2015 Schedule

flavum

According to a Pirates beat writer, the MLB schedule is coming out tomorrow at noon.

A couple leaks are out there. I know the Sox play 3 home/3 away against the Cubs, and 2 home/2 away vs the Cardinals.

Opening Day is April 6, so that probably means November World Series games.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
According to a Pirates beat writer, the MLB schedule is coming out tomorrow at noon.

A couple leaks are out there. I know the Sox play 3 home/3 away against the Cubs, and 2 home/2 away vs the Cardinals.

I thought they got rid of 3 home and 3 away and do 2/2s or just a 3.

I guess if your forced rival is in the division you are playing, you do 2 series.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
I thought they got rid of 3 home and 3 away and do 2/2s or just a 3.

I guess if your forced rival is in the division you are playing, you do 2 series.

Yeah, when it's East vs East, Central vs Central, West vs West, they play 3 home and away against the "rival".

So it will still be 20 interleague games.

Might look like this:

Cubs 3-3

Cardinals 2-2

Brewers 2-2

Pirates 3 away

Reds 3 home

One of the 2-2's will be played like a four game series.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)

I realize it will never happen, and that we are actually trending in the wrong direction on the calendar, but playoff games, should start by, no later than September 15th, roughly 3 weeks before it's ending now.

The regular season, if they were to keep 162 games, should have almost no day offs, and a few double-headers mixed in.

Playoff games towards the middle to end of October, depending on who is involved is ridiculous to begin with. High temperatures in the day time somewhere in the 50's, night times can be just above freezing if a cold front in in the area, not to mention November weather.

The season is too long, and football is in the blood.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
I realize it will never happen, and that we are actually trending in the wrong direction on the calendar, but playoff games, should start by, no later than September 15th, roughly 3 weeks before it's ending now.

The regular season, if they were to keep 162 games, should have almost no day offs, and a few double-headers mixed in.

Playoff games towards the middle to end of October, depending on who is involved is ridiculous to begin with. High temperatures in the day time somewhere in the 50's, night times can be just above freezing if a cold front in in the area, not to mention November weather.

I'd prefer they just shave 2 weeks off of spring training, move the season up 2 weeks, so every season starts right about at St. Patrick's Day, with the first 2 weeks of games all in warm weather locations. So northern teams wouldn't have their first home opener until early April, but the season would end mid-September.

Yeah, when it's East vs East, Central vs Central, West vs West, they play 3 home and away against the "rival".

So it will still be 20 interleague games.

Might look like this:

Cubs 3-3

Cardinals 2-2

Brewers 2-2

Pirates 3 away

Reds 3 home

One of the 2-2's will be played like a four game series.

I am really hoping for the Reds series to be down here.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
I'd prefer they just shave 2 weeks off of spring training, move the season up 2 weeks, so every season starts right about at St. Patrick's Day, with the first 2 weeks of games all in warm weather locations. So northern teams wouldn't have their first home opener until early April, but the season would end mid-September.

I agree and teams with retractable roofs or domes. So teams can open up at:

Astros

Rangers

Mariners

Blue Jays

Brewers

Rays

Marlins

Padres

A's

Giants

Dodgers

Angels

Diamondbacks

Braves (Atlanta is usually hot at that time right?)

Cardinals (can host games if need be as it isn't so bad down there in March)

In just about every part of the country, average highs in October are higher than average highs in March.

Including playoffs, a baseball season last 31 weeks. The warmest 31 week stretch in most parts of the country is from April 3 through November 5.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)

While I'd love to get rid of a couple weeks of spring training, I don't think teams would be too happy if they had to start every year on a two week road trip and never had a true opening day at home.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
While I'd love to get rid of a couple weeks of spring training, I don't think teams would be too happy if they had to start every year on a two week road trip and never had a true opening day at home.

The other problem is, teams in warm weather or domes also don't want a schedule with a lot of home games in April let alone March. School is still in session.

Unless they start scheduling split DHs, there is really nothing they can do but hope for a mild October, because they cannot shrink the schedule. Too much money involved.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
The other problem is, teams in warm weather or domes also don't want a schedule with a lot of home games in April let alone March. School is still in session.

Unless they start scheduling split DHs, there is really nothing they can do but hope for a mild October, because they cannot shrink the schedule. Too much money involved.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's so frustrating that the idea of shrinking the schedule is such a non-starter. You're right, the profit-driven owner would never even consider it. Fact is though, it would be so much better for the sport in numerous, far-reaching ways.

OK, it's past noon, anybody see a schedule yet?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Not saying you're wrong, but it's so frustrating that the idea of shrinking the schedule is such a non-starter. You're right, the profit-driven owner would never even consider it. Fact is though, it would be so much better for the sport in numerous, far-reaching ways.

It also would greatly affect player stats, both season and career. Perhaps Joey Gallo, in 15 years, hits 400 home runs, but since they took a month off of the seasons, he really could've hit 440. Abreu would've finished this season around .310 with 96 RBIs... etc.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)

Profit driven owners or greedy players/agents for demanding more?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
It also would greatly affect player stats, both season and career. Perhaps Joey Gallo, in 15 years, hits 400 home runs, but since they took a month off of the seasons, he really could've hit 440. Abreu would've finished this season around .310 with 96 RBIs... etc.

Can't speak for all baseball fans, but I am OK with that. Stats have always varied with different eras. The schedule has been different lengths over the history of the sport. Plus factors like ballparks, expansion, PEDs, wars, work stoppages, juiced balls, mound height, expanded playoffs, and rules have always affected stat lines. As long as we can compare players of the same era, and all players are on an even playing field, it's all good. It's even easier these days to compare different eras via the normalized ERA+/OPS+ type stats. So obviously I've never liked the argument "you can't change the season length because it will throw off counting stats." Point is, the game is always evolving.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)

I don't think anybody is advocating taking a full month off of the season. If anything the talks would likely begin with dropping back down to the 154 game schedule like it was until 1961.