MLB Rumors predicts Sox sign

Soxfest

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man Victor declined a 15 million dollar qualifying offer? Again, I don't give a flying f*** about Jerry's wallet, but I'd hate to get saddled with another Dunn. Now I realize Victor had an AMAZING season. Do the Sox risk it, however. He could become Pujols. He certainly could flop rather quickly.

He'd look good in the Sox lineup obviously and would seem a good fit in the Cell. He'll like hitting in there.

The question is ... do the Sox pay him that kinda jack? 16-20 million a year? Wowsie.

Is Colby Rasmus any good? He got benched last season all of September.

Luke G seems like he's another guy to try in the pen. My love or hatred of him will depend on how he does in a Sox uniform. I'm not going to fall for any hype on relief pitchers.

As far as I'm concerned, the White Sox have enough $ to sign any free agent. This would limit the price tag of other additions obviously, but our payroll can take on any contract. Not saying it is smart to do so, but it could be done.

Out of that MLBTR list these players would fit on our team nicely. Cost will be up to debate, but purely from a baseball standpoint, and the fact that we could sign anyone $ wise, here's what I see.

1) Max Scherzer - RH Starter with a Cy Young on the resume. Cost will be astronomical, but Sale/Scherzer/Quintana/Rodon for the next several years is quite the rotation in their primes. Playoff worthy with even a little offense. Then it depends on who is hot anyway (ie Giants winning 3 of the last 5 with a similar mentality).

4) Hanley Ramirez - DH option that KW has always loved. Health could be better with no defensive responsibilities, but could also fill in at 3B. Cost will be astronomical, but would fit right in.

5) Pablo Sandoval - Good fit, no way he's leaving SF.

6) Victor Martinez - Great fit, for two years at any price. 3-4 years would be throwing away $ and a possible Dunn 2.0.

8) Russell Martin - Cost will be too high, but he would fit perfectly.

9) Nelson Cruz - Another big masher possibility. Would be a poor man's Hanley offensively at the DH spot with a shorter contract.

10) Yasmany Tomas - We Heart Cubanos

17) Andrew Miller - Bullpen stud. Should be stellar most years of contract.

28) Michael Morse - DH potential fill in short term. Reasonable price.

29) Michael Cuddyer - DH option.

32) Luke Gregerson - Because we didn't learn our Padres lesson with Scott Linestink.

35) Sergio Romo - Coop will fix him.

38) Ryan Vogelsong - RH SP Option with Coop will fix him potential.

40) Nori Aoki - Spark type player who would pair well w Eaton as a 1-2 lead in for Abreu.

41) Billy Butler - Still on 29, has forgot how to hit, but I remember this guy killing us for years. He's not too old to re-figure it out and be a great DH option.

43) Emilio Bonafacio - And I was like....Emilio!!!!

46) Brandon Morrow - Coop?

50) Jung-ho Kang - Potential 2B option like Tomas, but cheaper.

HM) Chad Billingsly - Coop?

HM) Luke Kochevar - Coop?

HM) AJP - Why not? Have we figured out something better since?

Those are my thoughts. I'm thinking we do most of our big moves via trade.

I'd rather see the Sox spend the money on Sandoval or Martin or one of the big 3 pitchers than Martinez. I'm not a big fan of DH only players. Unless the team goes yankeesk an buys up all the top FA's with a 160/70m payroll, I'm out on Martinez. Rasmus might not be a bad pickup for a Yr. or 2 an Gregerson may not be good in our park but we do need bullpen help an he at least stays healthy. Aoki might not be a bad bet either. We really need to look for defensive upgrades an bullpen help. I strongly believe a better defense will make our pitchers better.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
I'd rather see the Sox spend the money on Sandoval or Martin or one of the big 3 pitchers than Martinez. I'm not a big fan of DH only players. Unless the team goes yankeesk an buys up all the top FA's with a 160/70m payroll, I'm out on Martinez. Rasmus might not be a bad pickup for a Yr. or 2 an Gregerson may not be good in our park but we do need bullpen help an he at least stays healthy. Aoki might not be a bad bet either. We really need to look for defensive upgrades an bullpen help. I strongly believe a better defense will make our pitchers better.

If you sign Sandoval, you're practically committing yourself to trading Gillaspie since Sandoval is a better version of Gillaspie. Headley, Markakis, and Cruz would likely be my top 3 FA targets.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
If you sign Sandoval, you're practically committing yourself to trading Gillaspie since Sandoval is a better version of Gillaspie. Headley, Markakis, and Cruz would likely be my top 3 FA targets.

Yes I know an I'm a big fan of Gilli's but his defense is lacking a bit. He might bring us a decent trade though...I do like your picks but I worry about Headley an the way it looks now the O's might resign both Markakis and Cruz. I'm not saying Sandoval would be ideal but saying I'd rather spend the money on a player than on a DH an I know it might cost a couple mil. more for Sandoval but we'll get much better defense and a decent possible trade chip, or 1B/DH out of Gilli

Edited by AlSoxfan

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
As far as I'm concerned, the White Sox have enough $ to sign any free agent. This would limit the price tag of other additions obviously, but our payroll can take on any contract. Not saying it is smart to do so, but it could be done.

