9/24 at Tigers

flavum

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Miquel Cabrera, MVP each of the last 2 years, generally regarded as the best hitter in baseball, has 17 fewer intention passes than a guy you don't want the White Sox to have any part of. 27 times Victor Martinez didn't get to hit because JD Martinez was protecting him. 10 times, Miquel Cabrera didn't get to hit. Assuming Victor was in the line up each of those 10 times, it is a significant difference. As I stated, Victor has a far better reputation and total resume than JD.

Do you really truly think if Cabrera and Victor were flip flopped, Victor would still have 27 IBB if the next guy up was Miquel Cabrera?

Your argument only makes sense if you assume teams are actually scared off by name value only, and not by actual performance. I give the teams more credit than that. Victor Martinez has been the best hitter on that team, by far, all year. Right now, yes, I would rather walk Martinez and face Cabrera if there was a good situation for an intentional walk.

Also, the fact the VMart is a switch hitter is a HUGE factor. You can have the platoon advantage with him, but you can get past him to someone where you DO have the platoon advantage.

If VMart has twice as many IBBs as Cabrera in a year where Cabrera is substantially better, then I can see where you'd have an argument.

EDIT: Once again, I'm open to the idea of finding evidence for lineup protection, but pointing out that a team's best hitter has more IBB than the team's other hitters does not qualify as said evidence.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (1dog @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
I would have given Victor something to LOOK AT there, right behind his head.

If we sign that fool, I will be pissed.

Middle of the order hitters with power, who lead the league in getting on base, and rarely strike out, are total fools. We certainly don't need to see his type on the White Sox.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
Your argument only makes sense if you assume teams are actually scared off by name value only, and not by actual performance. I give the teams more credit than that. Victor Martinez has been the best hitter on that team, by far, all year. Right now, yes, I would rather walk Martinez and face Cabrera if there was a good situation for an intentional walk.

Also, the fact the VMart is a switch hitter is a HUGE factor. You can have the platoon advantage with him, but you can get past him to someone where you DO have the platoon advantage.

If VMart has twice as many IBBs as Cabrera in a year where Cabrera is substantially better, then I can see where you'd have an argument.

EDIT: Once again, I'm open to the idea of finding evidence for lineup protection, but pointing out that a team's best hitter has more IBB than the team's other hitters does not qualify as said evidence.

So you really think if the hit exactly the same way but lined them up Victor/Cabrera/JD, Cabrera still would only have 10 IBB and Victor still would have 27, assuming first base was open the exact same amount?

I think you are way off.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m

We now know who Sale tipped his hat to earlier in the game. He thought pitches were being stolen/tipped apparently

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 3m

Martinez stared at Sale all the way down the line. He said something to Sale. Sale answered and he pointed with his glove to CF

....I have no idea what is goin on right now

This is exactly what was going on. Watch the video on mlb.com. You can clearly read Sale yelling "Gonna look out there, huh?" Pointing to the same place he was pointing to the previous inning. Then, Cooper and Scherzer got into it walking off the field.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
This is exactly what was going on. Watch the video on mlb.com. You can clearly read Sale yelling "Gonna look out there, huh?" Pointing to the same place he was pointing to the previous inning. Then, Cooper and Scherzer got into it walking off the field.

Gaah I wish I could watch this game, I love this stuff. I love when teams hate each other. Sale always seems to get a little amped up facing the Tigers.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)

There is a guy with binoculars signaling towards home plate, pretty obvious what seems to be happening.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Is Sale narcissitic that he thinks VMART who has owned him over his career is stealing signs?

What was more telling is that VMart shrugged it all off standing at 1B and did little if nothing to engage Sale verbally after the HBP.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
The least surprising thing about benches clearing was either Belisario leading the bullpen pack or Belisario getting in between Sale and Cabrera talking.

Beli leading an event that requires running is actually quite surprising to me. Now I could see him squeezing himself in front of Miggy and behind Sale at a buffet line.

Edited by Dick Allen