Arizona Fall League - 7 Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
I doubt it was nerves - final outing in a fall league, after doing very well until then? Nothing to be nervous about. More likely just had an off day, or maybe lost focus a bit.

all too true, but man as I was saying, the future is looking great.

1 thing Scott Snodgress and Smith, do you think they can contribute in the majors???

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
all too true, but man as I was saying, the future is looking great.

1 thing Scott Snodgress and Smith, do you think they can contribute in the majors???

I've got mixed feelings on Snodgress. Lefties who can throw a decent fastball and a curve are valuable, but he hasn't been able to throw strikes consistently, or miss many bats. I wouldn't write him off yet by any means, but I don't see him contributing in 2015.

Smith is a guy I like more than some others, but likely as a bat-first backup. Which is harder to make work when he hits right-handed. He has some mechanical issues hitting, but those can be worked out and I think the bat will play in the majors at the catching position. Defensively, he has a strong arm and throws guys out enough, but reports on his receiving are not great. Pitcher handling has been said to be good. No useful info on framing that I've seen yet. In some ways he profiles similarly to Phegley (but more athletic).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
I've got mixed feelings on Snodgress. Lefties who can throw a decent fastball and a curve are valuable, but he hasn't been able to throw strikes consistently, or miss many bats. I wouldn't write him off yet by any means, but I don't see him contributing in 2015.

Smith is a guy I like more than some others, but likely as a bat-first backup. Which is harder to make work when he hits right-handed. He has some mechanical issues hitting, but those can be worked out and I think the bat will play in the majors at the catching position. Defensively, he has a strong arm and throws guys out enough, but reports on his receiving are not great. Pitcher handling has been said to be good. No useful info on framing that I've seen yet. In some ways he profiles similarly to Phegley (but more athletic).

interesting on Snodgress. I thought I read his fastball had little to no movement. so with

that, if true, I didn't think he will make it. I truly hope I am wrong. I want all sox prospects

to make it, a very unrealistic opinion.

Smith, I was hoping that he would improve and we, the fans can see it in AZL. he is still

young.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
interesting on Snodgress. I thought I read his fastball had little to no movement. so with

that, if true, I didn't think he will make it. I truly hope I am wrong. I want all sox prospects

to make it, a very unrealistic opinion.

Smith, I was hoping that he would improve and we, the fans can see it in AZL. he is still

young.

His fastball is pretty straight, but that's not a huge problem for a left handed reliever with a decent second pitch (which he has). Righties would hit him very well, but lefties can struggle against that type of repertoire.

Either way, he's likely going to be in Charlotte all year and will be the 3rd or 4th lefty, which means he won't get called up until September unless injuries strike.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
His fastball is pretty straight, but that's not a huge problem for a left handed reliever with a decent second pitch (which he has). Righties would hit him very well, but lefties can struggle against that type of repertoire.

Either way, he's likely going to be in Charlotte all year and will be the 3rd or 4th lefty, which means he won't get called up until September unless injuries strike.

well I am not writing him off.

thanks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
I don't know if anyone posted it here, but I saw a reference a few days ago from a scouting type describing Jefferson Olacio's throwing mechanics looking like three small children stacked up and wearing Dad's trench coat.

do you have a link..... sounds interesting.