Paul Konerko Appreciation Thread

witesoxfan

Paulie has always been on the White Sox since I became a fan, I know no different and it will suck to see him go. From traveling to Chicago with my dad to watch games and hearing everyone including my dad (Cards fan) chant Paulie every time is something I will remember forever. 2nd home game in '05 I was lucky to attend and Paulie started the rally to come back and win right after my dad wanted to leave so we could beat traffic and start driving back to St. Louis, I said no, we will come back. Konerko and Dye hit back to back homes and we came back and won. Even though I was only 12, I knew it was going to be a special season.

Then his grand slam in the World Season, I ran around my house screaming for a good 5 minutes. Then my most recent memory; when the Sox came to St. Louis I was at every game, 2 hours early to try and get autographs or just see the team warm up and Paulie was signing autographs on the last game and I brought a picture I bought at the All-Star game fanfest a few years earlier of US Cellular Field before the World Series game and he signed it for me.

Paulie will always be one of the best Sox of all time and he was a great guy I hope he comes back to work for the team in the next few years.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i watched the guy hit his lowest low(03) in a white sox uniform and follow it with the highest high(05). and when it mattered, he delivered. It will be strange to not see him on the field and in a sox uniform.

I also thought it was a very honorable thing for him to give JR the ball after the world series, especially one year after everyone in Boston was b****ing about who gets to keep the ball.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 06:50 PM)
I am sure if you guys have seen this video, but if not, watch it. I am not ashamed to admit it brought a tear(s) to my eye. I am gonna miss you like hell, PK. I know the run is over, but I am 24 years old, so I have been watching PK for most of my life. I don't know what a SOX team without the Captain will be like. I know the time has come, but damn was it a good ride.

PK Goodbye Video

What a video. Thanks for posting. There are no words to describe Paul Konerko. I'm sad the run is over.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
I am sure if you guys have seen this video, but if not, watch it. I am not ashamed to admit it brought a tear(s) to my eye. I am gonna miss you like hell, PK. I know the run is over, but I am 24 years old, so I have been watching PK for most of my life. I don't know what a SOX team without the Captain will be like. I know the time has come, but damn was it a good ride.

PK Goodbye Video

Yeah watching that made it really sink in. Thanks for the memories Paulie, a whole lot of 'em!

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 06:40 AM)
Fixed. I'll leave the legend only status for Big Frank. Gonna miss Paulie though. Nothing beats that grand slam for me.

Honestly if it wasn't for Konerko's time having overlap with Frank Thomas, Paulie would be a legend on the level of guys like Aparicio and Appling in White Sox lore. If you take out Frank, Konerko is by far the best power (long term speaking) hitter in the history of the franchise, and no one else is particularly close. In a franchise that still talks about guys like Harold Baines and Dick Allen, Paulie blows them all away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Honestly if it wasn't for Konerko's time having overlap with Frank Thomas, Paulie would be a legend on the level of guys like Aparicio and Appling in White Sox lore. If you take out Frank, Konerko is by far the best power (long term speaking) hitter in the history of the franchise, and no one else is particularly close. In a franchise that still talks about guys like Harold Baines and Dick Allen, Paulie blows them all away.

I bet he will be 20 years from now. And not just because he came after them.

The Game 2 Grand Slam is definitely what I will always remember Paulie for as a player, but I also got to know him a little bit as a person as well and that made watching his career even more special for me.

As a kid, I caddied at Olympia Fields Country Club and we used to have a March of Dimes outing where every group played with a local celebrity. In 1999, Paulie's 1st year with the Sox, he came to play in the event. Based on our rank we got to select which group we wanted to caddy for in the event. I was only 17 at the time (3rd year caddy), so I was in the middle of the pack somewhere. Being a huge Sox fan, I definitely wanted a Sox player. I don't remember all the players that were there, but when it was my turn I of course knew Paulie was a Sox player, so I took him.

