Sept 23 game thread vs Detroit

southsider2k5

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:27 AM)
Because our manager is a bonehead.

Don't know why this angers me so much. I guess he was trying to establish Petricka as somebody special the final week of the season. Not gonna happen. Our bullpen has no special pitchers.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:32 AM)
Ventura has no feel for his bullpen.

Ventura should be spreading the action anyway in the waning days of the season. Petricka pitched 1.1 last night as it is.

I might be mistaken, but I truly think he was trying to establish Petricka as something besides an ordinary arm. As good as he was last night, he was that bad tonight. He had nothing at all. I hate Detroit so much. Hopefully Sale can make it two out of three vs. Detroit. I'm guessing he pitches pretty well but Detroit manages to win the game. Bastards.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:33 AM)
C'mon fellas, Petricka, just like most every other bullpen arm in the big leagues, has pitched back to back games many a times. This isn't some "bonehead" Robin move.

Good points. I'm just saying Petricka isn't anything special and it's going to the well too often. It probably doesn't matter. I can't name a pitcher on our team who I think would have gotten out of the ninth. I'm lamenting Petricka's ordinary-ness more than Robin being a buffoon. Though I would have preferred Robin try somebody else tonight.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
It was a perfect pitcher's pitch with the cut he took IMO. He got the high fastball and stroked it right to center. I'd have preferred a more slappy type approach.

Perfect pitchers pitch ? It was center cut just a bit up in the zone. A pitch that you can drive . Sure maybe you might want him to work the count after Conor's walk but Nathan was being careful with Conor and would rather have faced Sanchez. 1st pitch being a fastball was practically 100% guaranteed . If you know that it's coming you jump on it you don't slap at it. He jumped on it just didn't get the result. Slap hitting is for when you're down in the count just trying to stay alive.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:34 AM)
If you told me before the season that Scott Carroll would get 126 major league innings this season, I would have thought the Sox lost 100.

He did pretty well this season.

He definitely earned his big-league paycheck, however much money that is. I can't fault him. He gets the most out of his limited ability; that is for sure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
Don't know why this angers me so much. I guess he was trying to establish Petricka as somebody special the final week of the season. Not gonna happen. Our bullpen has no special pitchers.

The fact that we have a bonehead for a manager should anger every Sox fan. Take the 30 games we have lost this year solely because of him and convert them to wins. Do this and we would have clinched 10 days ago instead of playing spoiler at this point in the season.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:36 AM)
Perfect pitchers pitch ? It was center cut just a bit up in the zone. A pitch that you can drive . Sure maybe you might want him to work the count after Conor's walk but Nathan was being careful with Conor and would rather have faced Sanchez. 1st pitch being a fastball was practically 100% guaranteed . If you know that it's coming you jump on it you don't slap at it. He jumped on it just didn't get the result. Slap hitting is for when you're down in the count just trying to stay alive.

I don't think that was a pitch he was capable of driving. I accept your point, however. I was hoping Sanchez would slash or bloop a single to left. I have no idea how often he's been going that way. I thought it was a lousy offering by Sanchez. But the odds were slim we were gonna overcome a 3-0 deficit against a division winner tonight.

Once again, Sox defense shows it is a huge problem moving forward.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:39 AM)
The fact that we have a bonehead for a manager should anger every Sox fan. Take the 30 games we have lost this year solely because of him and convert them to wins. Do this and we would have clinched 10 days ago instead of playing spoiler at this point in the season.

Fair point again.

But seriously, what pitcher do you think could have held the Tigers in the ninth? I didn't like seeing Petricka trot out there after excelling last night, but again, who should Robin have gone to that would have most definitely mowed down the Tigers?

I hope Hahn realizes the bullpen has been bad from start to finish this year. Occasional highlights from them, but nobody has looked like a prime prospect in the pen.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)

:lol:

I know you're trollin but c'mon man...At least try and make your trollin a little realistic. A 100+ win team with a 3-4-5 of Danks-Noesi/Carroll/EJ/Rienzo/Paulino and this bullpen??!! Lmao....I'm only responding because I'm slightly intoxicated.

andddddd Greg said it was a fair point??!! Dios mio.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:46 AM)
You guys are complaining about meaningless games.

