Arizona Fall League - 7 Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Pretty soon, they're just going to have to get Anderson's bat and athleticism into the MLB line-up.

His ultimate defensive position is becoming secondary, although of course they would love for it to be SS and not 2B/OF.

His defense cannot be secondary.

He needs to stay in the minors while that part of his game improves.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 03:42 AM)
His defense cannot be secondary.

He needs to stay in the minors while that part of his game improves.

I wouldn't be surprise if they start experimenting with him in the outfield. with

his errors, I was wondering 3b.

If Anderson hits .500 at Charlotte all summer his earliest best-case ETA to the majors is still opening day 2016. Leave him at short, let him try to keep getting better at it. Not only is he athletic enough to thrive at a middle infield position, his bat will be worth much more at those positions than it will be in the OF.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
I wouldn't be surprise if they start experimenting with him in the outfield. with

Many scouts say second base if he doesn't work out at short. Second is closer to first base so it could help alleviate the throwing errors. IMO,if he cannot play SS then play him at second. No matter what, the Sox will be sure to find a place for his bat when the time comes. I still have hope for TA being a SS. Just going to take some time and patience with the young man when the time comes.

If Sox fans were able to endure a middle aged Jose Valentin then they can bare the growing pains of a young TA.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 06:34 AM)
Many scouts say second base if he doesn't work out at short. Second is closer to first base so it could help alleviate the throwing errors. IMO,if he cannot play SS then play him at second. No matter what, the Sox will be sure to find a place for his bat when the time comes. I still have hope for TA being a SS. Just going to take some time and patience with the young man when the time comes.

If Sox fans were able to endure a middle aged Jose Valentin then they can bare the growing pains of a young TA.

that is what I been thinking about. but I would like to see another how he does in AZL.

but 30+ errors - 2014 ???

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)

Alcides Escobar had fielding percentages in the .930s and .940s consistently throughout the low minors and made 41 errors as an 18 year old. Young kids are not refined and will make mistakes like that, which is why they play in the minors for 2-5 years. Not to mention that Anderson missed time this year due to a broken hand, which is a double whammy for getting back into it.

As of this moment, he's a SS prospect and there's no reason to believe he'll be anything else.

Looking at error numbers in the minors has very little meaning. Anderson may or may not stick, but his 30-some errors won't be the reason.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
Haven't watched for a while, but Olacio is pitching and just struck out Buxton.

Finished 0.2 IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 K. So far in AFL: 3 IP, 5 H, 7 ER, 4 BB, 2 K. Not great so far.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Alcides Escobar had fielding percentages in the .930s and .940s consistently throughout the low minors and made 41 errors as an 18 year old. Young kids are not refined and will make mistakes like that, which is why they play in the minors for 2-5 years. Not to mention that Anderson missed time this year due to a broken hand, which is a double whammy for getting back into it.

As of this moment, he's a SS prospect and there's no reason to believe he'll be anything else.

an extremely good point. pls don't get me wrong, i want him to

succeed as much as any. i have a habit of not looking at things

with rose colored glasses. which i know is really bad sometimes.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 02:18 AM)
Anderson 1/2 and caught stealing. Basto 0/0 with a walk.

re: Anderson, did you notice that the last 2 games he was being use

as a DH only? I hope that he can get more rep at ss to work on his

defense.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
re: Anderson, did you notice that the last 2 games he was being use

as a DH only? I hope that he can get more rep at ss to work on his

defense.

Ya, having Seager on the team ruined his chances of playing there consistently. Seager was on the team last year as well and kinda ruined Semiens chance of playing there consistently as well.

That's one of things about the AFL. Teams are sending some of their best young prospects and a lot of those prospects over lap at positions so they are rotated around so everyone can play. Good thing for the DH.

It does suck for Anderson since he can use the defensive work but at least he is getting some time at SS.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
is there an agreement that the players get rotated around in their position?

Well in this case, when the #13 overall prospect in all of baseball is on the same team and plays the same position as Anderson, it's obvious they're gonna play him (Seager) at SS most/some of the time.

Had either of the 2 been on a different team things would probably be different.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:19 AM)
Well in this case, when the #13 overall prospect in all of baseball is on the same team and plays the same position as Anderson, it's obvious they're gonna play him (Seager) at SS most/some of the time.

Had either of the 2 been on a different team things would probably be different.

what you are saying is based on pure logic. however I remember

many yrs ago, it was agree that players would be rotated around.

to avoid managers playing favorites or team friendly management

preference.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
any info on his defense??

Two errors so far. But no specific scouting reports on it out of AFL yet, at least that I've seen.

Everything I have read indicates he has he right instincts, athleticism and individual actions to make it work, but hasn't put it together yet. Which tells me he should stay there for now at least. The book is still out.

Don't sweat the errors by Anderson. Young guys often make errors on plays that they will eat up a few years down the road. Even Luis Aparicio made well over 30 errors his rookie year, IIRC. He was 21. He had a nice HOF career.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
Don't sweat the errors by Anderson. Young guys often make errors on plays that they will eat up a few years down the road. Even Luis Aparicio made well over 30 errors his rookie year, IIRC. He was 21. He had a nice HOF career.

I am not sweating it. I want Anderson to succeed as much as any. I just like to see

growth.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I am not sweating it. I want Anderson to succeed as much as any. I just like to see

growth.

It's hard to look for growth in a sample size such as this in the area of fielding in that short of a time frame. Something like that will take about a year to see.