Getting to meet a local celebrity was always a thrill, especially as a kid. I had of course seen Paulie on the field, now I get to actually meet him and spend a few hours with him. Most guys take a cart in outings, but Paulie decided he wanted to walk the course instead so I carried his bag....which actually turned out to be Greg Norton's clubs. Paulie didn't have his with him. None of the guests in the group really seemed to know who Paulie was, so they kind of just had their own fun while I got to walk 18 holes with PK. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. Asked questions about myself, school, where I was going to go to college, etc. He pretty much was exactly how we see PK every day talking to the media...same guy. He always engaged me in conversation, like he actually wanted to talk to this 17 year old kid carrying his bag. I will never forget how cool he was.

After a few holes, he sees I am a decent caddy and he starts to ask for advice on clubs and reading greens. We get to a Par 3 and it is a hole you can win a prize. A trip to Ireland with a hole in one. I had been clubbing PK for a few holes now so he turned to me and said, 7 or 8 iron. I handed him the 8 and he hit a real good shot right at the hole. The green is a little elevated, so from our vantage point it was a little tough to see what happened to the ball, but it definitely disappeared and we see the people on the green screaming and celebrating. He hit a hole in one and won the trip...with someone else's clubs mind you. Nevertheless, everyone is excited and of course I get a huge high five from PK. Next hole was longest drive and still probably pumped up from the last hole, he rips one right down the middle of the fairway...longest of the day to that point. Not sure if he won that one though.

The day was definitely the best selection I ever made on the March of Dimes picks. Got to spend 4 hours with a guy that would become one of my favorite players ever in a White Sox uniform and some great memories to go along with it.

I'm wondering the significance of turning one switch off and one on during the end of that video. Then, ultimately turning the second switch off. Sunday, the light will finally be turned off. Thanks Paulie! From age 12 to 27, it was a pleasure and an honor to watch you. White Sox legend. White Sox for life.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
The Game 2 Grand Slam is definitely what I will always remember Paulie for as a player, but I also got to know him a little bit as a person as well and that made watching his career even more special for me.

As a kid, I caddied at Olympia Fields Country Club and we used to have a March of Dimes outing where every group played with a local celebrity. In 1999, Paulie's 1st year with the Sox, he came to play in the event. Based on our rank we got to select which group we wanted to caddy for in the event. I was only 17 at the time (3rd year caddy), so I was in the middle of the pack somewhere. Being a huge Sox fan, I definitely wanted a Sox player. I don't remember all the players that were there, but when it was my turn I of course knew Paulie was a Sox player, so I took him.

Getting to meet a local celebrity was always a thrill, especially as a kid. I had of course seen Paulie on the field, now I get to actually meet him and spend a few hours with him. Most guys take a cart in outings, but Paulie decided he wanted to walk the course instead so I carried his bag....which actually turned out to be Greg Norton's clubs. Paulie didn't have his with him. None of the guests in the group really seemed to know who Paulie was, so they kind of just had their own fun while I got to walk 18 holes with PK. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. Asked questions about myself, school, where I was going to go to college, etc. He pretty much was exactly how we see PK every day talking to the media...same guy. He always engaged me in conversation, like he actually wanted to talk to this 17 year old kid carrying his bag. I will never forget how cool he was.

After a few holes, he sees I am a decent caddy and he starts to ask for advice on clubs and reading greens. We get to a Par 3 and it is a hole you can win a prize. A trip to Ireland with a hole in one. I had been clubbing PK for a few holes now so he turned to me and said, 7 or 8 iron. I handed him the 8 and he hit a real good shot right at the hole. The green is a little elevated, so from our vantage point it was a little tough to see what happened to the ball, but it definitely disappeared and we see the people on the green screaming and celebrating. He hit a hole in one and won the trip...with someone else's clubs mind you. Nevertheless, everyone is excited and of course I get a huge high five from PK. Next hole was longest drive and still probably pumped up from the last hole, he rips one right down the middle of the fairway...longest of the day to that point. Not sure if he won that one though.

The day was definitely the best selection I ever made on the March of Dimes picks. Got to spend 4 hours with a guy that would become one of my favorite players ever in a White Sox uniform and some great memories to go along with it.

Thanks for posting that!

ps. What did he give you?

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)

I think he is. That's why I mentioned White Sox legend. Legend by itself is for guys like Frank who was one of the best ever (hall of fame) and is remembered by outside fans. We as white sox fans will always remember Paulie.