Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child

MurcieOne

Peterson has retained Rusty Hardin as his lawyer. So there should be quite a bunch ignorance in our future

But Peterson's lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said the "charged conduct involves using a switch to spank his son" -- explaining that his client did so while doling out discipline much like "he experienced as a child growing up in east Texas."

"Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury," Hardin said, describing Peterson as a loving father.

Peterson "will continue to insist on his innocence of any intended wrongdoing," the lawyer said.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got spanked a few times growing up but it was never more than a 2-3 hits to my butt. I've seen kids today act so crazy where their only fear of punishment is going to their room so I'm not against a parent using a spanking or atleast a fear of a spanking to get their kids in line. But when you need to use a belt or a switch to hit a kid with and then need to leave close to a dozen markings on him then you've crossed the line of discipline and moved into abuse.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
Yea usually I'm very pro spanking, but at 4 years old?! That is just awful and this comming from someone who was spanked alot. My parents found anything they could find to spank me when I was bad at the time. :lol: I was older than 4 freaking years old though.

I think the other thing is, it's not like he has a close relationship with this child. The kid called him Daddy Peterson...the only contributions he's really making to the kids life are sperm, financial, and pain...

If this kid lived with Peterson I'd be a little more understanding.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
was the kid acting annoying?

Not everyone is as brilliant as you. He grew up probably receiving the same kind of punishment. I'm not excusing that behavior, but I do think this is cultural behavior. If you read his texts, he honestly didn't believe what he did was wrong, only that he took it too far.

There is another America out there other than white hipster land.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
Not everyone is as brilliant as you. He grew up probably receiving the same kind of punishment. I'm not excusing that behavior, but I do think this is cultural behavior. If you read his texts, he honestly didn't believe what he did was wrong, only that he took it too far.

There is another America out there other than white hipster land.

Yeah, and white or black, opening up multiple wounds on a four year old is unacceptable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 05:00 AM)
Yeah, and white or black, opening up multiple wounds on a four year old is unacceptable.

Yes, AP is in a heap of trouble I'd guess. Those pictures are horrifying. Those cuts sting like hell I bet. And to a poor 4 year old? Geezus. Glad AP got caught. I can't imagine him playing the rest of the season.

I think we all need to learn to accept that this whole thing is gonna be really f***ed up for a while. There is no process to follow, there is no rules, so everyone is playing by ear. The good players will play until the NFL suspends them.

Rick Spielman just had one of the worst press conferences a GM could have had. He basically said "child abuse is bad. Losing is worse. We will wait on it"

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
How does the nfl f*** up this badly? How could they be so dumb after the Ray Rice situation.

I just think you're asking them to do something they are just not quite equipped to do yet. They aren't in an ideal position to be evaluating these things...that is what the criminal justice system is generally for.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
I think we all need to learn to accept that this whole thing is gonna be really f***ed up for a while. There is no process to follow, there is no rules, so everyone is playing by ear. The good players will play until the NFL suspends them.

Rick Spielman just had one of the worst press conferences a GM could have had. He basically said "child abuse is bad. Losing is worse. We will wait on it"

He should have released the same exact statement that Jed York did. I thought that was perfectly written.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
I just think you're asking them to do something they are just not quite equipped to do yet. They aren't in an ideal position to be evaluating these things...that is what the criminal justice system is generally for.

NFL player conduct policy in no way has to abide by the criminal justice system. In this case, it's not a question of what happened. There are pictures as well as an admission of guilt. The nfl recently released a new domestic abuse policy. This isn't that, but close enough where you should apply that as the bare minimum here. How the nfl let that press conference go is just amazing. They never do learn.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
NFL player conduct policy in no way has to abide by the criminal justice system. In this case, it's not a question of what happened. There are pictures as well as an admission of guilt. The nfl recently released a new domestic abuse policy. This isn't that, but close enough where you should apply that as the bare minimum here. How the nfl let that press conference go is just amazing. They never do learn.

It isn't quite that simple...an admission of guilt to what? Being a bad father? Balta just posted an article showing a Texas jury probably wouldn't convict him. So now we are suspending star players without due process, with some then being acquitted? You think that is a good road to go down if you're in charge of the league right now? That's just a mess. Especially since the Commissioner alone is in charge of handing out the suspensions currently?

They need to get league wide policies out there which lay out the penalties, then administer them consistently. They need to educate and promote awareness (which they are in the process of doing now).

It's not as simple as just suspending guys left and right arbitrarily, especially when the media is going to be digging up arrest records like nobody's business.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
It isn't quite that simple...an admission of guilt to what? Being a bad father? Balta just posted an article showing a Texas jury probably wouldn't convict him. So now we are suspending star players without due process, with some then being acquitted? You think that is a good road to go down if you're in charge of the league right now? That's just a mess. Especially since the Commissioner alone is in charge of handing out the suspensions currently?

They need to get league wide policies out there which lay out the penalties, then administer them consistently. They need to educate and promote awareness (which they are in the process of doing now).

It's not as simple as just suspending guys left and right arbitrarily, especially when the media is going to be digging up arrest records like nobody's business.

I mean, Ray Rice was just suspended without being arrested or charged with anything, merely based on video of him doing something we already knew he did.

I am torn here, I understand due process, but is Adrian Peterson only to be suspended by the NFL if a court finds him guilty(which looks iffy at best)? Even though we all know and he admitted to beating his kid? I find that strange

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
I mean, Ray Rice was just suspended without being arrested or charged with anything, merely based on video of him doing something we already knew he did.

Yeah, and it took a video of him knocking the s*** out of her in an elevator to make them yield to public pressure.

I mentioned then it was not a good precedent to set and it wasn't. So now what do we have? Pictures of wounds a father inflicted on his child. Now all the sudden the NFL has to decide whether they want to enter the arena of telling parents how to discipline their children, when the United States as a whole has resisted entering that arena for the last 40 years, basically.

You think Goodell is sitting there thinking, I can't wait to see what other pictures and videos show up of my star players breaking the law...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)

Once again, the criminal justice system is completely irrelevant here and can be to the nfl player conduct policy. Stop bringing it up.

Adrian Peterson admitted to abusing his 4 year old child. There is photographs of said abuse. Yes, it is setting the precedent where if you abuse children you risk suspension from the nfl. It's not a bad precedent to set in the least bit.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)

I am torn here, I understand due process, but is Adrian Peterson only to be suspended by the NFL if a court finds him guilty(which looks iffy at best)? Even though we all know and he admitted to beating his kid? I find that strange

I understand the point...but you have to see the road you're going down when you make that decision, especially considering the background and education of many NFL players. Let's face it, many of these guys come from broken families, grew up poor, were around drugs/alcohol/all kinds of abuse. They have been under-educated in many cases, and now we're going to throw them millions of dollars! And they are 23.

It just puts the league in a very difficult position of having to become experts at evaluating all these actions, and weighing them against the economics of the league, being fair to all the teams, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Yeah, and it took a video of him knocking the s*** out of her in an elevator to make them yield to public pressure.

I mentioned then it was not a good precedent to set and it wasn't. So now what do we have? Pictures of wounds a father inflicted on his child. Now all the sudden the NFL has to decide whether they want to enter the arena of telling parents how to discipline their children, when the United States as a whole has resisted entering that arena for the last 40 years, basically.

You think Goodell is sitting there thinking, I can't wait to see what other pictures and videos show up of my star players breaking the law...

He was suspended before the video came out, he was suspended MORE after it came out

Should they get it right and put him on suspension before the pic of a 4 year old with a black eye comes out? I really could care less what Goodell is worried about. This is his job, pull up your boots and earn your 40 mil per year