Ebola in the USA

greg775

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since deleted, but worth noting:

Katy Conrad @katywithawhy Not sure when @SenRandPaul became a doctor, but says Ebola can spread from a person who has the disease to someone standing 3 ft away #uhmm

If only she had access to a news organization that could help her research when Sen. Paul became a doctor.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Since deleted, but worth noting:

Katy Conrad @katywithawhy Not sure when @SenRandPaul became a doctor, but says Ebola can spread from a person who has the disease to someone standing 3 ft away #uhmm

If only she had access to a news organization that could help her research when Sen. Paul became a doctor.

Well, I can tell when he stopped. (/rimshot).

yeah. that he has a medical background just makes things worse. Even his dad thinks he's full of it:

Ron Paul, who is a medical doctor, pointed out that an estimated 3,000 to 49,000 people died every year from influenza, but no one was considering a travel ban to stop the flu from spreading.

“So right now, I would say a travel ban is politically motivated more than something done for medical purposes,” he concluded

It's funny to see the range of reactions about this from "experts". Some people freak out thinking that the entire New York public transportation system is now contaminated with Ebola, while others doubt this doctor will have even infected a single other person given the timeline.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 07:28 AM)
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw someone with ebola at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Thank you, Samone.

Ebola just isn't spread all that easily. There were what, 48 people in close contact with the guy from Dallas, and only two people contracted it. They were medical professionals treating him directly. Not even the people he was sharing an apartment with contracted it.

More people will die from the regular flu this winter than ebola in this country. There is no reason to freak out over it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 07:28 AM)
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw someone with ebola at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

What flavor did they drop to start serving Ebola?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Ebola just isn't spread all that easily. There were what, 48 people in close contact with the guy from Dallas, and only two people contracted it. They were medical professionals treating him directly. Not even the people he was sharing an apartment with contracted it.

More people will die from the regular flu this winter than ebola in this country. There is no reason to freak out over it.

True but more people will come down with the flu than ebola. The % of deaths of those that get the flu is much lower.

ALS is a death sentence, cancer is not yet there is much less interest in ALS research because the contraction rate is much lower.

I saw this yesterday and it kinda puts it into perspective.

Number of deaths worldwide since October 3:

Aids 1.28 million

Tuberculosis 1.04 million

Malaria 501,656

Ebola 3,330

I think some people are making this out to be a much bigger deal than it really is.

Link

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
I saw this yesterday and it kinda puts it into perspective.

Number of deaths worldwide since October 3:

Aids 1.28 million

Tuberculosis 1.04 million

Malaria 501,656

Ebola 3,330

I think some people are making this out to be a much bigger deal than it really is.

Link

The SARS Czar disagrees

What I find sad is that there is a vaccine for the #2 item on that list. There is also one for the #3 item although from what I recall when I traveled to some places that recommended the medication, it really isn't the types of vaccine that most people think of. Lots of potential side effects and efficacy isn't very good nor does it last long-term. I believe it is more just pills that you take. Unless I'm confusing the vaccines.

In reality, the fear regarding the last one would be if it were to spread wide stream we could have a pretty serious problem given that in terms of how it is spread (while not like a cold), it is more contagious then the other contagious disease on that list where there isn't a vaccine of any sort.

Funny how most of the people saying 'Ebola? Eh, no big deal', were having near panic attacks about bird flu or whatever that was during the Bush admin. The optimist would like to think they learned a lesson about panic. The more likely reality is something political...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
Funny how most of the people saying 'Ebola? Eh, no big deal', were having near panic attacks about bird flu or whatever that was during the Bush admin. The optimist would like to think they learned a lesson about panic. The more likely reality is something political...

It's media driven more than anything. If people feel panicked, they'll tune in.