Arizona Fall League - 7 Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

Keith Law with some positive words on Montas:

The White Sox's farm system looks like it's the strongest it's been since I started ranking and evaluating systems for ESPN in 2008, with four likely top-100 prospects, including right-hander Francellis Montas who hit 102 mph in an instructional league game last week. Acquired from Boston in the Jake Peavy trade, Montas has developed very quickly into a potential front-line starter -- because, you know, the White Sox need another one of those -- working 94-98 on Thursday night with a plus slider at 87-90 that has curveball shape because his arm slot is high. His changeup wasn't as good Thursday as scouts who saw him in instructs said it was; you could really see him work to turn the pitch over and slow his arm to get the pitch right, and if I see that, hitters will, too.

He's built like ... well, Bartolo Colon is the only guy built like this in the majors, so let's say a "young Bartolo Colon," with a mature body and very thick hips and legs. He's coming off a knee injury that ended his year but moved well when he had to make a play in the field. He's nowhere near as advanced as Carlos Rodon, and there's still a chance he ends up in relief, but the White Sox have such a good track record with arms that I wouldn't rule him out from starting unless disaster strikes.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
Bassitt is really impressing. I think he breaks camp with the Sox next year.

I can't figure out how determined they are to make him a starter. We've seen quotes from him where he says he likes being a reliever, but with the improved off speed stuff he featured this year he is showing that he has the ability to hold his ground as a starter.

He could break camp with the Sox as a reliever, but doing so as a starter seems iffy, and it seems like the team might think he has a future there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
I can't figure out how determined they are to make him a starter. We've seen quotes from him where he says he likes being a reliever, but with the improved off speed stuff he featured this year he is showing that he has the ability to hold his ground as a starter.

He could break camp with the Sox as a reliever, but doing so as a starter seems iffy, and it seems like the team might think he has a future there.

Just make him our new Axelrod.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
That's Scott Carroll if it's anyone. Bassitt is a hell of a lot more talented than Axelrod.

If Bassitt's a reliever, he might well have closer stuff. His average fastball was 91.7 this year and he topped out almost at 96. If he's able to pump a couple mph onto the average out of the bullpen and team it with an above average slider, that's back-of-the-bullpen kind of stuff, potentially.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Curious, has Bassitt said he prefers relieving recently, or was it just the interview he did last year with future sox?

Both. To us before, and again recently in an article on one of the major outlets, I forget which now (but it was just a few days ago).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:22 PM)
Would like to see Smith as the back-up someday, but Smith will be at Charlotte with Nieto at BIRM.

Maybe they'll bring in a veteran to push out or at least compete with Phegley, like Geo Soto.

Have you forgotten about Flowers? Unless Flowers is traded, Phegley will be competing for the backup role.

IMO, Phegley is traded at some point during the off season and the Sox look for a LH backup or possibly a starter.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 10:28 PM)
Have you forgotten about Flowers? Unless Flowers is traded, Phegley will be competing for the backup role.

IMO, Phegley is traded at some point during the off season and the Sox look for a LH backup or possibly a starter.

NOPE.

Flowers

veteran like Soto/Ross or possibly Phegley

K. Smith

Nieto

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 05:36 AM)
NOPE.

Flowers

veteran like Soto/Ross or possibly Phegley

K. Smith

Nieto

I truly believe in how the sox brass will identify the priority of their needs. I see

the sox going internal with Phegley or thru a trade.

if 1 of the other posters who is very good with the advance stats, maybe they can

answer this. I believe Flowers had a better 2 half than he did in the first half. does

anyone have a guess why if this is true?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
I truly believe in how the sox brass will identify the priority of their needs. I see

the sox going internal with Phegley or thru a trade.

if 1 of the other posters who is very good with the advance stats, maybe they can

answer this. I believe Flowers had a better 2 half than he did in the first half. does

anyone have a guess why if this is true?

You are correct, and substantially:

1st half: 61 wRC+

2nd half: 149 wRC+

Also, by month:

Apr: 132

May: 75

Jun: 8 (lol)

Jul: 103

Aug: 97

Sept: 174

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?p...amp;season=2014