Joe Maddon to manage Cubs

cabiness42

Oh boy does this have the potential to be messy!

"Yet, even if baseball could prove that tampering occurred, what type of penalty would even be appropriate? This is where it gets interesting. The Rays could claim that the Cubs’ actions caused Maddon to opt out — and demand a player as compensation. A good player, too, considering that the Cubs value Maddon enough to give him what is certain to be a monster contract. Think Javier Baez. Or Addison Russell."

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/joe-mad...-with-it-103114

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
Oh boy does this have the potential to be messy!

"Yet, even if baseball could prove that tampering occurred, what type of penalty would even be appropriate? This is where it gets interesting. The Rays could claim that the Cubs’ actions caused Maddon to opt out — and demand a player as compensation. A good player, too, considering that the Cubs value Maddon enough to give him what is certain to be a monster contract. Think Javier Baez. Or Addison Russell."

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/joe-mad...-with-it-103114

Rosenthal loves those website hits, eh? There's a better chance of Jesus joining your for dinner tonight then that happening. This is nothing but sour grapes from the Rays and Maddon had an opt out clause and they were caught off guard that he used it. I don't think it has anything to do with the Cubs, they'd have been pissed regardless of where he went (Cubs, White Sox, Mets, Dodgers, etc). They lost a top GM and top manager in a matter of 2-3 weeks, they don't have the up and coming talent they once did and there has been no progress of a new stadium deal to keep the team in Tampa. Dark days ahead for the Rays.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Rosenthal loves those website hits, eh? There's a better chance of Jesus joining your for dinner tonight then that happening. This is nothing but sour grapes from the Rays and Maddon had an opt out clause and they were caught off guard that he used it. I don't think it has anything to do with the Cubs, they'd have been pissed regardless of where he went (Cubs, White Sox, Mets, Dodgers, etc). They lost a top GM and top manager in a matter of 2-3 weeks, they don't have the up and coming talent they once did and there has been no progress of a new stadium deal to keep the team in Tampa. Dark days ahead for the Rays.

Won't happen but man it'd be hysterical if the Rays somehow got Bryant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 2m2 minutes ago

Joe Maddon’s 5-year $25 million dollar deal with the Cubs is also loaded with incentive bonuses and an opt clause according to a club source

Five million a year is not that much really. College basketball coaches at the elite programs are making as much or more than that. Ditto college football. And this is the pros, the national pastime.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
Five million a year is not that much really. College basketball coaches at the elite programs are making as much or more than that. Ditto college football. And this is the pros, the national pastime.

Yeah but the college market is rigged since the players don't get paid for the money they generate. at the professional level they do, so that's $25 million that can't go to players. In college, that $25 million would just be money spent on something wasteful like education.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
If he wins the World Series, he will have the city eating out the palm of his hand. A lot of people already are.

It's incredibly annoying already. I cant even count how many times I've heard him referred to as the best manager in baseball in the last week.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
It's incredibly annoying already. I cant even count how many times I've heard him referred to as the best manager in baseball in the last week.

If I could have any manager in baseball, it would be Joe Maddon.

That being said, I still realize how little influence managers have. They basically acquired the best bench player in baseball. Yeah, he's the best at what he does, but what he does is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
If I could have any manager in baseball, it would be Joe Maddon.

That being said, I still realize how little influence managers have. They basically acquired the best bench player in baseball. Yeah, he's the best at what he does, but what he does is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

I'll take Bochy over him personally. He's a top 5, but I have a hard time saying he's the best.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-185956282.html

Maddon went back to Ray with counter-offer but they weren't willing to make him one of the five highest paid managers in baseball...were willing to increase from $1.8 to $3 million.

According to this article, Scioscia, Girardi, Francona and Showalter ($2.6-2.9 million) were the four highest paid managers in 2014, with Maddon fifth (somehow) and Mattingly 6th.

Not sure what other managers would be #4-5 in 2015 that Maddon and his agent are saying he wouldn't have been paid in the TOP FIVE with a $3 million salary.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/the-6-h...html/?a=viewall

Leyland and Dusty Baker were in the $3-3.5 million range...Torre was making $7.5 million per season with the Yankees before he retired.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
It's obviously everywhere because it's the Cubs but it'd get a lot of play if the White Sox did it. For sure it would. Many shows in town on radio would cover it.

I didn't say it wouldn't be covered.

If the Sox made this move, it would have been reported, that's it.

Waddle & Silvy devoted the first two hours of Fridays show (while they were at the UC for Bulls/Cavs) to Joe Maddon coverage. Monday started with the press conference and Joe Maddon ball washing for a good portion of the remaining show.

It may turn out to be a great move. It's a move they had to make. If the Sox did it, it would be a blip in media coverage.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I didn't say it wouldn't be covered.

If the Sox made this move, it would have been reported, that's it.

Waddle & Silvy devoted the first two hours of Fridays show (while they were at the UC for Bulls/Cavs) to Joe Maddon coverage. Monday started with the press conference and Joe Maddon ball washing for a good portion of the remaining show.

It may turn out to be a great move. It's a move they had to make. If the Sox did it, it would be a blip in media coverage.

Sox fans need to get over the inferiority complex. There are WAY more Cub fans out there. Those Cub fans buy WAY more tickets and merchandise than Sox fans do. Of course the Cubs get more coverage. It is the same reason that teams like Boston and NYY get talked about ad naseum. They have assloads more fans than we do. It isn't about the team, it is about the money to be made off of the team. They may well have talked about the Cubs for two hours, and that is solely because Cub fans are calling and listening to every second they can absorb about Maddon right now. Even if they talked Sox right now, no one would listen when compared to how many Cub fans would listen to more stuff about them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
http://www.bleachernation.com/2014/10/30/t...ering-troubles/

Unlikely that a player would go to the Rays...as this possible tampering situation is MUCH under much different circumstances

So, he refused the extension – citing in part the desire to see what his value was on the open market because he and his agent knew it was high, wherever he went – and opted out. Lots of job offers came in immediately. If the Cubs were the best one and it happened quickly because they had to resolve things with their current manager, that doesn’t prove anything.

Maybe someone else did but I didn't hear of a single other team offering Maddon a job.

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 50m50 minutes ago

MLB Department of Investigation, same group that looked into A-Rod, are investigating tampering charges #Cubs #Rays

Very difficult to prove tampering charges but heard #Rays execs were furious how Maddon exited insisted that MLB look into this #Cubs