Out of that MLBTR list these players would fit on our team nicely. Cost will be up to debate, but purely from a baseball standpoint, and the fact that we could sign anyone $ wise, here's what I see.

1) Max Scherzer - RH Starter with a Cy Young on the resume. Cost will be astronomical, but Sale/Scherzer/Quintana/Rodon for the next several years is quite the rotation in their primes. Playoff worthy with even a little offense. Then it depends on who is hot anyway (ie Giants winning 3 of the last 5 with a similar mentality).

4) Hanley Ramirez - DH option that KW has always loved. Health could be better with no defensive responsibilities, but could also fill in at 3B. Cost will be astronomical, but would fit right in.

5) Pablo Sandoval - Good fit, no way he's leaving SF.

6) Victor Martinez - Great fit, for two years at any price. 3-4 years would be throwing away $ and a possible Dunn 2.0.

8) Russell Martin - Cost will be too high, but he would fit perfectly.

9) Nelson Cruz - Another big masher possibility. Would be a poor man's Hanley offensively at the DH spot with a shorter contract.

10) Yasmany Tomas - We Heart Cubanos

17) Andrew Miller - Bullpen stud. Should be stellar most years of contract.

28) Michael Morse - DH potential fill in short term. Reasonable price.

29) Michael Cuddyer - DH option.

32) Luke Gregerson - Because we didn't learn our Padres lesson with Scott Linestink.

35) Sergio Romo - Coop will fix him.

38) Ryan Vogelsong - RH SP Option with Coop will fix him potential.

40) Nori Aoki - Spark type player who would pair well w Eaton as a 1-2 lead in for Abreu.

41) Billy Butler - Still on 29, has forgot how to hit, but I remember this guy killing us for years. He's not too old to re-figure it out and be a great DH option.

43) Emilio Bonafacio - And I was like....Emilio!!!!

46) Brandon Morrow - Coop?

50) Jung-ho Kang - Potential 2B option like Tomas, but cheaper.

HM) Chad Billingsly - Coop?

HM) Luke Kochevar - Coop?

HM) AJP - Why not? Have we figured out something better since?

Those are my thoughts. I'm thinking we do most of our big moves via trade.

Honestly depends on if the front office feels we are close and if they want to make the playoffs next year. I could easily see this putting us in the playoffs:

Nelson Cruz - Masher to pair up with Abreu from the OF

Sergio Romo - Classic Coop can Fix him

Billy Butler - High OBP, high average, fences will give him more HR; hit in playoffs again

Ryan Vogelsong - Coop can fix him too!

I need 3 of the 4 above

and if JR wants to go balls in:

Hanley Ramirez - Plug him in at 3B or SS(move Alexei to 2B)

C - Flowers

1B - Abreu

2B - Semien

3B - Ramirez

SS - Ramirez

OF - Cruz

OF - Eaton

OF - Garcia

DH - Butler

Potential Lineup:

Eaton

Butler

Abreu

Cruz

H Ramirez

A Ramirez

Garcia

Semien

Flowers

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
No amount of bats are going to be worth the price of watching a sham of a bullpen choke up leads late. That's the biggest fix on the table. That and a LF'er.

Thing is, getting a LF should help the bats. As far as bullpen, that honestly is year to year. You can be great one year and then suck the next. It's the hardest thing to predict. I would look for guys who had previous success but just had down years(not due to age). Sign them on one or two year deals.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
No amount of bats are going to be worth the price of watching a sham of a bullpen choke up leads late. That's the biggest fix on the table. That and a LF'er.

I could not agree more!

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
I would like to add Panda but the Red Sox are going to go hard after him.

Panda is my first FA choice to sign but he's looking for over 100M+ and 6-7 years so I'm kinda doubting JR goes that long for that much.

Greggerson and Romo would make me happy. I'm not big on the UFA hitters this offseason but Hanley Ramirez really intrigues me. I think he'd hit great at the Cell and fits in better with a team like the Sox where there's pressure but not the pressure of playing for the Yankees-West (LAD).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 05:20 AM)
Romo's velocity is down bad and I don't like paying guys for their production in a pitcher-friendly ballpark in the NL.

Gergorson is another guy who built a track record in two pitcher-friendly parks. In fact, he has pitched in SD an OAK which have the lowest BABIPs from 2009-2012. I am not saying he's not a good piece, but I do think his market is going to be higher than he's going to be worth.

I didn't know this about Romo. thanks for the info.

but with Gergorson, still might be a solid pickup.

I also been thinking, with the way the sox pitchers played and as closer,

the sox may just invest in arms. pitchers who can start or relieve. like this

if there is a injury, they would not be caught flat footed again.