Miguel Montero traded to Cubs

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
The last time Montero had the BABIP luck Flowers did last season, he was worth 4.6 WAR, and that probably underestimated him by a lot because he's a great framer

Steamer has him projected for 3 WAR (again, consider framing) and Flowers for 0.9 (framing to be considered here too but not as much)

He'd be an unquestionable upgrade

What's his SIERA?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
upgrade would be marginal. Sub .700 OPS the last 2 years.

Flowers was a warrior out there last year; barely had a day off.

LF, SP, DH and some defense in LF are much greater needs.

How about some young players with upside?

I'd take him, but I wouldn't give up much. You can a lot worse than a Flowers / Montero platoon.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
We're being too nice to Tyler Flowers. Get that bum out of town.

Last year he was definitely worth more than his contract. We've been rough on him. Last year he deserved respect as he made changes that paid off some.

If we're talking about a player being worth what he's paid, then there is zero issue to have with Flowers. The problems with the White Sox absolutely do not start with a defense-first catcher with 700 OPS. The needs and expectations elsewhere were far bigger 2014 failures.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Catcher may also be a position in which the Sox have some prospects reasonably close who could turn into serviceable major league catchers.

I am anxious to see if Phegley can hit ML pitching in 2015, which I assume will be his last shot.

Smith had a good year and I recall Northside being reasonably bullish on him.

Neito will probably be the AA catcher; he was overmatched in the majors but wasn't that bad either.

Flowers was near the top in baseball in throwing runners out. I'll take league average at catcher. To get otherwise, you have to either a)develop your own, b) pay a huge premium or c)try to convince yourself that the Monteros or Castros are elite and even then the clock will strike 12 eventually.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
We don't know a 100 percent montero can't hit again. We do know the sox catchers can't hit to begin with. One stat I didn't realize is flowers struck out 159 times last year. We need to try to upgrade that spot if possible. Now I could possibly see a danks for montero swap. The dbacks are pretty desperate for pitching. Montero has had 2 down seasons in a row and his 40 million over the next 3 seasons is a sunk cost as in danks 28 million for 2 yrs is with us. If the dbacks are tying to ask for something better then the likes of danks then they are going to eating a ton of money.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think getting Montero would be a bad thing. He's a much better defensive catcher and framer. I think his bat will come back around as well but even if not we would still be better off. I just don't want to waste what little money the sox has to spend on upgrading the catcher when we still need SP, an LF. Even still I wouldn't complain if we got him. Then again Flowers has magic glasses

Edited by AlSoxfan

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:15 AM)

like wow, very interesting reading, i didn't know that great find. i didn't know the

sox were involve looking for that pitcher. wow, i wonder what it would take,

like wow, i wonder if we can package a better group of prospects than the others

teams. like wow.

seriously, i know reporters have a real hard job, but i really find this really funny, if

it is true, they would look on a forum for stories.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:34 AM)
like wow, very interesting reading, i didn't know that great find. i didn't know the

sox were involve looking for that pitcher. wow, i wonder what it would take,

like wow, i wonder if we can package a better group of prospects than the others

teams. like wow.

seriously, i know reporters have a real hard job, but i really find this really funny, if

it is true, they would look on a forum for stories.

Just typical Bruce Levine is all. All he does is regurgitate what already been written because, for some outlandish reason, people still read his garbage. Even bathroom stalls have the latest rumors written on them before Levine writes about them. Hmmmm, maybe that's where Levine gets his ideas from, s***ty ideas from the s***ter, who knew? An imbicile you are, Levine! :D

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
Just typical Bruce Levine is all. All he does is regurgitate what already been written because, for some outlandish reason, people still read his garbage. Even bathroom stalls have the latest rumors written on them before Levine writes about them. Hmmmm, maybe that's where Levine gets his ideas from, s***ty ideas from the s***ter, who knew? An imbicile you are, Levine! :D

Never misspell things when you are calling someone an IMBECILE :P

Don't want Montero. Don't think he's much of an upgrade over Flowers. And at 3 years/40 million at age 31, no thanks. Not to mention, since his contract extension, he hasn't done anything.

Give me Grandal or Castro who is younger and with similar stats with proven past seasons. That is if Sox were to upgrade the C position.

• 2 weeks later...