9/9 vs Oakland A's

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
Most mental and physical errors I have ever seen in a Sox game. Absolutely unacceptable

Getting rid of DeAza, Beckham and presumably Viciedo was supposed to correct this....Dunn, Keppinger, etc.

Seems it's only getting worse and comparable to the darkest/bleakest moments of 2013's abysmal finish.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:12 AM)
The September call-ups have been awful. Goes to show you how bad the talent in the high minors is/was for the Sox

Very sad how badly they've looked. Looks like Micah gets second base and Sox must keep Lexi for some time to come, which is fine. Lexi is a good player. Gillaspie gets third again next year, which is OK. He deserves another full season after hitting .300. Semien certainly has done nothing; Sanchez OK but blah and Taylor, yuck.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
I hope Micah is as good as Hawk says. Is he? He'll be ready next April, right??

I know he made a boneheaded mistake today, but Sanchez hasn't been that bad this year...And he just turned 22 a few months ago. Even if Micah isn't ready he seems like a capable stop gap.

And Semien, though I'm not as high on him as others here, fits that same bill as well.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 03:52 AM)
I know he made a boneheaded mistake today, but Sanchez hasn't been that bad this year...And he just turned 22 a few months ago. Even if Micah isn't ready he seems like a capable stop gap.

And Semien, though I'm not as high on him as others here, fits that same bill as well.

Hope you are right. I'm just thinking Semien has looked pretty pedestrian. Hopefully Sanchez is good. I want players who excel and Hawk got me excited about Micah.

There was a Pirates scout at the game tonight. I really don't know why, it could be for Oakland, but maybe they are looking at acquiring Sox players. I hope he wasn't looking at Semien tonight.White Sox batters averages in the 9th tonight:

Dunn could have mowed them down.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 06:04 AM)
And to think, everyone couldn't figure out why Hahn hadn't made room for these guys already, and people were looking forward to this. Welcome to letting the kids play. It ain't pretty.

A LOT prettier when it's Durham, Konerko, Magglio, Foulke, Howry, Chris Singleton, C-Lee, Rowand, Crede, etc.

Of course, we went through some hiccups too, like Mike Caruso/Mark Johnson/Chris Snopek/Greg Norton/Jeff Abbott.

Most of our current position player prospects are "fringy" compared to that list, at best.

It's no secret the depth our system fell to...other than Rodon, Adams, Anderson, Hawkins, Montas and Danish, there's not a whole lot to be SUPER excited about now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
A LOT prettier when it's Durham, Konerko, Magglio, Foulke, Howry, Chris Singleton, C-Lee, Rowand, Crede, etc.

Of course, we went through some hiccups too, like Mike Caruso/Mark Johnson/Chris Snopek/Greg Norton/Jeff Abbott.

Most of our current position player prospects are "fringy" compared to that list, at best.

It's no secret the depth our system fell to...other than Rodon, Adams, Anderson, Hawkins, Montas and Danish, there's not a whole lot to be SUPER excited about now.

Why was that so much prettier? The 1999 Kids can Play White Sox won only 75 games, that's 3 more than this team is on pace for. They were below average on defense and although it doesn't mean as much as we thought at the time had the 4th worst fielding percentage and 5th most errors in the league.

Somehow I think you're saying it was ok back then by lumping together people who came up over a 5 year period and had success while ignoring all the guys who didn't and then forgetting how poor the season actually was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 06:04 AM)
And to think, everyone couldn't figure out why Hahn hadn't made room for these guys already, and people were looking forward to this. Welcome to letting the kids play. It ain't pretty.

Gamethread hyperbole carryover a little? Where's the patience? Kids are going to look bad early. Wins are meaningless or potentially detrimental anyway. Who gives a damn if it's ugly, really?

The prospects in question have all demonstrated that they've required adjustment periods, of various, sometimes significant lengths, and folks are judging on sample sizes constituting a tiny fraction of those periods. Semien, at a minimum, has demonstrated enough high-end OBP skill in the upper minors to deserve some patience. His defense was also much better in the minors. Seems pretty clear to me that the kid needs to clear some mental hurdles.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen