Paul Konerko Appreciation Thread

witesoxfan

Finally a reason for a serious appreciation thread! As opposed to the farewell tour thread, which has been more about what has gone on to honor Konerko throughout the season, share your memories of his great career and accomplishments here.

Personally, I think any Konerko appreciation thread begins with this:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 was 2005, but my favorite moment, the moment when I felt the proudest of Paul Konerko as a player and representative of our team, was the first pitch, no-doubt homerun after he got hit in the face by Carl Pavano in 2010.

Can anyone find video?

Edited by Eminor3rd

I so hoped that Paulie would get to 500. Alas, it won't happen.

He won't be a Hall of Famer, just the Hall of Very Good, but he'll have his number hanging with #35 and that's just as important.

Greatest first baseman in franchise history, easily. Counting Frank as DH so we can have both.

Slowest man to ever run the bases, but that doesn't matter when you hit like Paulie.

I really will miss the big guy and it's just now sinking in that it's the end.

Thank you for being such a large part of my life Paulie, even if what you do is "just a kid's game."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
2005 was 2005, but my favorite moment, the moment when I felt the proudest of Paul Konerko as a player and representative of our team, was the first pitch, no-doubt homerun after he got hit in the face by Carl Pavano in 2010.

Can anyone find video?

One of my favorite personal PK favorites was the game against the Cubs where were down early something like 7 or 8 runs really early. The Cub fans just owned the park at that point. Then the Sox scored like 13 runs and won the game, and just destroyed every single Cub fan in the building and around the city.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
One of my favorite personal PK favorites was the game against the Cubs where were down early something like 7 or 8 runs really early. The Cub fans just owned the park at that point. Then the Sox scored like 13 runs and won the game, and just destroyed every single Cub fan in the building and around the city.

Ditto

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
To me, PK's grand slam in Game 2 of the WS is the most excited I've ever been watching a sporting event. I'm happy PK is getting the recognition he deserves this weekend.

Ditto.

I bought tickets to the Saturday and Sunday games way back when they went on sale as a contingency of not knowing when any ceremony might happen. Really excited for this weekend. I'm not crying. I just have something in my eye.

Even though he's a glorified mascot, whose being on the roster this year cost the Sox at least the divsion if not more in the standings, and probably valuable Jordan Danks development time, I think the Sox won the trade in which they acquired him.

I'm going to miss Paulie. He obviously wasn't the same after his wrist procedure in 2012, and with the JR quote about the doctors and his hips, and Gonzo's write up about the pain he played with in his back and hips, his body was failing him more than we ever knew. Still, he never made excuses . He is a great example for his teammates and White Sox minor leaguers. I hope at least a couple take advantage of it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Even though he's a glorified mascot, whose being on the roster this year cost the Sox at least the divsion if not more in the standings, and probably valuable Jordan Danks development time, I think the Sox won the trade in which they acquired him.

I'm going to miss Paulie. He obviously wasn't the same after his wrist procedure in 2012, and with the JR quote about the doctors and his hips, and Gonzo's write up about the pain he played with in his back and hips, his body was failing him more than we ever knew. Still, he never made excuses . He is a great example for his teammates and White Sox minor leaguers. I hope at least a couple take advantage of it.

His wrists seemingly always bothered him. When he was healthy, there weren't many hitters in the league better than him. I really do wonder if he had stayed healthy his entire career if we'd be talking about a Hall of Fame player. This is a guy who, for better or worse, did play through a lot of pain in his career.

Scott D. Merkin

29 mins · Chicago, IL ·

Here's one example of Paul Konerko's sharp, dry wit.

I was standing in the clubhouse with Bob Beghtol three or four years ago or somewhere around there and Bob asks Konerko, "Where does Merk rank among beat writers?" Konerko thinks for a second and responds, "Second."

