Victor Martinez Re-signs with Tigers

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Victor Martinez

• Yes
    • No

Soxtalk seems split on whether or not VMArt would be a good addtion. So here's your chance to make your opinions known. Of course you might have caveats depending on contract length and dollars so feel free to voice them.

I will start with Victor at 3 yrs I can handle but 4 years is too long. Of course there's a chance at his age that his production falls. It probably will considering just how good he was last year but he's still better than most options. I want the Sox to get another ring and that might not happen untl we get another legit bat with Abreu ( other additions ,of course ,also must be made)

Edited by southsider2k5

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
Good addition, but a bad idea if we are talking about 4 years, probably even at three.

Damn you answered already . Can you pls make this a poll with a simple I want Victor or I do not want Victor choice? I swore I did it right but screwed it up. Any mod/god please fix .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
And we'll be hunting for a new SS?

We got this fella by the name of Tim Anderson who should be pretty good....And who will be paid pennies.

Not to mention that rotation that will feature Sale, Q, and Rodon who will be making about 20M combined.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
Playing your top prospect= rebuilding? Huh, didn't know that. We should just trade him then.

If you're going to spend big money to bring in Victor Martinez then that would seem like a sensible move to me. $15 per over 3+ for a 36 year old DH is an "All in this year" move if I've ever seen one.

The other thing to consider is with Sale and Q signed for the long term there really isn't anyone you have to come up with big bucks the next 3 years to sign. Rodney is not going to be a guy that signs himself to something delaying free agency. The stars are aligned just like with Abreu. As long as Detroit doesn't go nuts and there are signs they are getting close to their limit, this is a great gamble to take. Abreu and Martinez would be a dynamic duo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
The other thing to consider is with Sale and Q signed for the long term there really isn't anyone you have to come up with big bucks the next 3 years to sign. Rodney is not going to be a guy that signs himself to something delaying free agency. The stars are aligned just like with Abreu. As long as Detroit doesn't go nuts and there are signs they are getting close to their limit, this is a great gamble to take. Abreu and Martinez would be a dynamic duo.

Rodney? Autocorrect snicker.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
If you're going to spend big money to bring in Victor Martinez then that would seem like a sensible move to me. $15 per over 3+ for a 36 year old DH is an "All in this year" move if I've ever seen one.

Still not following. So 3 years from now, with Anderson starting the year in AA this coming year, it would be rebuilding to play him?

There isn't a question that it is somewhat of a gamble to tender a three or four year contract to a 36 year old. However, he is not worn down by playing the field, is a switch hitter, has always made excellent contact with low strike out rates, and really fits our lineup "like a glove". In some respects you could consider him a switch hitting Harold Baines, late in his own career (who, by the way, had productive seasons as a 39 and 40 year old).

He would mentor all of our young Hispanic hitters, could occasionally rest Abreu by playing a little first base, and would be a major improvement in almost every respect from Adam Dunn. My earlier suggestion for hitters in free agency was to combo Kendry Morales with Melky Cabrera, but I do not have a problem signing V-Mart, even to a four year deal.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Still not following. So 3 years from now, with Anderson starting the year in AA this coming year, it would be rebuilding to play him?

I'd say so yeah. You're counting on the money from Alexei to be freed up to make that ok, so we're playing a rookie at the back of the lineup and downgrading from the veteran who's had that position for years?

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
There isn't a question that it is somewhat of a gamble to tender a three or four year contract to a 36 year old. However, he is not worn down by playing the field, is a switch hitter, has always made excellent contact with low strike out rates, and really fits our lineup "like a glove". In some respects you could consider him a switch hitting Harold Baines, late in his own career (who, by the way, had productive seasons as a 39 and 40 year old).

He would mentor all of our young Hispanic hitters, could occasionally rest Abreu by playing a little first base, and would be a major improvement in almost every respect from Adam Dunn. My earlier suggestion for hitters in free agency was to combo Kendry Morales with Melky Cabrera, but I do not have a problem signing V-Mart, even to a four year deal.

As i've said repeatedly, counting on a guy who just had by far the best year of his career to repeat those numbers at age 36 is at least a very poor gamble.

Victor was actually worse on defense in UZR than Dunn was, both overall and on a per inning basis, so at the very least he's "Just as bad as Dunn" on defense". He's also "Just as bad as Dunn" was last year on baserunning. The only aspect he's an improvement over Adam Dunn is with the bats, and 2013 Victor Martinez and 2014 Adam Dunn put up nearly identical RC+ numbers.

Basically, if Victor Martinez put up a similar season to what he put up in 2013 rather than his ungodly career year in 2014, he'd be almost exactly as productive as Adam Dunn was in 2014 for the White Sox in every single aspect of the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
I'd say so yeah. You're counting on the money from Alexei to be freed up to make that ok, so we're playing a rookie at the back of the lineup and downgrading from the veteran who's had that position for years?

Just because a rookie takes a spot doesn't mean you are rebuilding. Teams need an infusion of youth. The timing looks like it will be about right The Sox will have vets at plenty of other positions.

Signing a good DH isn't all in - it means you're competing. It may be a year early to sign someone like V Mart. But certainly by 2016 the Sox should be in a position to contend.