Arizona Fall League - 7 Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have been tempted to send Courtney Hawkins there. Just to give a taste of higher competition so both him and the club will have a better idea of what he needs to work on.

I really want to like Olacio, the potential is there but he drastically needs to improve his command.

I like Bassit and that he should be given a chance to start the year in the rotation.

Where does Tim Anderson okay in the major? Is he really that bad defensively as his high total of errors indicates him being?

Can Montas join the rotation at some point next year, joining Rodon?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
I would have been tempted to send Courtney Hawkins there. Just to give a taste of higher competition so both him and the club will have a better idea of what he needs to work on.

I really want to like Olacio, the potential is there but he drastically needs to improve his command.

I like Bassit and that he should be given a chance to start the year in the rotation.

Where does Tim Anderson okay in the major? Is he really that bad defensively as his high total of errors indicates him being?

Montas is a long away from Chicago. Probably a year and a half or two years under good conditions. Even close to three years wouldn't be awful, considering the injury time he lost this year, and where he is in the minors.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)

I think Hawkins would have been a mistake. He did exactly what you wanted him to do this year - improve significantly across the board. Putting him back in a reach position could have undone that. Let him go to the offseason having accomplished some things, and be fresh for AA next year.

Also worth noting, the team is supposed to be AA+ guys, though they got away with an extra in this case.

Anderson is a SS for now still, he has the raw tools for it, but needs more time there. Olacio needs reps, Bassitt needs recovery innings.

Montas could be a major league reliever right now, IMO. He has a legit plus fastball (mid to upper 90's with late movement), and a now-above-average, tight slider in the upper 80's. But his other stuff needs refining. If you think he's a reliever, he could be in Chicago in 2015. If you think he can get at least one more pitch to playable, then you keep him starting in AA and maybe AAA next year.

For the record I think Bassitt is likely a reliever in the future, and could be a good one. Montas is 50/50.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
Montas is a long away from Chicago. Probably a year and a half or two years under good conditions. Even close to three years wouldn't be awful, considering the injury time he lost this year, and where he is in the minors.

Seeing as he probably opens the season in AA I'd hope it's not 3 years. If he pitches anything like he did last year I wouldn't be shocked at all if he only spent 2 or 3 months in AA before getting called up to AAA. From there, assuming he continues to dominate, he'll be knocking on the door.

I think it's pretty obvious that Tim Anderson and Courtney Hawkins will both be at Birmingham next year with Danish and Montas in the rotation. That's going to be a really fun team. If Montas stays healthy and continues to develop that 3rd pitch, he will move really fast. I mean he's already going to be at AA. I think that Bassitt is a bullpen arm as well that has the chance to be real good in that role.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
I think it's pretty obvious that Tim Anderson and Courtney Hawkins will both be at Birmingham next year with Danish and Montas in the rotation. That's going to be a really fun team. If Montas stays healthy and continues to develop that 3rd pitch, he will move really fast. I mean he's already going to be at AA. I think that Bassitt is a bullpen arm as well that has the chance to be real good in that role.

I'd agree that Birmingham could be a really fun team to watch next year. Rotation likely includes Montas and Danish, plus some combo of Recchia/Bucciferro/Wendelken/Jaye (Recchia may start in AAA, Wendelken may go back to relief) to make up what should be a pretty solid rotation.

The lineup should include Anderson, Hawkins and Coats, but the rest of the lineup I'm not sure will be that great. May and Barnum don't look ready to me, DeMichele just hasn't put it together, Heisler is an org guy... Narvaez might be something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
I'd agree that Birmingham could be a really fun team to watch next year. Rotation likely includes Montas and Danish, plus some combo of Recchia/Bucciferro/Wendelken/Jaye (Recchia may start in AAA, Wendelken may go back to relief) to make up what should be a pretty solid rotation.

The lineup should include Anderson, Hawkins and Coats, but the rest of the lineup I'm not sure will be that great. May and Barnum don't look ready to me, DeMichele just hasn't put it together, Heisler is an org guy... Narvaez might be something.

I get what you are saying. I just meant that 2 of the Sox best pitching prospects and the 2 best position player prospects will all be in AA. That's exciting.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
another name to think about is, and I know it is crazy, is Adams last yr 2 rounder. he just might '

fly thru the system.

I think that if I had to bet on one prospect quickly rising through the system I would pick Adams and I would not surprised at all if that actually was the case.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
If not a starter he could be a great bullpen asset.

Or the White Sox version of Yordano Ventura.

from one of the Red Sox sites, soxprospects.com

Scouting Report for Francellis Montas: Sturdy pitching frame with strong lower body. Throws from a 3/4 arm slot. Exceptional arm strength. Four-seam fastball operates at 96-100 mph. Fastball shows late tail in lower reaches of velocity and ride high in the zone at higher velocities. Can be straight at times. Below-average command and control. Tends to jerk his head off target and is a bit long in the back with arm action. Also throws mid-80s slider, but it presently lacks tilt and depth. Slider is flat on approach to the plate. He has the potential to refine the pitch into an average-to-better offering. In the development stages of learning a changeup, which presently sits 87-88 mph with minimal deception. Slows arm down when throwing. Very rough and raw on the mound. Just learning how to pitch. Late-inning reliever high leverage potential, but also has the potential to never make it past Double-A. Lottery ticket type prospect.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Or the White Sox version of Yordano Ventura.

from one of the Red Sox sites, soxprospects.com

Scouting Report for Francellis Montas: Sturdy pitching frame with strong lower body. Throws from a 3/4 arm slot. Exceptional arm strength. Four-seam fastball operates at 96-100 mph. Fastball shows late tail in lower reaches of velocity and ride high in the zone at higher velocities. Can be straight at times. Below-average command and control. Tends to jerk his head off target and is a bit long in the back with arm action. Also throws mid-80s slider, but it presently lacks tilt and depth. Slider is flat on approach to the plate. He has the potential to refine the pitch into an average-to-better offering. In the development stages of learning a changeup, which presently sits 87-88 mph with minimal deception. Slows arm down when throwing. Very rough and raw on the mound. Just learning how to pitch. Late-inning reliever high leverage potential, but also has the potential to never make it past Double-A. Lottery ticket type prospect.

nice find. the rpt took the shine off of him but I still have high hopes.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 05:00 AM)
nice find. the rpt took the shine off of him but I still have high hopes.

This was written at a time when he was in the Red Sox system and before the Peavy trade last summer.

Quite a few prospect gurus and pundits NOW have him projected as one of the most electric young starters in the minors right now...and a strong showing in the AFL will bump him onto many Top 100 lists in the 75-90 vicinity, with the possibility of advancing to 30-50 with dominance at the much tougher AA level at some point in 2015.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
This was written at a time when he was in the Red Sox system and before the Peavy trade last summer.

Quite a few prospect gurus and pundits NOW have him projected as one of the most electric young starters in the minors right now...and a strong showing in the AFL will bump him onto many Top 100 lists in the 75-90 vicinity, with the possibility of advancing to 30-50 with dominance at the much tougher AA level at some point in 2015.

and while I agree with you, look at the last rpt on him. he is still working on the

3rd pitch, and the other stats needs more help.

don't get me wrong. I am a fan of his.