Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child

MurcieOne

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
Once again, the criminal justice system is completely irrelevant here and can be to the nfl player conduct policy. Stop bringing it up.

Adrian Peterson admitted to abusing his 4 year old child. There is photographs of said abuse. Yes, it is setting the precedent where if you abuse children you risk suspension from the nfl. It's not a bad precedent to set in the least bit.

Is your employer equipped to truly evaluate the lawfulness of its employees once they have been hired? I highly doubt it. They fall back almost entirely on the criminal justice system to do that, other than vague personal conduct policies which they already struggle to enforce with any sort of consistency.

It's a very valid point despite you being unable to recognize that.

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
He was suspended before the video came out, he was suspended MORE after it came out

Should they get it right and put him on suspension before the pic of a 4 year old with a black eye comes out? I really could care less what Goodell is worried about. This is his job, pull up your boots and earn your 40 mil per year

He was suspended for 2 games. Now he's been released from his team and indefinitely suspended. If you think the two actions are really that similar in matters of degree, well, I'm simply going to have to disagree with you there.

I know the vast majority of fans are sitting here thinking, how incredibly stupid could the league be? But in my opinion it is just a tad more complex than you guys are recognizing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
Is your employed equipped to truly evaluate the lawfulness of its employees once they have been hired? I highly doubt it. They fall back almost entirely on the criminal justice system to do that, other than vague personal conduct policies which they already struggle to enforce with any sort of consistency.

It's a very valid point despite you being unable to recognize that.

Again, no it's not. The nfl literally employs people to evaluate these things. That's their sole job. And yes, if my company gets hold of pictures of my child being abused with an admission from me of what I have done, I'm getting fired.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
I understand the point...but you have to see the road you're going down when you make that decision, especially considering the background and education of many NFL players. Let's face it, many of these guys come from broken families, grew up poor, were around drugs/alcohol/all kinds of abuse. They have been under-educated in many cases, and now we're going to throw them millions of dollars! And they are 23.

It just puts the league in a very difficult position of having to become experts at evaluating all these actions, and weighing them against the economics of the league, being fair to all the teams, etc.

I don't see why it's a bad thing if the NFL comes down hard on violent, anti-social conduct. If the NFL comes down hard on Ray Rice for DV, and AP for child abuse, then that should make the rational NFL player think twice before beating his kid until they bleed with a switch, or tossing their girlfriend on a pile of guns or whatever. No matter the upbringing or education of these guys, if they understand certain behaviors have zero tolerance at the risk of losing checks and future employment, these incidents should go down. And if the player is talented enough and contrite (see, by all accounts, Brandon Marshall), they will get additional opportunities... and maybe shed some light on other issues (see, again, Brandon Marshall and mental health).

The AP case is actually very analogous to Ray Rice. AP might not be convicted in Texas, but there is no dispute that he hit his kid with a switch until the 4 year old bled. The pictures look bad, it sounds bad, and if a videotape came out of the beating, it would look even worse. So this is a lot like Ray Rice.

What the NFL should not, and cannot, do is be inconsistent. The NFL needs to come up with a policy to deal with cases like AP, Hardy, Rice, and McDonald in a consistent manner. Whatever that might look like.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
Again, no it's not. The nfl literally employs people to evaluate these things. That's their sole job. And yes, if my company gets hold of pictures of my child being abused with an admission from me of what I have done, I'm getting fired.

The NFL is scrambling like a motherf***er to HIRE these people as we speak.

And guess what? Your company knows the chances of anyone giving a s*** about their run of the mill employees is remote; what they might be prepared for is a situation like that for your CEO or top executives, and they likely aren't prepared for that either. Why? Because it doesn't happen.

If every company was expected to start playing this role with all their employees, it would be a hell of a lot more difficult to run a successful company.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
He was suspended for 2 games. Now he's been released from his team and indefinitely suspended. If you think the two actions are really that similar in matters of degree, well, I'm simply going to have to disagree with you there.

I know the vast majority of fans are sitting here thinking, how incredibly stupid could the league be? But in my opinion it is just a tad more complex than you guys are recognizing.

I didn't say they were similar punishments at all, I merely pointed out that the NFL did actually take action against Ray Rice with no charges filed, whereas now they are hiding behind due process for Hardy and AP and McDonald. And I never said the second punishments for rice were the correct courses of action, I think it was a massive and incorrect overcorrection after they had the video rubbed in their noses.

I understand I am not a lawyer like you shack, but I can see there are differences. It just seems to me that the NFL is creating hypocrisies on the situations presented, one after another after another. At some point daddy Goodell has to step in and get a handle on this s***

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
I don't see why it's a bad thing if the NFL comes down hard on violent, anti-social conduct. If the NFL comes down hard on Ray Rice for DV, and AP for child abuse, then that should make the rational NFL player think twice before beating his kid until they bleed with a switch, or tossing their girlfriend on a pile of guns or whatever. No matter the upbringing or education of these guys, if they understand certain behaviors have zero tolerance at the risk of losing checks and future employment, these incidents should go down. And if the player is talented enough and contrite (see, by all accounts, Brandon Marshall), they will get additional opportunities... and maybe shed some light on other issues (see, again, Brandon Marshall and mental health).

The AP case is actually very analogous to Ray Rice. AP might not be convicted in Texas, but there is no dispute that he hit his kid with a switch until the 4 year old bled. The pictures look bad, it sounds bad, and if a videotape came out of the beating, it would look even worse. So this is a lot like Ray Rice.

What the NFL should not, and cannot, do is be inconsistent. The NFL needs to come up with a policy to deal with cases like AP, Hardy, Rice, and McDonald in a consistent manner. Whatever that might look like.

