July 2nd (2015) prospects

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
esse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 1h1 hour ago

Teenager Vlad Guerrero Jr. won't be able to sign until July 2 but sources say Angels, Mets & Blue Jays have already shown serious interest.

excatly and there are a couple more of key players that can

be sign around that time.

the CBA will not come up for renewal and many teams have

until Dec of 2016 to take advantage of the loop hole.

that is why i am dieing to know when Moan and Jose Fernadez

gets posted, before or after.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
esse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 1h1 hour ago

Teenager Vlad Guerrero Jr. won't be able to sign until July 2 but sources say Angels, Mets & Blue Jays have already shown serious interest.

There have been other suggestions that the Cubs basically have him locked up too.

If anyone hasn't seen video of him, it's incredible how similar his swing is to his father's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
There have been other suggestions that the Cubs basically have him locked up too.

If anyone hasn't seen video of him, it's incredible how similar his swing is to his father's.

the sox rep has always been to be above board, maybe it was more

emphasized with the wilder corruptions. either way, the way

this team has almost turned itself around, and with the CBA coming

to a renewal / redo, the sox may overspend..

this will be a fast way to rebuild the farm system. just like the yanks

did last yr and the sCrubs did a couple of yrs ago.

JR in all honesty will not do that. but it will be nice

[/quote

The fact that he won't sign until July 2nd follows that theory that the Cubs already have him agreed upon, because they currently can't sign anyone significant until July 2nd hits.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
The fact that he won't sign until July 2nd follows that theory that the Cubs already have him agreed upon, because they currently can't sign anyone significant until July 2nd hits.

Vlad Jr can't sign until July 2.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
Chili quoted you funny I understood your post. His argument seemed to be, "since he can't sign until July 2nd, that follows the theory that the Cubs will get him" perhaps not.

yeah but many things can happen between now and then.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:21 AM)
Vlad Jr. supposed to sign with Toronto

Kiley McDaniel

‏@kileymcd

As I hinted in Oct http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouting-th...-2nd-prospects/ … intl sources expect 16 y/o Vlad Guerrero Jr to sign July 2 w/TOR for $3.2M

an interesting article concerning Vlad jr.

http://www.bluejaysplus.com/vladimir-guerr...5.inHXbgBV.dpbs

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
I say sign a bunch of guys on the cheap and go for Moncada.

IMO if this was me, i would sign all i can either this yr or next. i would

sacrifice the ability to sign anymore for a period if it can really jumpstart

the system. we need players / prospects. look at what the yanks did and

the reason, to put viable prospect in the systems.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
IMO if this was me, i would sign all i can either this yr or next. i would

sacrifice the ability to sign anymore for a period if it can really jumpstart

the system. we need players / prospects. look at what the yanks did and

the reason, to put viable prospect in the systems.

If Moncada gets a $10 million bonus (which is probably really low), not only does that turn into a $20 million obligation by the time the taxes are paid, but it also means that we lose the ability to sign any players in the international pool for two full years afterwards. When you are talking about that age of players, do you bet on one guy, or do you put that $20 million to work on a lot of players over the three year period if you are the White Sox?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
If Moncada gets a $10 million bonus (which is probably really low), not only does that turn into a $20 million obligation by the time the taxes are paid, but it also means that we lose the ability to sign any players in the international pool for two full years afterwards. When you are talking about that age of players, do you bet on one guy, or do you put that $20 million to work on a lot of players over the three year period if you are the White Sox?

well Moncada is a unique situation. but lets assume for this discussion this is the player. it all depends on the signing date. ok lets say it is next yr, the fees and the penalty are there. that is a given. that still will not hamper or stop signing all the int'l players you can that yr.. so you load up on talented players go over the slot signing. it is still the same penalty.

now here is the wild card. this int'l rule is going to be address and maybe be done with, this was discuss as maybe the yr after next. it is still a good gamble that the penalty will not affect the team. however lets say it does, the sox system will have a major influx of prospects to help the rebuild goes faster.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
well Moncada is a unique situation. but lets assume for this discussion this is the player. it all depends on the signing date. ok lets say it is next yr, the fees and the penalty are there. that is a given. that still will not hamper or stop signing all the int'l players you can that yr.. so you load up on talented players go over the slot signing. it is still the same penalty.

now here is the wild card. this int'l rule is going to be address and maybe be done with, this was discuss as maybe the yr after next. it is still a good gamble that the penalty will not affect the team. however lets say it does, the sox system will have a major influx of prospects to help the rebuild goes faster.

