Guess the first offseason trade

Jerksticks

If I wrote this already in another thread, sorry for doing it twice. I wish

there was a sox catch all.

yesterday I was reading on mlb rumors that the Phillies are looking to trade

Howard and will be willing to eat a big portion of his salary.

2 questions. does anyone think he will be a good pickup for the sox and

does anyone know what kind of shoulder injury he has?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
If I wrote this already in another thread, sorry for doing it twice. I wish

there was a sox catch all.

yesterday I was reading on mlb rumors that the Phillies are looking to trade

Howard and will be willing to eat a big portion of his salary.

2 questions. does anyone think he will be a good pickup for the sox and

does anyone know what kind of shoulder injury he has?

Here's the thread where everyone agrees he would be a terrible pickup.

https://us-mg204.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?...kdc0v#162121782

A.Ramirez for Shane Greene

Shelby Miller for CarGo (you can probably forget the Rockies dealing him for John Danks if that's the asking price)

Justin Upton for Johnny Cueto

Cespedes (this makes a LOT of sense because Boston wants to trade him, and relationship with agents and Cano in SEA already) for Taijuan Walker or Paxton

Starlin Castro for Zack Wheeler (Alexei Ramirez isn't quite enough to get Wheeler apparently)

Edited by caulfield12

Alright, I'm buying into the Alexei for Greene rumor. NY needs a SS and the Sox could use a young, cost controlled ground ball, right handed pitcher like Greene. It just makes sense. Call me crazy but 6 years of team control over a pitcher like that sounds pretty damn good to me, sign me up.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:08 AM)
Alright, I'm buying into the Alexei for Greene rumor. NY needs a SS and the Sox could use a young, cost controlled ground ball, right handed pitcher like Greene. It just makes sense. Call me crazy but 6 years of team control over a pitcher like that sounds pretty damn good to me, sign me up.

ny has to include more to the deal.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)
ny has to include more to the deal.

I think the best the Sox could hope for is JR Murphy or a prospect of equal value. I cannot say it enough, Alexei does not have the value people would like to think he has.

Put it this way. If I were looking for a SS, I would not be willing to give up too much for Alexei for reasons I've already listed in this thread. Honestly, I'm not so sure I'd give up Greene for Alexei straight up.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:10 AM)
I think the best the Sox could hope for is JR Murphy or a prospect of equal value. I cannot say it enough, Alexei does not have the value people would like to think he has.

Put it this way. If I were looking for a SS, I would not be willing to give up too much for Alexei for reasons I've already listed in this thread. Honestly, I'm not so sure I'd give up Greene for Alexei straight up.

You've probably stated your reasons elsewhere, but please reiterate why you think Alexei does not have the value, which many of us perceive.

He is durable, provides Gold Glove caliber defense with great range and a canon for an arm. Offensively, he is a run producer, with a little pop, and a stolen base threat.

And, he is signed to a reasonable contract for 2 more years. Hey, if other GM's don't see the value, keep him. He certainly has great value to the Sox!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 07:10 AM)

you may be right but I don't agree. Murphy is a young prospects, is he rated no, is there

a chance he will not make a productive career, yes.

yet is this a fair compensation for a AS SS, good glove, nice real nice bat and cost control

for 2 yrs with an option of a third.

teams play a lot for players who are in the final yr of there contract to help the team out.

Alexei will most assuredly be helping the yank while the yanks find a replacement.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 06:01 AM)
you may be right but I don't agree. Murphy is a young prospects, is he rated no, is there

a chance he will not make a productive career, yes.

yet is this a fair compensation for a AS SS, good glove, nice real nice bat and cost control

for 2 yrs with an option of a third.

teams play a lot for players who are in the final yr of there contract to help the team out.

Alexei will most assuredly be helping the yank while the yanks find a replacement.

2015 and then affordable 2016 club option.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:10 AM)

Then he shouldn't be traded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)

Exactly. We have him under control for the next two years for less than the market price of Michael Cuddyer. We have no reason to have to deal Alexei. Either you get an offer that blows you away, or you bring him back in 2015 and then again in 2016.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Exactly. We have him under control for the next two years for less than the market price of Michael Cuddyer. We have no reason to have to deal Alexei. Either you get an offer that blows you away, or you bring him back in 2015 and then again in 2016.

Agreed

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)

That depends on what the plan is for 2015. If the Sox are really trying to contend then there's no way I would trade Alexei but if 2015 is another step towards building a contender, I trade Alexei while he still holds value and can bring back a good return, provided the Sox get a good offer in the first place.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
i have been looking through the threads to see if the old reliables Bucket and/or Rock have posted any tips as to possible moves we may be looking into but have not found anything. have they dropped in for any hints the last week or so??

Yes, they said the Sox are interested in acquiring good players.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
That depends on what the plan is for 2015. If the Sox are really trying to contend then there's no way I would trade Alexei but if 2015 is another step towards building a contender, I trade Alexei while he still holds value and can bring back a good return, provided the Sox get a good offer in the first place.

There's no way the White Sox aren't going to be trying to field a competitive team by 2016, and IMO no way Tim Anderson should be starting on the big league roster in 2016. If they're going to trade Alexei it has to be a killer offer. Letting him go is a major setback for building a competitive team, so someone needs to really pay up.

It's not a perfect comparison, but to give a little context, over the past 2 years, Alexei has put up 6.4 fWAR, Jeff Samardzija put up 6.7. Alexei is paid more, but he's also under team control for longer than Samardzija was when he was traded for.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)

You're contradicting yourself, but you're right with this post. Alexei actually has a lot of value as others have explained. Mainly due to him being one of the better defensive shortstops in the game AND the fact that he's relatively cheap for the next two years. Personally, I'd like to see the Sox hold onto him. Like you stated above, if the Sox want to contend in 2015, they don't have a better option in house to replace Alexei. Unless some team offers something that Hahn cannot refuse, I don't think he's going anywhere. If the Sox have a bad 1st half (and we all hope that doesn't happen), Alexei could be traded at the deadline...and there will be plenty of teams interested.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
i have been looking through the threads to see if the old reliables Bucket and/or Rock have posted any tips as to possible moves we may be looking into but have not found anything. have they dropped in for any hints the last week or so??

Rock said that the Sox were never going to 4 years with VMart.