Paul Konerko Appreciation Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 11:57 PM)
Just got back from the game. Tonight's crowd was so electric. It was so good to see that to honor Konerko. When Abreu hit that first inning HR, the place erupted and I had goosebumps. I hope we can get more of that in the upcoming years.

Like others have said, the PK ceremony was simply amazing.

We need a good team, a playoff contender badly! I want it so badly, I can't wait.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Paulie and Frnak having words years ago. Here's a tidbit of what I found.

"When White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko actually showed that someone cared, chastising Thomas for sulking after being benched and questioning whether the team would be better off without him, Konerko was told to please shut up and keep his comments to himself.

"If a guy is disgruntled and kind of affecting the way the clubhouse is, yeah, get rid of him," Konerko said on the eve of the All-Star Game. "The object is to have everybody pulling in the same direction. Why would you ever want to have one person who is not full-blown for the team all the time?" "

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/...7-17/majors.htm

Frank has had moments of being a bit of a whiner and Paulie has always been the shut up and play kind of guy so I could see how they might not see eye to eye. I have no idea if their words in the past have anything to do with Thomas not being there Saturday but it is intriguing.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
It's on Sox website. Right here.

This was awesome. I couldn't hold it in anymore when the guy who caught his grand slam came back and gave the ball back to him. That was just awesome.

I am going to miss that guy. I need to know when they are retiring his number. I just hope it is during a time I can go.

Paulie! Paulie! Paulie!

Edited by BigHurt3515

Very happy to have made it out to the park for this. Relieved that the house was as packed as it was, as it should have been for this sort of thing. The turnout actually seemed bigger than some of the more recent Cub/Sox games, even with the prestigious BP Cup of Glory at stake.

Pretty damn remarkable that the guy who gifted Konerko with the Grand Slam ball wound up snagging a foul ball off his bat a little later.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
Was at the game tonight, I thought it was awesome to see the place packed to honor Konerko. Did they ever say on the broadcast why Frank had no involvement at all?

I am guessing he was working for Fox Sports 1 or they probably didn't want him overshadowing the event. It was Paulie"s night. Frank being there would have taken some of the spotlight away.

I do know Paulie called out Frank during their playing days, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. Robin called him out once as well. I think Frank, Paulie and Robin are all fine.

Was it ever said on TV or twitter or otherwise why Frank Thomas was not there for the ceremony? I mean, he and Paulie played together for 6 years, and every record that wasn't owned by Paulie, was owned by Frank. And their statues are right next to each other.

Was Frank bitter that Paulie is getting all the love now? Or that he doesn't have the newest statue? Or that he never got this kind of celebration in his retirement? Or was he part of the "out of towners" who got stuck at O'Hare. Since I was at the game, I didn't get to watch the pre/post game shows, so I wasn't sure if he was in studio.

EDIT: Now I see it was brought up a couple posts above mine. Didn't notice that.

Edited by Chilihead90

Ryan Buch

Yesterday at 12:02pm ·

Derek jeter is definitely getting what he's earned. But there are 2 irreplaceable captains leaving this game this year. The time I spent with the chicago white sox, I was privileged enough to have been given the honor of watching and learning from this man. I have shared the same field, same locker room and dugout with him. whether it was in spring training, off the field or eating lunch, just being around this guy makes you a better person and player. Although my time was short, I learned a lifetime full of lessons, on truly how to be a total class act on and off the field and in life. Thanks for treating all of us like we weren't any different (which we totally were haha) and enjoy the next part of your life! Cheers Paul Konerko!!

I was there yesterday, with my two kids. It was my 4 year old's first game. I thought he needed to see Paulie play once. Even though he wasn't all that interested in the game, he kept asking, "Where is that guy who isn't playing anymore?" I hope PK continues on in some capacity with this team. They need someone like him as a coach or in the FO.

I'm glad I got to say farewell. Thanks PK.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
I was there yesterday, with my two kids. It was my 4 year old's first game. I thought he needed to see Paulie play once. Even though he wasn't all that interested in the game, he kept asking, "Where is that guy who isn't playing anymore?" I hope PK continues on in some capacity with this team. They need someone like him as a coach or in the FO.

I'm glad I got to say farewell. Thanks PK.

Good for you. That's a great first game for your 4 year old. I agree it would be great he stay in the organization. But his kids are very young and maybe he'll simply want to coach them the next 15 years or something. That'd be a good life as well. I see him as one of those guys who will just retire and raise his kids with all that money he has. He doesn't like the Midwest weather and probably wants to enjoy life and like I said, raise those kids.

There's really no reason to work anymore when you've made that much money. He always could do some broadcasting on the side.

Edited by greg775