Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
I don't see any backtracking in that article?

ChiTribSports ‏@ChiTribSports 3m3 minutes ago

Jerry Angelo to Tribune: 'I was embellishing a point ...That's not what I said.'' http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break....html?track=rss

Rick Morrissey ‏@MorrisseyCST 23m23 minutes ago

Column on Jerry Angelo's explosive statements. He now says they were taken out of context by USA Today. Sure. #Bears http://bit.ly/1rlboAn

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
ChiTribSports ‏@ChiTribSports 3m3 minutes ago

Jerry Angelo to Tribune: 'I was embellishing a point ...That's not what I said.'' http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break....html?track=rss

Rick Morrissey ‏@MorrisseyCST 23m23 minutes ago

Column on Jerry Angelo's explosive statements. He now says they were taken out of context by USA Today. Sure. #Bears http://bit.ly/1rlboAn

So it looks like he's backtracking on the "100's" statement, not the overall sentiment of his admission.

• 1 month later...

Arbitrator reinstates Rice immediately. Rules the evidence does not suggest Rice lied to Goodell during their first meeting early in the year and that consequently the commissioner did not have the authority to punish him a second time. Rice is now free to sign with any team that would take him.

Despite everything else, this is 100% the correct decision. Goodell is the one who screwed up the first time and the arbitrator just hung it on him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
An eligible free agent who is clearly good enough to play not getting signed would bring a collusion lawsuit from the union pretty quickly.

Then there's probably going to be a collusion lawsuit because at least this season no one is going to want to deal with that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
An eligible free agent who is clearly good enough to play not getting signed would bring a collusion lawsuit from the union pretty quickly.

He comes with tons of baggage. He still knocked his now wife out.He also averaged 3.1 yds a carry last year and hasn't played in months. Good luck with that lawsuit.

Edited by Dick Allen

Proving collusion in his case seems pretty tough. Terrible last year, lots of miles, legal problems. That alone right there is enough for any team to say thanks but no thanks, I don't see how they could prove all teams decided collectively to not sign him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
Proving collusion in his case seems pretty tough. Terrible last year, lots of miles, legal problems. That alone right there is enough for any team to say thanks but no thanks, I don't see how they could prove all teams decided collectively to not sign him

If someone had a severe injury and were right on the bubble maybe this year they risk it, but i'd guess someone will give him a shot next June if he has good workouts, and frankly that's fair.

It's late enough in the season he may have a hard time proving collusion if he isn't signed yet this year, but if he isn't on a roster fairly early in the offseason it's going to become an issue.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
The team that signs him will have to deal with the controversy, the protests, and all the distractions. He's just not worth it now, and won't be next season.

People have short memories. If Michael Vick has been in the league for several years, I'm sure Ray Rice will be fine with little distractions after serving his time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
People have short memories. If Michael Vick has been in the league for several years, I'm sure Ray Rice will be fine with little distractions after serving his time.

He plead down to some sort of counseling or something like that. There's no jail time.

I think the difference here is that Vick did actually serve time and was out of the league for several years after all of that stuff came out, whereas Rice is really only a few months removed from the release of the video. There was time for it to blow over and for a lot of people to move on. Plus, Rice was less-than-stellar last year at a position that's becoming less and less important in the game, so the risk/reward isn't as high as it was with Vick.

I believe there is a huge difference between the victims in these two cases. Women buy tickets to games, watch games, and buy NFL merchandise at a much higher rate than dogs. Also, dogs are man's best friend, your dog will still love you if you watch Vick, I'm not so certain women would be as forgiving if you start cheering Rice.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Vick also had some game left in him, and a lot of people doubt that Rice can still be the explosive back that he used to be.

Absolutely. If Ray Rice were still good, there's not a doubt in my mind that someone would sign him for the stretch run.