Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
So a 10 game suspension is enough for "accidentally" killing someone, but Ray Rice should be suspended a year or more for hitting a woman?

It was 10 games and time in jail. He committed the crime and did his time and I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed back in the league.

And i'm not on board with the crazy Ray Rice stuff either. 2 games wasn't enough, a year long ban seems to be too much. 8-10 games sounds about right.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
I don't see how this video changes everything. We already knew Rice knocked her out, to have some new reactions is childish. The suspension was sickeningly short before, and it remains sickenly short now.

Exactly. Not sure what people expected. Oh my God he hit her???

And the Ravens should be ashamed of themselves in the way they've handled this as well.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Listen, I get the point, but it's a moronic one. He (and others) are saying that while typing on computers/phones that are manufactured by poor children. Wetzel et al. clearly hate all children.

Child labor isn't really an issue in the tech industry, it's more of putting workers in horrible conditions and over-working the hell out of them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Child labor isn't really an issue in the tech industry, it's more of putting workers in horrible conditions and over-working the hell out of them.

It's getting better, but it's still a problem:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013...d-labour-supply

http://www.thenation.com/blog/180612/did-c...our-smart-phone

Point is, it's ridiculous to argue that buying/using/supporting product X means you condone other things related to it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Rice got cut

Wow. I guess that's an appropriate response.

But if they truly cared about this issue so much, this should have been the case months ago.

People knew he hit his wife and knocked her out. Getting the visual is much different than just hearing about it, but I think most people knew the gist.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Wow, what an overreaction. But I don't feel bad for the guy. They have to pay out the remainder of his contract right?

It's only an overreaction because they did it 4 months after the initial incident and after the video came out.

I'd say he deserved to get cut to begin with.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Overreaction? You are the only person I've heard say this today.

Again, let's put this thing into perspective. First time offender in the league (as far as I can recall) and it was domestic battery, not murder or selling drugs or whatever other crimes have been committed by hundreds of NFL players without the same response.

And it's an extreme overreaction from the Ravens given that they just supported the guy for the last month. Talk about bowing to public pressure advantageously. They get to pretend like they did the right thing here, even though the pretext is "he mislead us." From what exactly? What did the video show that they didn't already know?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Would you keep your job if your bosses got ahold of a tape of you punching your financee in the face and knocking her out?

I'm sure it's more likely than not that I would be fired, but I don't think that it would be an immediate, no thinking required kind of decision.

But comparing the NFL to any other employer is comparing apples and oranges. I'd be fired for using drugs too. Most people would. So should NFL players be cut for that?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
I'm sure it's more likely than not that I would be fired, but I don't think that it would be an immediate, no thinking required kind of decision.

But comparing the NFL to any other employer is comparing apples and oranges. I'd be fired for using drugs too. Most people would. So should NFL players be cut for that?

They've had plenty of time to think about it. This is far from immediate.