Joe Maddon to manage Cubs

cabiness42

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has to be something up. Why would he opt out and not just play it out? IMO, he knows where he is going. If the Dodgers say not to them, it has to be the Cubs or Tigers IMO, and You have to think in 2 or 3 years, if not sooner, Detroit is going to be a trainwreck.

The Cubs are a little ahead of where the Rays were when he took over, so that seems almost too perfect.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Royals win the World Series and the Cubs hire Joe Maddon? I think I'm done with you baseball.

I was petrified when the Cubs hired Larry Himes. Then was petrified when the brought in Andy McFail, Dusty Baker, and Lou Piniella. Always remember, it is the Cubs. If Maddon does end up there, chances are when it is all said and done, he will be known for his work in Tampa, not Chicago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Welcome back to the bottom of MLB Tampa.

Why? Still have the young pitching staff intact for a few more seasons.

Never got the feel that Maddon was going to be here for more than a couple of seasons and that was before departure a couple of weeks ago. Just glad Martinez hasn't been scooped up yet as a manager.

People overrate managers anyways. The very best managers might only win your team a handful of games at most versus the worst managers. Just look at who has led their teams to the World Series past few years. Ned Yost this year and Farrell last year.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Why? Still have the young pitching staff intact for a few more seasons.

Never got the feel that Maddon was going to be here for more than a couple of seasons and that was before departure a couple of weeks ago. Just glad Martinez hasn't been scooped up yet as a manager.

People overrate managers anyways. The very best managers might only win your team a handful of games at most versus the worst managers. Just look at who has led their teams to the World Series past few years. Ned Yost this year and Farrell last year.

They can be decent, but playoff material seems to be a longshot. Meyers should be a lot better, but guys like Zobrist are trendiing down, and that division is tough. They really haven't drafted anyone decent since David Price. One thing Freidman did there better than anyone, was pick guys off the scrap heap. He almost always picked up comtributors for peanuts. Now that he is gone, if the next guy is just average at that, the Rays are going to be drafting high.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
They can be decent, but playoff material seems to be a longshot. Meyers should be a lot better, but guys like Zobrist are trendiing down, and that division is tough. They really haven't brought up anyone decent since David Price. One thing Freidman did there better than anyone, was pick guys off the scrap heap. He almost always picked up comtributors for peanuts. Now that he is gone, if the next guy is just average at that, the Rays are going to be drafting high.

I'll be shocked if Zobrist is brought back at $7M next season. Trade him and start Franklin. Heis 23 and basically Zobrist-lite at a much lesser salary. I'd also ship Jennings out too.

Not like they're going to spend a lot of money on FA but with Price off the books and hopefully Zobrist off too, maybe sign a veteran bat or two to a short term contract.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
I feel bad for Renteria if they grab Maddon. Terrible way to lose your first managerial job

Yeah, but he was never gonna be the manager of the next Cubs playoff team. He was always just a stopgap, hope he realized that when he took the job.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
I was petrified when the Cubs hired Larry Himes. Then was petrified when the brought in Andy McFail, Dusty Baker, and Lou Piniella. Always remember, it is the Cubs. If Maddon does end up there, chances are when it is all said and done, he will be known for his work in Tampa, not Chicago.

Ehh. I hate these arguments. Just because it's the way it has always been doesn't mean that it's destined to remain that way. Would be a tremendous hire.

https://www.facebook.com/kenrosenthalsports...742495682482832

Ken Rosenthal

20 mins · Facebook Mentions ·

Just talked to Joe Maddon.

He told me that after Andrew Friedman resigned, he had a two-week window to decide whether to exercise opt-out. He was unaware of specifics until Rays' Matt Silverman informed him.

I asked him specifically about Cubs. He said, "I don't know. I have to talk to people. I have interest everywhere right now. I've got to hear what everyone has to say."

Asked him if he would sit out a year. He said, "I'd love to manage. If the right opportunity does not present itself, I would want to work. But I would hope it would be a managing position. If not, there are other things I can do that would make me an even better manager when I get the opportunity again."

Asked if it was uncomfortable for him to have his agent, Alan Nero, contacting teams with managers already under contract. He said, "For me, it's not my responsibility to think for other organizations. I'm controlling what I can. I had this two-week window of opportunity. It's about myself, my family, my charities. At the end of the day, I would never ask or tell an organization what to do. That's not my business."

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
Ehh. I hate these arguments. Just because it's the way it has always been doesn't mean that it's destined to remain that way. Would be a tremendous hire.

Jeff Torborg won 94 games in 1990 with a team with the lowest payroll in baseball. After the next season, the GM himted he should take another job. The reason TB won 90+ games several years in a row wasn' because Maddon was making out the line up card. If the Cubs have the players to be good, they will win whether it is Renteria or Maddon calling the shots.

Managers don't make 20 game differences in the record. If they did, Tampa Bay would have given him whatever he wanted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 1h1 hour ago

Ozzie Guillen still wants to manage, and Tampa Bay is as good of a fit as any. He played for Rays in 2000 before retiring

You would have to think Dave Martinez gets that job. If not, he might as well stop interviewing.

Edited by Dick Allen

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 39m39 minutes ago

The more I hear from sources who have spoken with #Rays more convinced I am that there was almost no offer that could have kept Maddon there

If Maddon ends up where it appears he'll end up, it'll be interesting to see how #Rays respond. Something changed tone of talks in last week

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 39m39 minutes ago

The more I hear from sources who have spoken with #Rays more convinced I am that there was almost no offer that could have kept Maddon there

If Maddon ends up where it appears he'll end up, it'll be interesting to see how #Rays respond. Something changed tone of talks in last week

The cubs may lose a 10th round draft pick in 2020