**Official 2014 World Series Thread**

flavum

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
I've never handled firearms, but wouldn't you clean it empty?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
Jose ain't the sharpest knife in . . . the place where they keep the knives.

You guys need to pay attention to the news more. That kinda stuff happens all the time in this country.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)
I have a feeling Eric Hosmer is the biggest douche ever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 03:32 AM)
Bingo on Hosmer being a dick. He and Moustakas are very rude, mean individuals. I better add IMO lest I get in trouble. I know people that have had run-ins. Billy Butler on the other hand ... gem of a person.

Very much related.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/learning-the-...-the-clubhouse/

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)

They were immature jerks without a doubt. The writer also was incredibly unprepared. You memorize their groundball rates, their walk rates, at least study who the heck they are. I still have never heard or read an interview with a player where they are discussing these types of things. It would be interesting to see how many players think much about it. There have been stories that front office guys have said sabermetrics have really changed how some players operate, it would be interesting to read.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
They were immature jerks without a doubt. The writer also was incredibly unprepared. You memorize their groundball rates, their walk rates, at least study who the heck they are. I still have never heard or read an interview with a player where they are discussing these types of things. It would be interesting to see how many players think much about it. There have been stories that front office guys have said sabermetrics have really changed how some players operate, it would be interesting to read.

I definitely agree, and Eno being unprepared is frankly unprofessional on his part too and he admitted that, and that incident actually helped him grow.

Still, I view it as a kid who toughens up and becomes a better person because he was bullied. It happens, but we don't justify the bullying.

He should read the Lucas Mann book about the Clinton LumberKings season about 3-4 years ago and the way Nick Franklin treated him as a "geeky" writer who didn't really know much about the game and how to approach a conversation about it.

With the explosion of sabremetrics, there's just a ton of non-athletes who think they understand the sport but just can't speak the lingo and try to be clever/cool. Hosmer and Moustakas have had so much pressure on them since the time they were drafted, and they haven't lived up to that pressure for the most part, with a few exceptions (Hosmer's rookie season, a Gold Glove, Moustakas had one pretty good season and this year was abysmal). You're already going to be wary of "armchair QB's" who think they've figured you out from reading numbers on a data sheet but couldn't hit a BP fastball if you gave them 100 swings.

Part of the mistake was not doing his homework and being able to tell the difference between Hosmer and Moustakas...and until he understood it or it was explained to him (the Greek joke), Hosmer probably had no clue what the writer was talking about and thought he was trying to be too cute/glib.

Hosmer and Moustakas have been a LOT more media friendly this post-season, they've matured a lot and have become much more personable and better interviews. They will never rival White, Brett, Saberhagen....or even Alex Gordon, but Hosmer's really well-liked by kids. Moustakas is a bit touchier, harder to approach, he's been carrying around a lot of expectations since the time he was drafted, and he hasn't lived up to them (not unlike Gordon Beckham, not unlike Alex Gordon until he vacated George Brett's position). Every player reacts differently.

But that kind of "fraternity brother" reaction happens in every clubhouse/locker room in America to writers who aren't exactly sure how to talk to professional athletes but find themselves with a media credential.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
He should read the Lucas Mann book about the Clinton LumberKings season about 3-4 years ago and the way Nick Franklin treated him as a "geeky" writer who didn't really know much about the game and how to approach a conversation about it.

With the explosion of sabremetrics, there's just a ton of non-athletes who think they understand the sport but just can't speak the lingo and try to be clever/cool. Hosmer and Moustakas have had so much pressure on them since the time they were drafted, and they haven't lived up to that pressure for the most part, with a few exceptions (Hosmer's rookie season, a Gold Glove, Moustakas had one pretty good season and this year was abysmal). You're already going to be wary of "armchair QB's" who think they've figured you out from reading numbers on a data sheet but couldn't hit a BP fastball if you gave them 100 swings.

Part of the mistake was not doing his homework and being able to tell the difference between Hosmer and Moustakas...and until he understood it or it was explained to him (the Greek joke), Hosmer probably had no clue what the writer was talking about and thought he was trying to be too cute/glib.

Hosmer and Moustakas have been a LOT more media friendly this post-season, they've matured a lot and have become much more personable and better interviews. They will never rival White, Brett, Saberhagen....or even Alex Gordon, but Hosmer's really well-liked by kids. Moustakas is a bit touchier, harder to approach, he's been carrying around a lot of expectations since the time he was drafted, and he hasn't lived up to them (not unlike Gordon Beckham, not unlike Alex Gordon until he vacated George Brett's position). Every player reacts differently.

But that kind of "fraternity brother" reaction happens in every clubhouse/locker room in America to writers who aren't exactly sure how to talk to professional athletes but find themselves with a media credential.

Immaturity, whatever it was, there really is no reason to treat a guy like that, I thought describing it as bullying is very accurate, but he obviously comes in there with all these questions yet it appears he's never even watched any of them play. He didn't appear to know who anyone was. If you are going to get credentials to access these players, and are willing to study Fangraphs in an attempt to "understand" their playing ability, why not watch a few games? To me, that is just as inexcusable.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Who do you guys have tonight and do you think it'll over/under 7 runs?

I'll take the Royals and the over. Which means, of course . . .

It is my sister's b-day today, and she got a ticket to the game as a gift from one pretty damn generous friend.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm calling it, Giants win 1-0.boom

Guess we can throw that one out already.

Yost, as predicted, brings in Herrera in the 4th to try to preserve the 2-2 tie. Affeldt will get Moustakas and then probably get pulled in the bottom half...not sure who the Giants will use next. Not Strickland or Machi. Might be Petit again.

Edited by caulfield12