Your 2015 Offseason Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
So I asked about this list of players earlier as far as what they could get for a return if packaged:

Conor Gillaspie

Dayan Viciedo

Carlos Sanchez

Micah Johnson

Chris Bassitt

Tyler Danish

Chris Beck

Francellis Montas

And this discussion of these Braves players is an example of why. Could any group of players off that list net the return people are looking for? Or perhaps an interesting group of players from the Reds?

All those players have some trade value, but only Danish, Montas and Johnson have more than a small amount. Beck and Bassitt aren't going to get you anything in the way of a starting player in return individually, but they could be throw-ins to help ice a larger deal. Viciedo, at his salary, has only minimal differential value. Sanchez is probably seen by most as a utility guy, so think in terms of the Eduardo Escobar deal. Gillaspie is a bit of a mystery to me - I'm not sure a team would want him as a long-term starter at 3B, but may be willing to move a prospect or two for him as a short term fill or longer term bench corner IF / PH bat.

Just my take.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)
Exactly. Why would Toronto let him go?

Apparently Torotno is close to or even above their spending limit with the big contracts they already have and would like to try keeping Melky on top of that, so if you're a team looking for a DH and able to take on salary there's at least a tentative fit. However, they're only going to be looking for pre-arb pieces in return.

re: Heyward, you know, this might be a good trade. not only will he

be good in the lineup, but if necessary can leadoff if Eaton gets hurt.

The problem I have is the cost of the trade and it appears as he will

go the free agent route. second, as I mention in the previous sentence

ATL is a very smart, and a difficult trading partner. yeah the sox have

a good beginning of a nice minor league prospects, but would you be willing

to let Anderson go in the trade?

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Apparently Torotno is close to or even above their spending limit with the big

contracts they already have and would like to try keeping Melky on top of that,

so if you're a team looking for a DH and able to take on salary there's at least

a tentative fit. However, they're only going to be looking for pre-arb pieces in return.

I totally agree with you, not only Tor but Sea as well. what will they want

or look for in any trade.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 03:44 AM)
So I asked about this list of players earlier as far as what they could get for a return if packaged:

Conor Gillaspie

Dayan Viciedo

Carlos Sanchez

Micah Johnson

Chris Bassitt

Tyler Danish

Chris Beck

Francellis Montas

And this discussion of these Braves players is an example of why. Could any group of players off that list net the return people are looking for? Or perhaps an interesting group of players from the Reds?

as in my other response to your post, who will be the trading

partner.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
re: Heyward, you know, this might be a good trade. not only will he

be good in the lineup, but if necessary can leadoff if Eaton gets hurt.

The problem I have is the cost of the trade and it appears as he will

go the free route. second, as I mention in the previous sentence

ATL is a very smart, and a difficult trading partner. yeah the sox have

a good beginning of a nice minor league prospects, but would you be willing

to let Anderson go in the trade?

Anderson is untouchable for all but the most premier of players with service control available. Heyward does not have that on his side.

I like Heyward and would give up a lot for the Sox to get him, but if they ask for Anderson, the answer is a quick, flat no.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Anderson is untouchable for all but the most premier of players with service control available. Heyward does not have that on his side.

I like Heyward and would give up a lot for the Sox to get him, but if they ask for Anderson, the answer is a quick, flat no.

I agree but for only 2 yrs of service?

isn't it too much to pay?

So with the Rays GM and Maddon leaving, you think a possible rebuild/fire sale is on its way in TB? This is just pure speculation on my part.

But, I would be interested in Longoria, Cobb, McGee, Jennings and Joyce.

What are your guys thoughts on this? I think out of those, Cobb, McGee, and Joyce make the most sense for this team. Obviously Longoria does, but that would require a huge package of players.

Again, just pure speculation on my part. Stir up conversation again.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
So with the Rays GM and Maddon leaving, you think a possible rebuild/fire sale is on its way in TB? This is just pure speculation on my part.

But, I would be interested in Longoria, Cobb, McGee, Jennings and Joyce.

What are your guys thoughts on this? I think out of those, Cobb, McGee, and Joyce make the most sense for this team. Obviously Longoria does, but that would require a huge package of players.

Again, just pure speculation on my part. Stir up conversation again.

I don't think the Rays would move anyone who is >2 years from free agency.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
I don't know, it mentions his range as the biggest factor and if you've ever seen Heyward in the outfield - through highlights, other video, or in person - that range is legitimately game changing. He has great instincts, runs good routes to balls, and has good speed. His arm isn't anything to scoff at either. I don't think that's really an overestimate, especially when the guy has been a plus-plus fielder for 3 years in a row.

Heyward has really cut his strikeouts too, and he's only going to be 26 next season. I'd give up a small ransom if the Sox traded him. Bring in another outfielder with good range and then play Avisail sparingly out there and the outfield defense is improved an incredible amount.

There is no arguing he is a great outfielder. It's more of an argument against fielding metrics used in WAR, and how much of an impact a RF can have defensively. If you are Boston or SF he has more value in that spot because of park factor. Here, I'd be more interested in a bigger bat if you are going to commit prospects and the financial commitment it would require. And I do think he would cost 1 or 2 of the Sox top prospects. I wouldn't even be against it given the potential that is left in his bat, but I may prefer Upton if it costs less, or just spreading the money and prospects around.

QUOTE (Scubadentist @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
what about bringing in Maddon?.....I'd love to see him replace Robin, but what about as bench coach?....though Parent gets a lot of accolades....

Why on earth would Maddon leave TB to become a bench coach for the White Sox?

This could be something interesting for the Sox.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3h3 hours ago

The Phillies have signaled to some corners of the market that they're going to be ready to deal veterans this winter,and eat money to do it.

Well, s***, Chicago is right in the middle of the market so that's not good news. Sounds promising for the Red Sox, Marlins, Padres and Mariners though.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
as in my other response to your post, who will be the trading

partner.

Whoever you want. For example, a lot of people have mentioned Heyward and Upton, is there a (or several different) combination(s) of players there that could net that return in realistic estimation? Or the Reds, a lot of people have talked about Jay Bruce, and they also have a lot of interesting starters and relievers. Is there a package there that could get, say, Bruce and Latos/Leake? Or, even more (probably impossibly) ambitious, those two and Chapman?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Why on earth would Maddon leave TB to become a bench coach for the White Sox?

He wouldn't. I'm just trying to politely suggest the possibility of Robin getting fired to make room for Maddon..but the Cubs seem to be a more likely option at is point...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)

I don't know, for 1 yr of service. I just don't know.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
This could be something interesting for the Sox.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3h3 hours ago

The Phillies have signaled to some corners of the market that they're going to be ready to deal veterans this winter,and eat money to do it.

so, here is the question for all. which veteran player does Philly want to get rid of

that they will eat some contract. R. Howard, and who else. D. Brown.

any opinions.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
May not make a bad #2 hitter, but definitely not giving up a Top 10 prospect for him.

Let's see, would I trade Carlos Sanchez for Heyward? You got it. What about Matt Davidson? Sign me up! You want Courtney Hawkins too? Ok, no problem. You want all 3 for Heyward? Done deal!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
I wonder if a team was willing to take on Ryan Howard, if the Phillies would be willing to give away Cliff Lee with him, and include another real piece.

I would imagine that 2 of there starting pitchers may be on that list.