9/16 at KC Royals

flavum

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 04:50 AM)
Yeah he's completely overmatched in absolutely every respect. The talent level is not there at all. Having never seen him I was hoping maybe he'd bet a Gload type... hell no.

That said, it's a nice message the org is sending to the other players in the minors, kind of a much smaller version of what the Twins did with Colabello (sp?) making the team out of ST and playing everyday for them. He'll be taken off the 40 after the season so the spot doesn't really matter, but the message is definitely cool.

Oh but that said I bet Buddy Bell thinks that one day he's going to be really awesome.

I had a bad feeling the day Bell got all that responsibility. Not impressed with BB.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
Regardless of his performance tonight, how is three starts enough to determine if anyone is a decent pitcher?

*start*

And it was a comment in regards to last week when people were so high on Bassitt after he dominated the A's. I told them temper their excitement until he faces some real teams like KC and Detroit, not the Oakland A's who can't hit out of a paper bag right now.

Jeesh, a lot of people sure hate Andy Wilkins now. He's had like what, 30 PA in the majors? The one good thing I've noticed from him is that I have yet to see him swing wildly at a pitch way out of the zone. I've seen Phegley do that a lot already. I'm sure there is a statistic tracking this, but I would bet almost half of Wilkins strikeouts have been looking. He takes a ton of close pitches, and they never seem to go his way. Yes, he swings and misses a lot, but I'm not going to sit here and s*** on him this hard after like 30 PA when he had the kind of season he did in AAA. He gets a little longer leash from me.

In fact, here is something pretty interesting with Wilkins in his very very very small sample size. His plate discipline rates match up very closely with one of the best hitters in baseball this year...Jose Abreu.

% of pitches OUTSIDE of the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 35.1%

Abreu - 41.2%

% of pitches INSIDE the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 76.5%

Abreu - 73.4%

The big difference between the two players is really when it comes to actually making CONTACT with those pitches.

Contact % of pitches OUTSIDE of the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 45%

Abreu - 55.2%

Contact % of pitches INSIDE of the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 76.9%

Abreu - 87.8%

This isn't really to prove anything other than Wilkins and Abreu have similar plate disciplines, Abreu just happens to have far superior contact skills. Look at a guy like Josh Phegley, and he swings at nearly 78% of the pitches he gets outside of the zone, and only swings at 55% of the pitches that are thrown inside the strike zone. He has no idea where the pitches are in relation to the zone, he just happens to make more contact than Wilkins.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
Wilkins is going to be a guy you forget in about two years.

"Oh yeah, that guy that came up after Dunn was traded."

It was mere weeks ago we were supposed to be trading guys to make room for him.

There is always the possibility that the Sox management knows what they are doing? Nah.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 12:49 AM)
In fact, here is something pretty interesting with Wilkins in his very very very small sample size. His plate discipline rates match up very closely with one of the best hitters in baseball this year...Jose Abreu.

% of pitches OUTSIDE of the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 35.1%

Abreu - 41.2%

% of pitches INSIDE the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 76.5%

Abreu - 73.4%

The big difference between the two players is really when it comes to actually making CONTACT with those pitches.

Contact % of pitches OUTSIDE of the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 45%

Abreu - 55.2%

Contact % of pitches INSIDE of the zone that a hitter has swung at

Wilkins - 76.9%

Abreu - 87.8%

This isn't really to prove anything other than Wilkins and Abreu have similar plate disciplines, Abreu just happens to have far superior contact skills. Look at a guy like Josh Phegley, and he swings at nearly 78% of the pitches he gets outside of the zone, and only swings at 55% of the pitches that are thrown inside the strike zone. He has no idea where the pitches are in relation to the zone, he just happens to make more contact than Wilkins.

All of that for what?

To tell us that Abreu is a much better hitter than Wilkins? Uh, ok. I think we all got that.

RE: Wilkins lots of guys struggle when they first come up but he has looked completely overmatched. Had he done well, we would have said maybe we have something here but he hasn't. I would not plan on him contributing but I would not take him of the 40. Spring training and his next time in the majors(if he has one) will be key.