True, but it'd be nice to see some progress on defense. That's not happening.

Also some progress in the bullpen. Not happening. It doesn't bode well for next season. I'm sick of the Sox being doormats.

Hawk laughed at Avi when that ball rocked off his kneecap in right. And Semien looked like a bad Little Leaguer on the error. He has no instincts at all at 3B.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
Fair point again.

But seriously, what pitcher do you think could have held the Tigers in the ninth? I didn't like seeing Petricka trot out there after excelling last night, but again, who should Robin have gone to that would have most definitely mowed down the Tigers?

I hope Hahn realizes the bullpen has been bad from start to finish this year. Occasional highlights from them, but nobody has looked like a prime prospect in the pen.

I would have taken my chances with Snodgrass tonight over Petricka. After pitching more than 1 inning, Petricka has not come back a single time this year without rest where he has been effective. He's given up at least one run in this situation every time. The manager has to know his staff and know that this move was stupid tonight.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:51 AM)
I would have taken my chances with Snodgrass tonight over Petricka. After pitching more than 1 inning, Petricka has not come back a single time this year without rest where he has been effective. He's given up at least one run in this situation every time. The manager has to know his staff and know that this move was stupid tonight.

Didn't they have righties coming up? I forget now. But good righties? He'd have probably been walked off with a dinger. Petricka had no chance, though. He didn't record an out, did he? He was the worst possible choice tonight as it turned out.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)

The troll is weak in this one....

Sept. 10 1 IP no hits 0 runs

Sept. 11 1 IP 1 hit 0 runs

Aug. 30 1 IP 1 hit 0 runs

Aug 31 1 IP no hits 0 runs

Aug 19 1 IP no hits 0 runs

Aug 20 1 IP 1 hit 0 runs

July 5 1/3 IP no hits no runs

July 6 2 IP no hits no runs

Jun 24 1IP no hits no runs

Jun 25 2 IP 1 hit no runs

May 26 1 IP no hits no runs

May 27 2 IP 1 hit no runs

May 19 2/3 IP no runs no hits

May 20 1 IP no hits no runs

May 21 2/3 IP no runs no hits

April 29 1IP no runs no hits

April 30 2.1 IP no runs no hits

And really you say Snodgress??? You're not even a good troll.

Actually I take that back youre a great troll because here I am feeding you.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
The troll is weak in this one....

Sept. 10 1 IP no hits 0 runs

Sept. 11 1 IP 1 hit 0 runs

Aug. 30 1 IP 1 hit 0 runs

Aug 31 1 IP no hits 0 runs

Aug 19 1 IP no hits 0 runs

Aug 20 1 IP 1 hit 0 runs

July 5 1/3 IP no hits no runs

July 6 2 IP no hits no runs

Jun 24 1IP no hits no runs

Jun 25 2 IP 1 hit no runs

May 26 1 IP no hits no runs

May 27 2 IP 1 hit no runs

May 19 2/3 IP no runs no hits

May 20 1 IP no hits no runs

May 21 2/3 IP no runs no hits

April 29 1IP no runs no hits

April 30 2.1 IP no runs no hits

He pitched one inning in the first appearance every case. My facts never lie. He has never come back all season without rest after pitching more than 1 inning and had success.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
He pitched one inning in the first appearance every case. My facts never lie. He has never come back all season without rest after pitching more than 1 inning and had success.

Ha now you add that caveat ......With that added caveat you're right but it also only happened 1 damn time so it's not like there's a trend there for RV to go off of....You're still bein ridiculous.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Ha now you add that caveat ......With that added caveat you're right but it also only happened 1 damn time so it's not like there's a trend there for RV to go off of....You're still bein ridiculous.

What caveat did I add? That was my statement all along. Quit being a douchebag and claiming I said things I didn't. The facts support what I said.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
What caveat did I add? That was my statement all along. Quit being a douchebag and claiming I said things I didn't. The facts support what I said.

You added the caveat of "in games where he pitched more than 1 inning".

Your original statement was....

Petricka has not come back a single time this year without rest where he has been effective. He's given up at least one run in this situation every time. The manager has to know his staff and know that this move was stupid tonight.

No where did you say "in games where he pitched more than 1 inning" which again would be silly because that situation happened a grand total of 1 time.

Edited by scs787