Ebola in the USA

greg775

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
While Balta's uninsured comment was not directed at this, it does highlight why everyone benefits when people have insurance and receive treatment. People who can not afford treatment continue on and infect others, increasing the cost for everyone.

I'd adjust this slightly but goes to a similar thought, it is why preventive medicine is so important as a society, not only for the betterment of society, but from a cost management perspective. Much cheaper to have regular check-ups, immunizations, etc, then waiting until someone is on their death bed with a million things wrong with them to treat.

Of course this is coming from one of the few republican's who believes everyone in our country has the right to quality healthcare. I really can't make any legitimate argument as to why that shouldn't be the case. How we go about reaching that goal, well that to me is what should be the focal point of the argument.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not certain what it will take until the pendulum swings back to statesmanship and cooperation from the present state. At some point healthcare will be like Social Security, both sides will threaten that the other plans on taking it away.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
I am not certain what it will take until the pendulum swings back to statesmanship and cooperation from the present state. At some point healthcare will be like Social Security, both sides will threaten that the other plans on taking it away.

The other side plans on taking away the health care of tens of millions of people.

• 3 months later...
Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf paid emotional tribute to the American people on Thursday as the United States formally wound up its successful five-month mission to combat the west African nation's Ebola outbreak.

With Liberia now in recovery from the worst outbreak of the deadly virus in history, the visiting Sirleaf thanked the United States for coming to the region's aid in its hour of need.

"America responded, you did not run from Liberia," Sirleaf told US lawmakers in Washington, expressing the "profound gratitude" of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.

Something this nation can feel a bit proud about.

• 10 months later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
West Africa was declared ebola-free a few days ago, but an additional case has popped up in Sierra Leone

eta: there were a grand total of 4 Ebola cases in the US with 2 deaths related to this outbreak

Whoa whoa let's see what happens with this new case before busting out the champagne