I don't disagree with you.

What the NFL is scrambling to do is to hire and contract with experts who will put them in a better position to create policies and protocols for dealing with these things consistently. But the speed at which this stuff is unfolding is making things a bit difficult in the meantime.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I didn't say they were similar punishments at all, I merely pointed out that the NFL did actually take action against Ray Rice with no charges filed, whereas now they are hiding behind due process for Hardy and AP and McDonald. And I never said the second punishments for rice were the correct courses of action, I think it was a massive and incorrect overcorrection after they had the video rubbed in their noses.

I understand I am not a lawyer like you shack, but I can see there are differences. It just seems to me that the NFL is creating hypocrisies on the situations presented, one after another after another. At some point daddy Goodell has to step in and get a handle on this s***

Part of the reason they are creating hypocrisies is because there is a lack of policies and protocols, which causes them to act arbitrarily. They've acted arbitrarily because they don't have experts on staff that can advise them correctly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
I don't disagree with you.

What the NFL is scrambling to do is to hire and contract with experts who will put them in a better position to create policies and protocols for dealing with these things consistently. But the speed at which this stuff is unfolding is making things a bit difficult in the meantime.

They do already have people in place. It's also not unfolding quickly in the least bit. They've had years...and years...and years of similar situations that they've failed to do anything about.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
They do already have people in place. It's also not unfolding quickly in the least bit. They've had years...and years...and years of similar situations that they've failed to do anything about.

I'm sorry, but all evidence suggests you are incorrect. Look at the policies and other statements they've made over the past several weeks...creating new positions, promoting people to new positions, etc.

Did you read the Domestic Violence policy they put out a few weeks ago?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
I'm sorry, but all evidence suggests you are incorrect. Look at the policies and other statements they've made over the past several weeks...creating new positions, promoting people to new positions, etc.

Did you read the Domestic Violence policy they put out a few weeks ago?

A) they have people in place to investigate the conduct of their players. B) they've had a long history of dealing with said situations and should have been better prepared to deal with them.

That was my point. None of it is incorrect. I'm not sure why you think it could possibly disagree with me. I don't think anyone would.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
A) they have people in place to investigate the conduct of their players. B) they've had a long history of dealing with said situations and should have been better prepared to deal with them.

That was my point. None of it is incorrect. I'm not sure why you think it could possibly disagree with me. I don't think anyone would.

It's easier to say they should have been better prepared; generally, one can say that about anything that goes wrong. What they obviously we're not prepared for is a video of a star player knocking his wife out

They have had a long history of arbitrarily ruling on drug suspensions and a few higher profile instances (Ben Rothlesberger). So they put mandatory penalties in the CBA. Then Josh Gordon happens. Then Ray Rice happens. All the sudden we've got a heavy-handed, but CBA-required suspension juxtaposed against a plead-out domestic violence arrest with a non-cooperative fiancée who has since become wife. Well s***, how many DV charges do we get a year? 40? 50? Give him a few games. Then the juxtaposition of pothead gets 16 games versus wifebeater gets two games enrages the public...well guess what, folks? Repeat drug offenders in this country get longer jail terms than rapists and murderers sometimes. The NFL is merely following the criminal justice standards.

Then the video gets released...oh s***! We better act swiftly! Damage control, damage control...get the hell away from this guy!

Well, we see how well that worked. Now we're just arbitrarily acting out of emotion and bowing to public pressure. Rice appeals. Who the hell decided this? On what basis? According to what policy or protocols?

Now AP is beating one of his 25 kids out of wedlock with sticks reminiscent of Georgia, circa 1830. How many games does HE get? How will the public react? Should he get indefinitely suspended, only to have him sign with the Bengals next year after the memory fades? I'm sure that would go over well in Minnesota!

The entire thing is a mess right now and it's very complex.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
Rotoworld estimates 12. 5 with women he's still in contact with and 7 more bastards with other randoms.

Peterson is a piece of s***.

That is one stupid MFer. Kids by a dozen different women? You'd think someone would fill him in on a solution for that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)
It's easier to say they should have been better prepared; generally, one can say that about anything that goes wrong. What they obviously we're not prepared for is a video of a star player knocking his wife out

They have had a long history of arbitrarily ruling on drug suspensions and a few higher profile instances (Ben Rothlesberger). So they put mandatory penalties in the CBA. Then Josh Gordon happens. Then Ray Rice happens. All the sudden we've got a heavy-handed, but CBA-required suspension juxtaposed against a plead-out domestic violence arrest with a non-cooperative fiancée who has since become wife. Well s***, how many DV charges do we get a year? 40? 50? Give him a few games. Then the juxtaposition of pothead gets 16 games versus wifebeater gets two games enrages the public...well guess what, folks? Repeat drug offenders in this country get longer jail terms than rapists and murderers sometimes. The NFL is merely following the criminal justice standards.

Then the video gets released...oh s***! We better act swiftly! Damage control, damage control...get the hell away from this guy!

Well, we see how well that worked. Now we're just arbitrarily acting out of emotion and bowing to public pressure. Rice appeals. Who the hell decided this? On what basis? According to what policy or protocols?

Now AP is beating one of his 25 kids out of wedlock with sticks reminiscent of Georgia, circa 1830. How many games does HE get? How will the public react? Should he get indefinitely suspended, only to have him sign with the Bengals next year after the memory fades? I'm sure that would go over well in Minnesota!

The entire thing is a mess right now and it's very complex.

Let's just put it this way, other than Goodell himself, there's a reason you might be the only person on this planet trying to justify or rationalize how the nfl has responded to these situations. It's been just awful across the board. Actually I shouldn't include Goodell in there because he's admitted as such.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood