**Official 2014 World Series Thread**

flavum

But seriously, why were all the Royals hitters swinging for the fences? Hosmer wanted to tie it up both times he went to the plate.

Here, Eric, let me put this into perspective for you, BRO: in the regular season this year, when Madison Bumgarner was only really, really good instead of a damn unhittable demon god, he faced 187 lefties and allowed 1 home run. That means that when lefties went to the plate, they had a 0.53% chance of hitting a home run. Those are not very good odds.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3B coach definitely should have sent Gordon. He would have been tagged out at home, but since Buster Posey is not playing against the White Sox, he would have been called for blocking the baseline and the run would have counted.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I'm not sure Gordon makes it, but that would have been an exciting way to end the season or keep it going.

Given Perez's inability to lay off the high fastball, hoping for an errant throw by the SS may have been a more likely outcome than a base hit.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
Given Perez's inability to lay off the high fastball, hoping for an errant throw by the SS may have been a more likely outcome than a base hit.

Perez was lovin those 92 mph fastballs at eye level. He was just never going to hit one. I think he got lucky even making contact.

Can someone please explain to me why (other than arguably deserved media slurping) Mad Bum was briefly credited with last night's "win?" I think the rules are absolutely clear that it should have gone to Affeldt who pitched 2+ shut out innings and was the pitcher of record when SF took the lead for good. In that scenario, there is no room for the official scorer discretion that can enter the picture when a starter doesn't go 5.

Joe Buck can sometimes be an idiot, but after first acknowledging MB's "5 inning save," he later announced "word from the official scorer" that he was credited with the W. Later, ESPN announced a "scoring change" giving it to Affeldt. WTF?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
Can someone please explain to me why (other than arguably deserved media slurping) Mad Bum was briefly credited with last night's "win?" I think the rules are absolutely clear that it should have gone to Affeldt who pitched 2+ shut out innings and was the pitcher of record when SF took the lead for good. In that scenario, there is no room for the official scorer discretion that can enter the picture when a starter doesn't go 5.

Joe Buck can sometimes be an idiot, but after first acknowledging MB's "5 inning save," he later announced "word from the official scorer" that he was credited with the W. Later, ESPN announced a "scoring change" giving it to Affeldt. WTF?

I think the official scorer got caught up in the Bumgarner hype. The official scorer can only make the change on pitcher of record, if the pitcher was "ineffective in a brief appearance" according to the official rule. Affeldt was neither ineffective nor brief, so he obviously deserved the win.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
I think the official scorer got caught up in the Bumgarner hype. The official scorer can only make the change on pitcher of record, if the pitcher was "ineffective in a brief appearance" according to the official rule. Affeldt was neither ineffective nor brief, so he obviously deserved the win.

That was my take on it, too, but that doesn't reflect well on him as a supposed professional, whoever he is.

So what have we learned?

A team with one good starting pitcher (Sale listening?) can win the World Series.

But they did have a good bullpen, very good DEFENSE and some grinders who are willing to hit to the opposite field.

How the hell are the Giants champions?

What have we learned from KC?

A team with great team speed, amazing defense, fantastic bullpen and average starting pitching can win the AL. As far as starters they had two good starters (Shields, Ventura), two hacks who are smart and know how to win games in the Central (Guthrie, Vargas) and one decent starter (Duffy). The bullpen is so good it's scary. The manager didn't exactly use the team speed in the WS as much as the playoffs.

There were a lot of World Series oddities. How bout this one?

Can you believe the two stiffs who started Game 7 of a WS? Guthrie vs. Hudson?? Seriously, that's like starting some of the No. 5 guys the Sox have been trotting out there, like Carroll. Baseball is one, crazy sport.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
So what have we learned?

A team with one good starting pitcher (Sale listening?) can win the World Series.

But they did have a good bullpen, very good DEFENSE and some grinders who are willing to hit to the opposite field.

How the hell are the Giants champions?

What have we learned from KC?

A team with great team speed, amazing defense, fantastic bullpen and average starting pitching can win the AL. As far as starters they had two good starters (Shields, Ventura), two hacks who are smart and know how to win games in the Central (Guthrie, Vargas) and one decent starter (Duffy). The bullpen is so good it's scary. The manager didn't exactly use the team speed in the WS as much as the playoffs.

There were a lot of World Series oddities. How bout this one?

Can you believe the two stiffs who started Game 7 of a WS? Guthrie vs. Hudson?? Seriously, that's like starting some of the No. 5 guys the Sox have been trotting out there, like Carroll. Baseball is one, crazy sport.

Just a reminder, Tim Hudson, while old, has won 214 games in his career with an ERA of 3.45. He posted a 3.57 ERA this year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 10:24 PM)
Just a reminder, Tim Hudson, while old, has won 214 games in his career with an ERA of 3.45. He posted a 3.57 ERA this year.

Either he was completely out of gas in the WS or he's finished, cause he looked like he was throwing batting practice pitching vs. KC.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Really? It felt like they went right after his overaggressiveness to me

That's how you pitch to a lot of the Royals' hitters. Cain, Perez, and Escobar love swinging at high pitches.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
That's how you pitch to a lot of the Royals' hitters. Cain, Perez, and Escobar love swinging at high pitches.

That's why Harold Reynolds dropped the "You can't walk off the island" line about Perez in game 1. (Never mind that he is from Venezuela.)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)
That's why Harold Reynolds dropped the "You can't walk off the island" line about Perez in game 1. (Never mind that he is from Venezuela.)

You can't walk from Venezuela either. ;)

• 2 weeks later...