Arizona Fall League - 7 Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:38 AM)
Bassitt went 2.2 giving up a hit and his 1st walk while striking out 4. 10/1 K/BB, 5 hits, in 7 innings so far. He's been impressive.

this is indeed very good news. esp the fact no earned runs.

btw Anderson beside his error the other day, how has he done since re: fielding?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
After last night's game, Bassitt tweeted: "Oh bullpen how I have missed you"

Without knowing or talking to him personally, Bassitt seems to have a very intense and focused demeanor and it's hard to use that out of the rotation.

As much as I like Bassitt as a potential starter moving forward, I think using him out of the bullpen could prove to be a fantastic move for the Sox long term.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
If he has a desire to be in the bullpen, why are the Sox starting him?

1. What he wants doesn't and can't dictate what he does. And he'd tell you that.

2. The White Sox often put likely relievers into starting rotations for a season or two, for a few reasons. One, getting in more innings allows them to develop faster and go from thrower to pitcher. Two, on occasion, guys like that end up succeeding at it (as is the case with Bassitt), and boom, you have another starting prospect.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
I think the Glendale game is free video tonight. Of course that means no White Sox prospects will play, probably.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7617858/v3680...dogs-at-rafters

Well, everyone but Smith and Olacio was in the game yesterday. So you'll probably get those two tonight, FWIW, at least. Also seems likely at least one of Anderson/Basto should play again.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
I think the Glendale game is free video tonight. Of course that means no White Sox prospects will play, probably.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7617858/v3680...dogs-at-rafters

On that video link, you can see Mark Appel get called for a pitch clock violation. I already hate it, but I'm glad they'll find out how stupid it is in the AFL, and not in March.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 07:32 AM)
1. What he wants doesn't and can't dictate what he does. And he'd tell you that.

2. The White Sox often put likely relievers into starting rotations for a season or two, for a few reasons. One, getting in more innings allows them to develop faster and go from thrower to pitcher. Two, on occasion, guys like that end up succeeding at it (as is the case with Bassitt), and boom, you have another starting prospect.

3. Related to number two, whether that pitcher can hone the change, curve/slider to the point where he has two plus or at least three legit "out" pitches in his arsenal...this is what the White Sox went through with Jake Petricka, for example. You can get by with two as a starter (see Colon or Contreras with the FB/forkball combination), but it's pretty darned rare.

Pretty soon, they're just going to have to get Anderson's bat and athleticism into the MLB line-up.

His ultimate defensive position is becoming secondary, although of course they would love for it to be SS and not 2B/OF.

If Micah and Anderson can BOTH stick as infielders, that gives you an incredible amount of excitement up the middle. And Semien at 3B with Conor, that's a potentially very interesting core.

In the end, Sanchez will probably fall to the wayside as the utility guy/Joe McEwing/Oquendo with Semien also playing all over the place.

Edited by caulfield12