I'm pretty happy with that answer because as anyone who has interviewed Konerko knows, he's a great quote but you have to come prepared. Bob then hits Konerko with the follow up question: "Who ranks first?" Konerko pauses, smiles and says, "Everyone else is tied."

I should have seen that coming, but Konerko was a step ahead--story of his career.

Good luck to a true professional, the face of the White Sox franchise and a man who really knows his movies.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Greatest moment of my life to be honest.

I was picked up and carried around section 121 like it was a concert. I remember in the 8th inning I just stopped and realized I still had the chills. Nothing like it. Podsednik's walk-off was incredible but it was Paulie's slam that stuck to me as the prevailing moment of that entire season.

It is kind of a shame Pods' homer is pretty much overlooked for it being a WS walk off, and coming from a guy who hit 0 during the regular season, but Paulie's was bigger. If Paulie doesn't hit his, the Sox lose that game. If Pods' is caught at the wall, it still is tied.

Paul Konerko. He's been with the Sox seemingly as long as I've been a die-hard. I grew up with him, went to college with him, became an adult with him. I will miss him - the ultimate pro. I remember working at Blockbuster when they'd just struck a deal with DirecTV, so I could put the games on. PK called out Frank Thomas! Holy crap, what's this kid doing?!

Many years, many bombs later, PK is a World Champion and I can't thank him enough for the mega hits he got during that run. I am excited to be there on the day his statue is unveiled.

Despite the obvious playoffs and World Series heroics, my favorite memory is his 3 homerun game. I was sitting behind homeplate like 20 rows, and it was glorious. The insane, mega 1st half he had in 2012 (.329 average, .932 OPS) at age 36 is a testament to his work ethic.

We love you, PK.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
It is kind of a shame Pods' homer is pretty much overlooked for it being a WS walk off, and coming from a guy who hit 0 during the regular season, but Paulie's was bigger. If Paulie doesn't hit his, the Sox lose that game. If Pods' is caught at the wall, it still is tied.

I don't think that was possible. It landed a few seats from me and I was in row 6.

But I agree. Pk's HR was the turning point of the game. But the walk off HR was pandemonium in the stands as well.

Can anyone find video?

About a month before that game, maybe less...Konerko hit a homer off Pavano. Sox killed the twins that day by 10+. I'm thinking he wanted to brush him back but missed his spot.

QUOTE (onedude @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=3058307:date=Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:41 AM:name=Eminor3rd)-->
<!--quotec-->2005 was 2005, but my favorite moment, the moment when I felt the proudest of Paul Konerko as a player and representative of our team, was the first pitch, no-doubt homerun after he got hit in the face by Carl Pavano in 2010.

Can anyone find video?

Thanks!

I am sure if you guys have seen this video, but if not, watch it. I am not ashamed to admit it brought a tear(s) to my eye. I am gonna miss you like hell, PK. I know the run is over, but I am 24 years old, so I have been watching PK for most of my life. I don't know what a SOX team without the Captain will be like. I know the time has come, but damn was it a good ride.

PK Goodbye Video

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)

Completely unnecessary first paragraph in an appreciation thread. And the bold is laughable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
Paul Konerko. He's been with the Sox seemingly as long as I've been a die-hard. I grew up with him, went to college with him, became an adult with him. I will miss him - the ultimate pro. I remember working at Blockbuster when they'd just struck a deal with DirecTV, so I could put the games on. PK called out Frank Thomas! Holy crap, what's this kid doing?!

Many years, many bombs later, PK is a World Champion and I can't thank him enough for the mega hits he got during that run. I am excited to be there on the day his statue is unveiled.

Despite the obvious playoffs and World Series heroics, my favorite memory is his 3 homerun game. I was sitting behind homeplate like 20 rows, and it was glorious. The insane, mega 1st half he had in 2012 (.329 average, .932 OPS) at age 36 is a testament to his work ethic.

We love you, PK.

Good summary. Konerko has more of a connection to me than Thomas does, partly because of the age factor as you pointed out.