But the $20 million will stop us from spending. Remember, even last year with the #3 pick in the draft we spent less than $15 million on all of our draft players AND the international players... combined. The Sox are not that team. If they spent that kind of money on Moncada, they would take the money either out of future budgets or out of the major league team budget.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
But the $20 million will stop us from spending. Remember, even last year with the #3 pick in the draft we spent less than $15 million on all of our draft players AND the international players... combined. The Sox are not that team. If they spent that kind of money on Moncada, they would take the money either out of future budgets or out of the major league team budget.

yeah but here is another question, would you spend that for a young Jose A, a young Trout??? also Vlad jr is avail for the signing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
yeah but here is another question, would you spend that for a young Jose A, a young Trout??? also Vlad jr is avail for the signing.

At age 19, there is still a HUGE number of questions for just about every player that isn't a once in a generation player. Moncada is not that guy. Reading the scout talk, he wouldn't even have been the #1 pick if he had been in the MLB draft last year. You are putting down $20 million, punting on years worth of signings, and still not 100% positive the kid will be a star.

It wasn't that long ago that Michael Ynoa was considered to be a future ace with a limitless future. He's a pitcher, so there was more inherent risk, but hitters can bust just as easily.

In a situation like that, ESPECIALLY a situation like that, spreading out your risk is the far safer and more logical move [unless you have a virtually limitless amount of monetary resources].

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:57 PM)
At age 19, there is still a HUGE number of questions for just about every player that isn't a once in a generation player. Moncada is not that guy. Reading the scout talk, he wouldn't even have been the #1 pick if he had been in the MLB draft last year. You are putting down $20 million, punting on years worth of signings, and still not 100% positive the kid will be a star.

wooow there. i think i read that he would have been top 3 in the mlb draft. this was done by, i think someone in baseball america or something like that. that is why i am really on signing him and been mentioning that he was equivalent to a real high draft pick. i would not have taken this stand if not. maybe i misread this.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)

24 teams didn't think Mike Trout was worth a first round pick. The Yankees gave up their first round pick, the one that turned into Trout, for Teixeira. How do you pick out the next Mike Trout with certainty?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
It wasn't that long ago that Michael Ynoa was considered to be a future ace with a limitless future. He's a pitcher, so there was more inherent risk, but hitters can bust just as easily.

In a situation like that, ESPECIALLY a situation like that, spreading out your risk is the far safer and more logical move [unless you have a virtually limitless amount of monetary resources].

i know what you mean, like yoan lopez was mention in the same breath as Aroldis Chapman, and that was b/c of his fastball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)
24 teams didn't think Mike Trout was worth a first round pick. The Yankees gave up their first round pick, the one that turned into Trout, for Teixeira. How do you pick out the next Mike Trout with certainty?

you can't and that is the point. it is all a gamble and that is why you sign players whether it is for the int'l slot money or for mlb draft money. you hope that maybe the scouting rpt is correct and your coaches can develop a piece of coal into a diamond. not to spend b/c it is too much, esp when you have the money, is senseless. "only if the fans comes out then we will spend"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)

That's not true. 24 teams though the players they selected were more worthy of a first-round pick than Trout. But that's not to say those teams did not value him as a first-round pick altogether.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)

And make a bet that this guy is better than everyone you could sign for the next 2 to 3 years.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
you can't and that is the point. it is all a gamble and that is why you sign players whether it is for the int'l slot money or for mlb draft money. you hope that maybe the scouting rpt is correct and your coaches can develop a piece of coal into a diamond. not to spend b/c it is too much, esp when you have the money, is senseless. "only if the fans comes out then we will spend"

But you're willing to throw all that away to sign a single guy?