a hit. Then you are walking the bases loaded by walking Abreu.

Ventura made the affirmative decision to both give away an out AND take the bat out of Abreu's hands.

That's an indefensible move.

It hardly takes a genius to think one move ahead.

That Ventura can't grasp the basics is why he has no business managing. Not to mention managing the Sox to the worst finish in 42 years, another disaster this year etc.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:24 PM)
For starters, there haven't been many Jose Abreu's. Something Hahn is go.ng to have to address is getting someone behind Abreu that will make teams think twice about intentionally walking him.

We have been told line up protection is a myth. But the point is, if you looked at it mathematically, I would bet there is far greater chance of Eaton scoring from 2nd with 1 out with Garcia coming up, than scoring with him at 1st with Abreu up and 1 out, or the complaining is moot because Abreu would just be walked by any manager with a clue even with a runner on first.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 03:19 AM)
If you bring in beliosukio u deserve too lose the game its time for robin to resign.

Maybe he's trying to make a point, that Bella can't be on the team next year. Tonight should be the final nail for Bella.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
No I wouldn't. Neither would most mangers. But if one wants to, let them. But to be in that position, L Garcia would have had to make an out. maybe he actually gets a hit. Then you are walking the bases loaded by walking Abreu.

Ventura made the affirmative decision to both give away an out AND take the bat out of Abreu's hands.

That's an indefensible move.

It hardly takes a genius to think one move ahead.

That Ventura can't grasp the basics is why he has no business managing. Not to mention managing the Sox to the worst finish in 42 years, another disaster this year etc.

Why wouldn't you if it is such a better situation? I do like how you waited to whine until after you saw the result.

And all things being equal, even if he didn't bunt and the runner was on first, unless Abreu were to get an extra base hit, with Garcia's walk it meant nothing.

BTW, Francona pitched to Abreu with 1st base open 3 times last week, and Abreu had 3 hits.

And if Abreu is the Sox only hope of scoring, blaming the manager for the poor record is beyond laughable.how were the Sox able to win 85 games with Ventura at the helm in 2012? You seem to always ignore that season .

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
Why wouldn't you if it is such a better situation? I do like how you waited to whine until after you saw the result.

And all things being equal, even if he didn't bunt and the runner was on first, unless Abreu were to get an extra base hit, with Garcia's walk it meant nothing.

BTW, Francona pitched to Abreu with 1st base open 3 times last week, and Abreu had 3 hits.

And if Abreu is the Sox only hope of scoring, blaming the manager for the poor record is beyond laughable.how were the Sox able to win 85 games with Ventura at the helm in 2012? You seem to always ignore that season .

That brings up the argument it should have been more than 85. This century the Sox are often CompletelyUselessBySpetember and it doesn't matter who the manager is. That is the mystery yet to be solved. The only constant is the managers got their start with the White Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
Robin isn't the greatest but at this point deserves a chance to manage a team with a roster projected to finish first, not last. If he's willing to keep managing the Sox, might as well let him for a while.

Why does he deserve that?

he deserves nothing but his paycheck for his service as manager.

Hopefully it ends soon - he's the worst the Sox have had since Gutteridge in 1970.

Edited by GreenSox

Once Eaton got on first with his bunt single, it was gonna be tough to get Abreu to hit. I was hoping Eaton would steal second, then bunt him to third, but they would still have walked Abreu. I'm sure that once Eaton got on, Francona was not going to let Abreu beat him. Nothing Robin can do at that point. What was he supposed to do? Tell Leury to strike out so that he does not advance Eaton? I give Robin a pass on this one.

In the bottom of the 10th, when Indians led off with a triple, conventional wisdom says load the bases to get a force anywhere. RV did that, and Surkamp struck out a lefty hitter. This where RV might have screwed up, bringing in Beli. I would have brought in Putnam with his great sinker/splitter and hope for double play. No pass here for Robin.

Edit: And if 'bad manager' is the new subject here, be thankful that Bo Porter was not the Sox skipper.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
Stay out of the double play. Garcia has a 62.5% ground ball rate

Of course this point gets ignored.

And lets not act like his speed would keep him out of a DP.

He's had 32 ABs with a runner on 1B. 13 of those ABs resulted in a K, no walks. So he's put the ball in play 19 times with a runner on 1B. 6 have been hits....6 have been DPs.

For reference Adam Eaton and Conor Gillaspie have a hit into a combined 6 DPs in over 800 ABs. Hell even the sloth that is PK has only GIDP 7 times in 50 more ABs than Leury.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
I love this lineup tonight. I know we talk about how a lot of the games, it's not bad for the future if the Sox lose. Well, tonight is a game I'd really like to see them win.

Me too but as usual our dreams get smashed

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 10h

Also, Leury Garcia's sacrifice that took bat out of Abreu's hands didn't come from dugout or coach's box.

I would like to say something like I am surprised but I am not

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 10h

Also, Leury Garcia's sacrifice that took bat out of Abreu's hands didn't come from dugout or coach's box.

Not sure that this is any less damning to all involved. Didn't see the game, but were the fielders positioned such that Leury was trying for a hit? Regardless, Leury, of all our MI "prospects" is the one who needs MiLB ABs the most in an attempt to become a legit big leaguer. He isn't there currently, and really should be getting zero PT now that Sanchez and Semien have arrived.

EDIT: I see he entered game for injured Lexi, OK, but we'll see if he's in any regular lineups going forward. If it takes a single PA away from Carlos or Marcus, he shouldn't be out there.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen